Cameron Blakley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
When I saw all my extra dice after opening my boosters the very first thought in my head was"it would fun to make people pick characters based off pulls from a dice bag." I'm insanely indecisive when it comes to casual play so I always randomize selections when I can and just roll with the results.

My main issue is I never ever hear about anyone coming up with a good detailed draft that starts with pulling a character die out, so it's obviously a bad idea. What I want to do is: I will describe what we've been doing, and I want to hear why my idea is clearly stupid and wrong or at least ways to make it more fun.

I put 1 die for each character (each color counts as a separate character) into a dice bag and we take turns pulling out 10-12 dice (depending upon the agreed upon amount) pick 8 and then try to build a strategy with those characters, allowing full access to all the corresponding cards of that die (when available, a couple cards have continued to elude me). Now this draft/randomization method seems so straightforward that it makes me wonder why I don't see any discussion about it, so where do my flaws lie? Does giving full access to the cards make it too easy to strategize? Should I have doubles of some character dice? What should I do to increase the fun factor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with your idea. Especially if you enjoy doing it that way. For me, it sounds like an extra step that I just don't need - I prefer building my own teams anyway, and in a situation where drafting comes into play (usually because both players want the same cards, or in a 4 player game where allowing everyone to look through all the cards would take too long), it seems easiest to just let everyone pick 1 character at a time until they get to 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once someone has picked a character, do they have access to more than 1 of that die? Because most character benefit from having multiple of that die.

Aside from that, it definitely seems interesting. I think the Rainbow Draft format has a lot of interesting strategy in it, since knowing how many and what dice are available for drafting factors into your decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Blakley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
To clarify, one of the main reasons we do it this way, other than to give the extra dice something to do, is that we keep all the cards in a binder, and pulling out a couple hundred cards every time we want to draft play is crazy, and it also makes sure players still have access to cards that we only have one copy of that wouldn't go into a "draft deck." And to go answer the first post "picking a character until they get 8" is the entire thing I'm trying to avoid because indecisiveness is leading to character selection taking twice as long as a whole game. At least with this method, people are locked into a character and only have 3-4 choices each and the choices get pretty automatic once you see what dice you've drawn and what works together.

And as for the second post, as of right now we allow full access to the dice collection as well, so they can place the 20 dice as they see fit, the dice bag is purely a character selection randomizer. Which is one of the reasons I posted this, for ideas to make this method a little more complete and a little more than a character randomizer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a decent idea. The only thing I can compare it to is a sealed Rainbow Draft, but this is really coming at it from a different angle. If it works for you, go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zetaspawn wrote:
To clarify, one of the main reasons we do it this way, other than to give the extra dice something to do, is that we keep all the cards in a binder, and pulling out a couple hundred cards every time we want to draft play is crazy, and it also makes sure players still have access to cards that we only have one copy of that wouldn't go into a "draft deck." And to go answer the first post "picking a character until they get 8" is the entire thing I'm trying to avoid because indecisiveness is leading to character selection taking twice as long as a whole game. At least with this method, people are locked into a character and only have 3-4 choices each and the choices get pretty automatic once you see what dice you've drawn and what works together.

And as for the second post, as of right now we allow full access to the dice collection as well, so they can place the 20 dice as they see fit, the dice bag is purely a character selection randomizer. Which is one of the reasons I posted this, for ideas to make this method a little more complete and a little more than a character randomizer.

Just to clarify, all I meant was that picking characters works fine for my group so that's why this would be an unnecessary complication for us - but it sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea and if it works for you then you most definitely should use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Rawlings
msg tools
mb
I see that you have found the post in the DnD forum.

Have you infused some sort of "hate drafting"?

Have you tried "pre-making" the dice bags?

Something that could be "more fun" (but also less strategic) would be to roll your pics: level 1= common, level 2= uncommon, level 3= rare/super
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Blakley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I don't hate the idea of rolling for your cards, but man you could get stuck with some pretty rough pulls, maybe have a limited re roll rule so you don't get stuck with no cards that cost less than 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Blakley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
SarkhanMad wrote:
The draft:
1. draw enough dice from bag so that reserve +draw =4 **** player 1, round 1 will just be "draw 4". because their reserve will be empty***

2.Roll and reroll. This will always be 4 dice.

3.energy dice are either returned to bag OR removed from draft.
active player's choice.

4. character dice are either fielded (now 1 of your 8) OR placed in opponents reserve( now 1 of their 4 dice for rolling). you MUST (if able) field 1 character per turn, and then(and only then)... you MUST (if able) place ALL remaining characters in opponents reserve.
***exception *** if you successfully roll a character face on any die that you are rolling multiples of that die, you may field all of those multiples that turn.
Note: once a character has been fielded/drafted, that character is unavailable to all other players.

5. continue drafting until each player has a team of 8.*** a player may complete his/her team of 8 before the other, but continues hate drafting * putting character(s) in opponents reserve (any ONE character they COULD normally field, would be spun down to energy and treated as such)

6. choose any version of the characters you drafted.
* you can also predetermine which version of each character will be used.

The bag:
make this however you want!!!
obviously, you want multiples. how many of what is up to you.
an idea * build 4 teams. 8 cards/20 dice. 1 team of entirely bolts and generic. 1 of entirely fists and generic. 1 for mask. 1 for shield. then take those 80 dice and throw in a bag.

I like a ton of this. It turns it closer to a real draft rather than a randomizer. But do I understand it correctly that you are actually actively playing DURING the draft? That's very interesting indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Rawlings
msg tools
mb
No, but that thought did come to mind while writing it.... I wonder???????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Rawlings
msg tools
mb
The rule about players not drafting a previously drafted character is still up for debate with me.

It does 2 things:
It solves the problem of multiple players drafting a super rare, and only having 1SR card.
Also, makes for an interesting roll and reroll step... For example, the person to your left has already drafted that super rare's die. You better roll energy!!!
Maybe a rule that after your roll and reroll, if you posses a die that is already drafted by another player, they may request an additional roll. thoughts?

Of course, for the first problem you could always keep your draft picks in order by round drafted, and whoever drafted it first would get first pick at whichever version they want...
Or you could just set the version in the middle (with basic actions) and have only your drafted dice available to purchase during the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Blakley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I think a lot more thought needs to go into a die type draft. It's too easy an answer of what to do with all our extra dice. I like what's already coming up so far. It's a great idea that just needs a few kinks ironed out. My wife and I have a few more thoughts about different things like rolling your chosen die to pick which version you are using and maybe rolling a 4 sided to say that whatever you roll is the maximum amount of dice you can use and if you don't reach 20 you can add to them starting with the lowest amount. I'm at work so I can't elaborate too much right this second, but will later today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Rawlings
msg tools
mb
Tested this tonight. Took way too long!!!

New version:

The bag:

Combine whatever dice you want to draft into 1 communal bag.
If your familiar with a rainbow draft, imagine taking the rainbow, and dumping it into the bag (cards are not needed for setup)
Just make this however you want!!!
obviously, you want multiples. how many of what is up to you.
an idea * build 4 teams. 8 cards/20 dice. 1 team of entirely bolts and generic. 1 of entirely fists and generic. 1 for mask. 1 for shield. then take those 80 dice and throw in a bag.

The draft:

1. draw 4 dice from bag.

2. Roll and reroll your 4 dice, plus all dice passed to you from previous drafter. (See rule #4)

3. Dice showing energy face are returned to bag.

4. You may pick 1 die showing a character face for your team. You MUST (if able) pick 1 character per turn, and then you MUST (if able) pass ALL remaining characters to the next drafter on your left.
***exception *** if you successfully roll a character face on any die, and you are rolling multiples of that die this turn, you may field all of those multiples this turn.

5. continue drafting until all players have at least 8 characters.

6. choose your team of 8 and you may use any version of the characters you drafted.
* you can also predetermine which version of each character will be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Rawlings
msg tools
mb

My original version of this had a max 4 dice roll and a rule that once a character was drafted, no one else could draft it. This was awesome, because if player 1 unfortunately drew a character that player 3 already had, player 1 would intentionally try to roll character face and therefore "pass" it to player 2. (which meant that player 2 now had 1 of their 4 dice a dead draw). Very defensive gameplay. I loved it! The major flaw with this was that towards the middle/end of the draft, we were coming up with some pretty dead draws. Many times, 1 out of our 4 dice was actually draftable... and occasionally, none were. This may not be an issue with 2 player...
I have changed the rule to draw 4 + dice passed, and I wonder if that will allow me to keep the uniqueness rule...?
As far as results, my son drafted a shield team that curved out perfectly... My daughter drafted all 4 black canary's... and my team was horrible...

My main goal here is to be able to draft teams where you end up with more than 1 die on MOST of your characters. That was accomplished, but at the expense of having dead pulls in the end...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walker
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit I haven't carefully read each post here, but this a is a variant that my brother and I have used:

Fill a bag with every die. Draw four dice. At this point you may take a mulligan (but those dice previously drawn are set aside). Either draw your next four or draw your new eight. If you do not have at least one 3-cost option (much less likely with Uncanny now in play), you may start again. After both teams' characters are set, your opponent chooses one of your character's cards that you will play (i.e. Makes you use Black Widow Natural instead of Tsarina). Then fill out the rest of your team as you choose.

I have all the cards so this works pretty clean usually, but I'm sure with a smaller pool of cards it may be a little more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Rawlings
msg tools
mb
I have this setup on Vassal with ALL sets if anyone wants to try it out...
contact me @gmail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bordelon
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing wrong in explaining a variant in this forum. Your variant is fine.
What i do in Duel of Ages 2 is, at 8 characters per player, two players: assign randomly 4 cards, face down, to each player. They secretly look at it. Then display 8 characters face up. Then each player alternatively takes a card, starting with the highest roll at a %dice. This has the advantage to force into play rarely used characters and at the same time to allow some kind of customization in gatherING your team.
one thing that disturbs me, in dice masters, is the possibility to have several dice of the same character in play. I suppose it is like that by design, it is just another version of the same character; but then only one version should be active at a time. It complicates the whole principle of 1 die = 1 character.
in your draft bag, unless you segregate dice in advance to make sure there is only one die per character, you might end up with 4 dice for a characer #A but 1 only for 6 other chars. Probabilities to draw #A are much higher. But I think the whole point to draft dice from a bag is not to waste time sorting out dice, so that it is in bulk, in a "black box", random in the sense "unknown" rather than in the sense "equal probabilities". To mitigate probabilities, you 'd need the same number of dice for each character in the bag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.