Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, similar to Amazon. I'm still scratching around trying to find something but I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. It'd be handy-dandy to have something like "oh, you like Arkham Horro? You're going to love A Touch of Evil, then". Like-minded geekbuddies are one way, and there's that menu thingy (although I'm not sure that works *exactly* as intended is another. Is there another way that I'm missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that a system like this would only deliver very similar games as results. But why do I need something that's almost identical to what I already have?
When I look for a new game, I want it to be different in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Black
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Isn't there a keyword option? That way you could find all the horror games and that's - at least - narrowing it down

Zombies / Cthulhu / fantasy / minis - there are loads of (admittedly generic) options

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing BGG has like that is the "Similarly Rated: View" option on a game page's "Stats" sections.

It scours BGG users for people who rated said game highly, and shows you other games they rated highly too.

For instance, the Similarly Rated page for Twilight Struggle can be found here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/similar/thing/12333

Unfortunately, a lot of expansion and deluxe content is always listed, and it's not the most useful of tools, but it's a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the RECOMMENDATIONS forums, start a thread, and say, "I like X because of A, B, and C."

They will consider your A-B-Cs, and give you plenty of Ys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
The only thing BGG has like that is the "Similarly Rated: View" option on a game page's "Stats" sections.

It scours BGG users for people who rated said game highly, and shows you other games they rated highly too.

For instance, the Similarly Rated page for Twilight Struggle can be found here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/similar/thing/12333

Unfortunately, a lot of expansion and deluxe content is always listed, and it's not the most useful of tools, but it's a start.

Good heavens, I thought I knew all of BGG's little nooks and crannies but that one passed me by. As you say, it gives, um, 'interesting' results...
Thanks for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the "Personalized Recommendations" thingy:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Kempeth/recommendations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Haas
United States
Lenexa
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think game mechanics is the way to go. So if you like worker placement, then search for other worker placement games, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Beattie
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
You know, similar to Amazon. I'm still scratching around trying to find something but I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. It'd be handy-dandy to have something like "oh, you like Arkham Horro? You're going to love A Touch of Evil, then". Like-minded geekbuddies are one way, and there's that menu thingy (although I'm not sure that works *exactly* as intended is another. Is there another way that I'm missing?

This kind of thing is called an item-based recommendation, wherein you take user-item ratings and cluster similarities. I have all the data and code in place for this, but I've only exposed user-based recommendations so far. Didn't see much of a need for one if I had the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Beaveridge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love a feature that took all of my games and ratings and compared it to other users and recommended games to me by the people who seem to have the same tastes as I do. If you and I have 10 of the same games rated the same, maybe the 11th game you have rated is one I would like to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Beattie
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
georgetds wrote:
I would love a feature that took all of my games and ratings and compared it to other users and recommended games to me by the people who seem to have the same tastes as I do. If you and I have 10 of the same games rated the same, maybe the 11th game you have rated is one I would like to try.

http://boardgamemenu.com/similar/?username=georgetds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoah. That's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.