Popular Tags: [View All]
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play a learning game with someone here, online on the Geek?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to first go through your manual, and use whiteout to change:
internal conflict = revolt
external conflict = war
Now it should become somewhat readable. The rules aren't really complex, just different from other games.

Other than that, I agree with BaSL. Play here on the geek. After your first external conflict war you should be on your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with shub.

1. Internal conflict = revolt

2. External conflict = war

3. http://www.gametableonline.com/ <----- has free online version. The AI stinks but you will learn the rules. Expect a rude awakening vs. human opponents after beating up on the AI.

4. For me, the exceptions and special rules were the hardest to remember. The conflicts are printed on the player screens, but the special rules aren't. This is how I remember them.

There are 4 special rules, one for each color.

red temples - every leader must be beside a temple and they are used for revolts.

blue farms - only placed on rivers

black settlements - the black king leader can collect for other colors of tiles

green markets - the green leader can take treasures when he is in a kingdom with two

This is only a start, you still need to learn the basic rules, scoring, and conflicts, but if you take a look at the online versions of the game you shouldn't have any trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Keetman
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my husband and I have the same problem.
After three tries (and three fights...) we put the game away.
Maybe next year or so we'll try again :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
To be very honest, I don't 'get' this nearly never-ending stream of people who don't 'get' E&T. Two types of conflict, one instigated by placing a leader, the other by placing a tile; the first one just counts neighbouring red temples, the second one counts all supporters in the separate kingdoms. Add supporting tiles if desired, take away the loser, award points: 1 red cube in the former case, as many cubes in the colour of the defeated leader as supporters removed PLUS 1 for the defeated leader in the latter. Practice the examples in the rulebook until you can dream them, even if it is just meaningless motions at that point.

Strategy: scare away leaders with many supporters by means of leader placement, using disaster tiles if necessary. Then go stand there yourself. Connect to monuments in colours you don't easily acquire. Be flexible, don't try and build up impregnable positions---you'll be chased off sooner or later---and be prepared to pack up shop if a more profitable location appears. Cubes matter, kingdoms do not. If a player has a steady revenue stream in one colour, try and interrupt it before he has too large an amount for him to care about that colour any longer: you'll have 4 colours to worry about, he'll just have 3. Don't underestimate the power of the treasure cubes, they can be extremely useful from time to time, and since they are linked to the game's end, you can with some effort force it prematurely.

There, that's all you need to know to play good, challenging and fun games of E&T. It takes you about 10 times less time to read the above than I took to write it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me also suggest that you download Mark Johnson's "All About Euphrat & Tigris" podcast episode. The rules are discussed along with strategies. I listened to this in the car several times and it helped quite a bit. Having the game in front of you while listening should help a lot.

http://boardgamestogo.com/2005/11/bgtg-43-nov-6-2005-all-abo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I read the rulebook a few times, and it never made much sense to me either.

I played one online game on bgg, and I got it right away.

Actually seeing the conflicts occur and get resolved, instead of just reading about them, makes a huge difference and is a great help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vic and Delia,

If you want to do a learning game, I'll play one with you. I can explain stuff as we go.

Send me a message if you're interested.

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually playing the game is the best way to learn. Either play here on BGG OR play on one of the Java versions against the slightly retarded computer. I linked to one in my post above.

You really need to give this game a second chance--- its that good. (And this is coming from someone who isn't particularly fond of games where you collect little wooden cubes)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Vic,

If you'd like to play a learning game here on BGG just let me know and I'll set one up and send you the password to join. It's an outstanding game, and well worth the effort to learn and understand it. I think it takes at least a few games to fully appreciate it, and just gets better and better with more plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sign up for a couple on-line games here on the BGG. Sure you won't know what your doing half the time but just try things out. What's the worst that can happen? When you wonder, hey why'd that happen (e.g. your loosing leader just disappeared), go check out the rules. I guarantee after four or five games played over about as many days, you'll understand it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Merchant
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cry I also struggle with Tigris, not so much from the point of view that I don't understand the rules, but I can't tell what is the the correct tactic within a game on a given turn.

I play against people who win by averaging around 3.5+ points per turn, and my average appears to fall around 1.5.

I think I fall prey to trying to do too much in a turn, using my destructor tiles too early and building monuments in the wrong places.

Tensions within the game:

+ Without access to monuments you lose. Yet by building them you weaken a give city in that colour (opening to conflict).
+ When is the rght time to refresh times?

Feels vaguely like Caylus when I seem to telegraph my intentions too early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.