Germany
Hattersheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Omnomnom
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

i just bought Cosmic Encounter and looking for two gaming night over the weekend. I´ve read rules and there is nothing really complicated in it. I want to start with a beginner game, sort of. This means four planets, 16 ships, 4 colonies to win and so on. Also i just want to use green aliens and no "Manöver" (in german, probably Flares in english?) and no Tech.

Are there any things to look after, that a firsttime player overlooks? Something specific to keep an eye out for? I don´t mean tactic wise, i want the same experience as my fellow players, but rules-wise?

Thanks in advance
Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that if you succeed on your first encounter, you get another encounter (a whole turn). To succeed means you either successfully negotiated, or won the battle.

That is, unless that rule is not included in the beginner game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Pay special attention to how Negotiates work. You get cards equal to the number of ships you lose to the warp in a Negotiate vs Attack situation, but your side automatically loses.

In an N v N, all allies go home, it's just the main players talking. Remind them that they have to trade something, but the limit is 1 colony each (for colonies) and then any cards as desired. A deal can just be 1 player getting something, and it doesn't have to be even so long as both sides agree on the terms.

Also really important that you can talk about anything in your hand, but you can never show anyone what's in your hand. Now in a learning game, things there is a time for questions, but a lot of learning is just playing cards, realizing you did it wrong, and correcting. Don't make a big deal out of it, everyone is going to get better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that most of it is about being clear about terminology and timing.

Other than that is more about interaction than anything else. (like to be careful on who you invite to ally etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
LocutusZero wrote:
Remember that if you succeed on your first encounter, you get another encounter (a whole turn).

It's not quite a full extra turn, you don't get the Start Turn phase again. The second encounter starts at Regroup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel E
Germany
Hattersheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Omnomnom
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies.

I will take the slow approach and take the time to get the turnorder right, since this seems to be a major part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dryden191 wrote:

I will take the slow approach and take the time to get the turnorder right, since this seems to be a major part.

Yep, appoint someone to announce the phases out loud. The game gets very exciting, and players are often eager to rush ahead to do the next cool thing. This is great, but you don't want to skip phases and miss chances to do other cool things.

Even after 150 plays, I still call out the phases so nobody gets lost. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
dryden191 wrote:

I find it helps to look at the phase order on the character cards and make sure you are taking each step. You don't want the window to close on someone's ability or card without them realizing it.

You: "Okay, now Alliance phase. Attacker, you want allies?"
Attacker: "I.. don't need them for negotiating do I?"
You: "No, but we don't know what you might do and we need make sure we all know what phase we are in, so you are inviting no allies?"
Attacker: "right"
You: "Okay, Defender, you want allies?"
Defender: "nope"
You: "Okay, Planning. Put the card you're going to use face down on the table."

Edit: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Number one, I like to tell everyone, "this is a really really mean game, you will get mad, and after it's over you will want to play again and again."

I've been in a couple of games where people were ready to walk from the table because they were so angry. It is pretty hilarious.

I suggest you go to the "Files" part of the Cosmic Encounter page and sort on Hot files. You will find some really great teaching aides and player references. The rulebook itself isn't complicated but the Esoteric Order of Gamers has a great cleaned up version of the rules that really make everything clear.

Good luck! I'm a huge fan of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
David touched on negotiating, but I just want to add that you should try and think of Negotiate cards as tools, and not just a losing, "zero" card.

It can become discouraging when you get dealt a bunch of N's, and you feel like you had no chance due to luck of the draw. To an extent, this can be true. But it's best to try and think of them as an opportunity to raid your opponents hand. Why draw new cards from the deck, when you can take them from your opponent. Especially if they have a powerful flare they keep using. Of course, it does cost you ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel E
Germany
Hattersheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Omnomnom
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all, i have just written a session report of our first games.

It was pretty amating, everything i have hoped for.

Turn order is pretty crucial, but i talked us through and it went pretty neat. Negotiation cards are really nice. Don´t want a whole hand of those, but after two games, we learned, as
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
said, that those can help you the get rid of those pesty flares. And sometimes even for negotiations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.