Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a way to easily and as cleanly remove stickers that shops add to games.
You know them those that mark a discount or just mention the price or worse those that have an embedded chip to protect against stealing.

but once you are home they are a big eyesore on your game.
So how do you guy's remove those unwanted sticking pieces of paper?? without destroying the art on your box

Your input is very welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think that any of my games have price stickers on like this. They were wrapped in cellophane/shrink-wrap when purchased....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A hair-dryer is very good, also an ironing it with a think blanket covering the box (this is more cumbersome though). Once the glue is warm enough, the label should peel off easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a bunch of Warhammer invasion expansions . Fantasy flight doesn't use cellophane on the outside . so all stickers go directly on the box
That's why I'm asking. Lord of the rings LCG has the same problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded for the hairdryer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Komodo wrote:

I remove labels from games purchased at thrift stores with a hair dryer... which I also purchased at a thrift store for only three dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Komodo wrote:

I remove labels from games purchased at thrift stores with a hair dryer... which I also purchased at a thrift store for only three dollars.

But how did you get the label off the hair dryer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with the one you lend from your girlfriend

But i will sure try this hairdryer solution and let you know if it worked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 hair dryer. And another +1 for thrift-store-junkie acquired skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kasimirtlw wrote:
I'm looking for a way to easily and as cleanly remove stickers that shops add to games... to protect against stealing.

It really depends on whether you are trying to remove the sticker before or after stealing it. Using the hairdryer in the store aisle to remove the sticker before stealing might not be a very good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kursplat2 wrote:
kasimirtlw wrote:
I'm looking for a way to easily and as cleanly remove stickers that shops add to games... to protect against stealing.

It really depends on whether you are trying to remove the sticker before or after stealing it. Using the hairdryer in the store aisle to remove the sticker before stealing might not be a very good idea.

I would've thought the staff become suspicious when you ask for somewhere to plug it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
Kursplat2 wrote:
kasimirtlw wrote:

I would've thought the staff become suspicious when you ask for somewhere to plug it in.

Use a hairdryer that works on solar energy. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
negatrev wrote:
Kursplat2 wrote:
kasimirtlw wrote:

Use a hairdryer that works on solar energy. whistle

Takes a poor store to display their board games in direct sunlight...the faded horror soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the hair-dryer solution work with other types of glue? I'm thinking specifically of inserts glued to the box, like in the Thunderstone expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the glue. A hairdryer gets hot enough for most. But some glues 'set' once dry/cool and heat won't work. For those you need a solvent instead, these risk damaging what the glue is attached to unless you know all the materials and the solvent well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.