Subject: Is Yog-Sothoth even beatable with more than 1 investigator? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my brother played against him a lot, each controlling 2 investigators (for a total of 4). We lost every time. Even when we didn't draw random investigators but rather chose the best ones. So we tried 1 investigator each, knowing that the games gets easier the less investigators are involved, and we still lost. Less spectaculariliy, but still. I then tried a solo game with 1 investigator and won rather easily. I did it again to verity it wasn't just dumb luck, and again I won. Which leads me to the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play 4, and I'm 30-70% against the new Yoggie. Tough, but beatable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am 1-4 against him, so a 20% win rate. I posted a summary of my winning game here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1337146/yog-rematch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any strategy to increase your chances of beating him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Usually GoA requires you to be patient and considerate in some choices. But with the new Yog time's against you, too many gate icons on the doomtrack and stuff so that you risk the situation goes out of hand pretty quickly.

Try to work on OWs. And use the trophies to clear the adventures, especially those having seals, so that you can make room for new gates without losing the option to choose where to put those gates.

You'll still need some more luck. His special ability is really terrifying. If you want some help, play Gloria, Jenny, Akachi and Amanda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To maximize your chances, you definitely want Gloria and Akachi as their abilities are almost guaranteed to be usable every day. Yog's restrictions at OW adventures are a major pain. For support, Patrice, Jenny, and Amanda are good.

Gloria is the lynchpin, as she should be able to attempt an otherworld adventure practically every day fully powered up (since she gets the red and yellow die free at OW adventures). Patrice can feed clues to Gloria and Jenny to help them complete the tougher OW adventures tat they will be blindly stumbing into. If you can, have Patrice attempt adventures that give clues as rewards or use location abilities that grant clues, as she gets an extra clue each time she gains a clue. Akachi is crucial for healing people -- Yog's ability practically guarantees she will be able to use it every day. You will need it.

There are going to be a lot of gates open, no matter what you do, so you are going to be in constant danger from the mythos cards that punish you for open gates. Midnight will be a mess. Chaining effects can get brutal. A bad combo is mythos card deals damage to investigators for each open gate > investigators devoured > doom tokens added > gates spawned from icons on doom track > monsters spawned from too many open gates > dice locked. Try to keep at least one place for a gate to go at all times (as Julia said, swap out locations with gate seals using the entrance ability) so that the board doesn't fill up with monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh snap. Up until now I was sure you can't swap locations with seals. I was reading the entrance card wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Also try to optimize usage for cards such as Museum Map: whenever you discard an Arkham adventure card with a gate open, the gate's discrded too and the OW closed. Once you figure out you have Kadath or some extremely difficult OW, use these cards to clear it from the gameboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I realize how awesome Museum Map and its unique item equivalent are, but they aren't drawn every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
True. You can't build any reliable strategy on having these items, I was just highlighting the fact that, in case you have them, save them for when you're really in need!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone. I was curious if Y-T had a recorded difficulty rating on the stats site, and was surprised with the results I found. It turns out that I had made a series of calculation errors which caused the "AO difficulty" table to be incorrect.

It has since been fixed: Yog-Sothoth is both the hardest and easiest AO (8% difficulty for base game; 69% for GoA)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArNdOESpLXrNdGF...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
You need stats for Arkham Nights Yoggie. As soon as I have a little time window, I'll play some with him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fifth
United States
flag msg tools
Additional advice to complement the excellent pointers above:

I've found that clues are critical when you can't focus, especially since Other Worlds seem to love asking for those ever-elusive terror results. They're usually worth a tick to grab from the Newspaper and Science Building. Other time trades are very risky, though, especially since you're bound to see a couple of OWs that require clock advances.

Spells are indeed diminished greatly by Yog, but don't entirely discount them either. When used by investigators doing work in Arkham (which should still be happening on plenty of turns), all five of the new expansion spells are very handy against Yog, and even basic securing spells can be useful to set aside dice for an OW attempt next turn. No need to spend a lot of resources pursuing them specifically, though; even more than usual, spells are the side dish to your main course of clues and dice.

Don't feel obligated to keep red-difficulty Arkham Adventures around when you can help it--they're prime targets for gate placement or outright discarding (preferably both!). With the Other World spigot running at full blast, the red adventures' Elder Signs aren't as necessary, and they tend to hide locks and effects that are even worse than the OWs. (Although Hibb's Roadhouse tends to be worth my while when I've got the trophies and stamina...)

Remember, adventure rewards that restore sanity or stamina can be given to any investigator! (I overlooked this my first few plays.) By whatever means, keep anyone important at 2+ sanity and stamina, and 3+ if you can manage it. Then again, if an investigator's out of steam and not especially well suited to Yog, you just might be best off accepting the inevitable. A fresh face might be worth 1 doom token and a guilty conscience.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FifthWhammy wrote:
even basic securing spells can be useful to set aside dice for an OW attempt next turn.

Umm, no? you can't use spells in other worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
FifthWhammy wrote:
even basic securing spells can be useful to set aside dice for an OW attempt next turn.

Umm, no? you can't use spells in other worlds.

Underlined the key word. I think he is saying, stash a die on a spell now, following turn hit an OW, you're not using (casting) the spell in the OW, you're just grabbing the di(c)e on it, prepared in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But Yog-Sothoth says "Investigators cannot use spells." "Use", not "cast". "Cast" is securing a die on a spell, so I assume "use" is both securing and, well, using a die already secured. I'll ask support and post the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1095742/ithaquas-game-a...

Base Ithaqua is sorta similarly worded, using = securing the die, doing something with the die doesn't count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, Ithaqua says "spends", not "uses". Guess we'll just have to wait for official ruling (I already sent the question).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam's right, using spells implies casting, not spending the dice secured on spells by other investigators. Rules (pag 13 of the revise rulebook), third paragraph, read:

When a die is secured on a Spell card, it remains there until any player chooses to use it to complete a task, removes it from the spell to roll it (see “Removing Secured Dice” on page 14), or until another effect locks that die (see “Locked Dice” on page 12).

The first sentence refers to players using the die on a spell, not the spell. Any item is used in the moment you trigger its effect. This can be adding a die to your pool or securing a die for later use in case of spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they all mean the same thing, why then use different terms? Ithaqua says "spends", Yog says "use", and the spell Evocation of Horus says "cast". Either the rules are confusingly inconsistent, or that each term has different implications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Different game developers, different testing groups, and so on, I guess. But in any case, I'm really 100% sure of the spell thing for new Yog

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll know for certain soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kroen wrote:
If they all mean the same thing, why then use different terms? Ithaqua says "spends", Yog says "use", and the spell Evocation of Horus says "cast". Either the rules are confusingly inconsistent, or that each term has different implications.

Emphasis mine. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
If they all mean the same thing, why then use different terms?

Yes, FFG is known for their consistency.

Oh, wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fifth
United States
flag msg tools
To be fair, there's not a proofreader or editor to be found in Arkham! (And the author's time is better spent closing gates.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.