The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Defending, attacking and readying effects. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jendrzej Szemis
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm just looking for some clarification for how defending and attacking works with readying effects. If you have a character with unexpected courage for example can you:

1. simply ready them during the defense portion of the phase to defend against 2 different attacks?
2. simply ready them during the attack portion of the phase to attack 2 different enemies?
3. if an enemy attacks you twice for some reason, can you ready twice to defend from the same enemy?
4. you can't attack the same enemy twice right?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pereira
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
I am fairly new to the game myself but I think the answer to all your questions is yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Kamiński
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Roberto is right.
Specifically, Unexpected Courage has Action keyword printed on it, so you can use it in any action window.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Montgomery G
Australia
Bayswater
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I though that you could attack the same enemy twice, but the attacks would be counted as separate attacks. For example attacking twice with a hero with a strength of 2 would not produce a total attack value of 4, but 2 attacks of 2 each (which would not overcome a defence of 2 or more)

Does that make sense??? Too many 2s!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
montydownunder wrote:
I though that you could attack the same enemy twice, but the attacks would be counted as separate attacks. For example attacking twice with a hero with a strength of 2 would not produce a total attack value of 4, but 2 attacks of 2 each (which would not overcome a defence of 2 or more)

I believe the rules state that you can only declare an attack on each enemy once during the combat phase. (The exception to this is if you use event cards that allow you to make an attack in an Action window.)

So the OP is correct when they ask whether you could use Unexpected Courage to Ready after attacking one enemy so that the same character can attack a different enemy in the same phase.

But you are not allowed to attack an enemy with a character, ready them using UC, and then declare a second attack on the same enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Boggs
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
montydownunder wrote:

No

A player cannot declare two attacks against the same enemy, even with different characters. For example. Player A can only declare one attack against Enemy Z. He can use as many ready characters as he wishes in that attack. However once that attack is resolved, he cannot declare another attack against that enemy, even if he has ready characters.

Note that I said declare attacks. A player can join in another players' attack against an enemy as well as declare an attack themselves against the same enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Kamiński
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
defensiveian wrote:
I believe the rules state that you can only declare an attack on each enemy once during the combat phase. (The exception to this is if you use event cards that allow you to make an attack in an Action window.)(...)

Yes, you can use such card as Quick Strike to declare additional attack against an enemy and it is possible to attack the same enemy twice same turn that way.
You can also use Response effects, such as on Anduril from the Road Darkens Saga expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a detailed overview over the steps and action windows of each phase I highly recommend this file.

Lots of fun playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.