William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject line says most of it. I am trying to get my 8yr old and 12yr old into war type gaming. Have lots of fantasy games and would like a WWII style game. It has to be easy to get into, but challenging enough for me. Any reccomendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C: Ancients is amazing! It plays fast and it's extremelly rewarding. You choose one scenario from the book, set thing up, and battle it out. I enjoy it a lot and it get's a lot of plays, because it's so quick. Can't recommend it enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beholm wrote:
The subject line says most of it. I am trying to get my 8yr old and 12yr old into war type gaming. Have lots of fantasy games and would like a WWII style game. It has to be easy to get into, but challenging enough for me. Any reccomendations?

I'd start with either a Richard Borg Commands and Colors game (any of them, really), or Axis and Allies.

You can use that as a springboard to go to the Columbia block games (1759 and 1812 were recommended to me) or the simpler CDG games (We The People, Hannibal). Try to pick an appealing conflict; for many people WW2 fits the bill, but other kids may be interested in the ACW or American War of Independence. Still others might find the Crusades or ancient history appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For that age group, WWII, I'd have to say memoir 44. I've got a copy for trade if you are interested.

The only problem I think you'd have with memoir is that it isn't particularly challenging. A lot of people will disagree with me, as memoir has quite a following, but I just don't think there is a lot of strategic depth there.

I'd recommend either getting a seperate game for your kids and you, or using memoir to get them used to gaming so that you can play something more challenging with them in a couple of years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
Beholm wrote:
I am trying to get my 8yr old and 12yr old into war type gaming.

Are you hoping to have all three of you at the table at the same time and need a multi-player game? Are they playing against you separately so you can buy a normal 2-player game? Are both boys willing to co-operate on the same "team" against you so you can do a regular two-player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tesser
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an 8 year old boy who I game with. We play both Memoir 44 with expansions and C&C: Ancients. If you start with base Memoir and then add the expansions that would be good. The expansions add a bit more complexity to the game allowing you to build your kids up. I have raised my boys to play games :-) so in the case of my 8 year old he is familiar with different mechanics. If you haven't already done a lot of gaming with your boys start with Memoir and build. Once they learn Memoir and maybe the Eastern Front expansion introduce C&C. C&C has more strategic depth which will be good but for a child it is good for him to already have an understanding of the system.

For what it is worth my 8 year old is at this point able to play War of the Ring with me. He loves it. He is not able to beat me yet but he is getting better. About 6 months ago he played in a game of Brittiania against some good gamers, new to Brittiania though, and with little help he played green very successfully.

Help and encourage your boys to think about why they make certain moves or play certain cards. Help them think about things like, what will my opponent do, when is the best time to play this, am I opening myself up to my opponent if I do this. You will be amazed at how fast, with a bit of help and encouragement, your boys will start to be able to think through strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Silbey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell from your profile if you are more of a wargamer or eurogamer or something in between.

For a wargamer I'd suggest Axis & Allies. There is enough there to keep you interested and it is fairly simple. Expect your 8 year old to make some poor moves, be patient and the game should work. fwiw I played Axis & Allies with my father (the 1981 version) when I was around 7 or 8 and had a great time- one of my best gamign memories. I think the newer version is a bit more complicated and can take longer to play, although I've only played the newer game a few times so my opinion is somewhat uninformed.

If you are more of a eurogamer or traditional gamer, I'd suggest Memoir '44. Your 8 year old shouldn't have any trouble with it and there is some meat to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Helenoftroy wrote:
Memoir '44

Memoir '44? Easy to get into, yes. Challenging? No. Not at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr glaze et al wrote:
Beholm wrote:
I am trying to get my 8yr old and 12yr old into war type gaming.

Are you hoping to have all three of you at the table at the same time and need a multi-player game? Are they playing against you separately so you can buy a normal 2-player game? Are both boys willing to co-operate on the same "team" against you so you can do a regular two-player game?

If you are looking for a three player game, I would suggest a Columbia game, Napoleon. Other wise, Memoir would be good. Also see A House Divided which I've played with my 9 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two or three player wargames, easy to get into, and with some depth. One would also hope you are looking for replayability and cool bits to get the kids interested.

#1. Nexus Ops. Has cool, glow-in-the-dark pieces. Has relatively simple game play. Variable board and multiple secret victory conditions lead to a game with plenty of replayability. Surprisingly good game. Relatively cheap right now.

#2. Viktory II. Has cool plastic pieces. Has relatively simple game play. Variable board leads to a game with replayability. Really good game.

#3. World in War: Combined Arms 1939-1945. Has cool plastic bits. Relatively simple game play. Really good game. Although it has been compared with Axis & Allies (the original) it is only the European theater. Don't confuse this with Axis & Allies Europe, which is fatally flawed.

#4. Clash for a Continent: Battles of the American Revolution and French & Indian War and/or For Honor and Glory: War of 1812 Land and Naval Battles. Plays like the Command & Colors games, but doesn't have the battle cards, which can be very frustrating. Uses an action point system instead, which could be adapted to any of the Command & Colors games. You can download a copy of the rules for these games at www.worthingtongames.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.