Nexus Ops» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Everybody's picking on me - for good reason rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
After the exploration phase, it looked pretty bad for me. I had discovered two 2 mines. Ordinarily, I think that would be good, but when you go first you get less rubium to start, and 2 mines don't come with any free units. So I think the 2 mines really just made me look like a target, yet I didn't have much of a force to defend myself. Indeed, both my neighbors Dirk and John quickly moved against me.

I managed to hold out with some tactical moves, and I never lost either of those mines during the whole game. Near the middle of the game, I got some lucky opportunities to use my secret mission cards, and claimed six points in one turn on three battles. That put me in the lead with eight points. But it also just about cleared out my hand of secret mission cards, meaning getting many more points would be tough.

Dirk dealt a crippling blow to me. I had stacked a lava space with a lava leaper and four crystallines. I had thought that would be a sufficient defensive force, but I had overextended myself. Dirk built rock striders, which were immediately in range, and brought in a large force, and also had two rubium dragons breathe fire from the next space over. My force was wiped out and only destroyed one fungoid on his side.

Ron steadily caught up to me, and after that point Dirk decided he was the biggest threat, since he tied me for points and had a larger force and a large hand of energize cards. Subsequently those two battled back and forth over the monolith. Ron picked up two more points.

I had been picking up pretty bad secret mission draws, with two that applied only to rubium dragons, of which I had none. Still, I had one good one, and I figured I'd better take a shot at it. I divided my forces into three battles. I won on the monolith and scored a two-point secret mission. I won a battle of three crystallines vs. two, but I had to use a critical objective card to do it. In my last battle, my lava leaper rolled a 1, but I got Dirk down to one unit with three humans still to fight. None of them managed to roll a six, though, so I finished with 11 points.

Dirk took a stab at it too, racking up a two-point secret mission and another battle where he scored a one-point white secret mission and 1 point for the battle. In his last battle, my lava leaper rolled a 1 again, but he needed to kill four of my guys with his two rock striders and three crystallines in a crystal space. So he needed four out of five hits on four or better. He got three. He still managed to kill two humans and claim another white secret objective, but he also finished with 11 points.

Ron had plenty of battles, mostly easy, that he could enter to get his last two points, and he managed to get those two and two extra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Dragon
United States
Willows
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
Dirk dealt a crippling blow to me. I had stacked a lava space with a lava leaper and four crystallines. I had thought that would be a sufficient defensive force, but I had overextended myself. Dirk built rock striders, which were immediately in range, and brought in a large force, and also had two rubium dragons breathe fire from the next space over. My force was wiped out and only destroyed one fungoid on his side.

I was as amazed at the result as you were. (By the way, I am sure that was a leaper and five crystallines, not four.) First, I had to hit twice with the dragon fire, eliminating two crystallines. Then your leaper missed, so I didn't lose any attackers. Then I had two new striders and one brought in from a neighboring hex, and a battle card that let one of the two misses hit, so I eliminated two more crystallines. Then with my three crystallines against your remaining one, I got two hits to your one, and you were out of there for my single fungoid lost. At that point I seriously considered putting you out of business on the next few turns, but Ron was starting to look pretty dangerous from his control of the monolith, so I turned away. I doubt I'll see another battle like that one any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.