GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,086 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Fief: France 1429» Forums » Variants

Subject: Quick Start Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Von Ravn
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a variant we have tried a few times now and so far it works (with 4-6 players).

The idea is that no land is unclaimed at game start, so the starting forces are as per normal rules except MAA.

The number of infantry units to start with equals 24 less no. of players divided by the no. of players. So in a 4 player game you start with your lord, fortress, 5 deniers, 1 knight and 5 infantry ((24-4)/4).

During setup in player order each player places first their fortress, lord, and knight as per the normal rules. Then in turn order each player claims one new village at a time placing an infantry unit there.

This speeds up the game and the elections/titles/conflicts as well as being more fun and realistic with the no empty land (we think so anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sdric
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
With 5 players the first player choose first their village and have more village

You should limit to 3 MAA by player for 5 players
Each player starts with 4 villages (meaning 4 empty villages)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Von Ravn
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point

Only played it with 4 and 6..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this really quicker? I have noticed in my plays that players want to consolidate their control in Fiefs rather quickly. Dividing all villages at the start of the game I imagine may slow the buying of Fief titles and therefore makes the early game longer by introducing conflict before players can handle it succesfully?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Von Ravn
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well - for one thing you have every bishop election in the first hear ye phase. But I guess it depends on the group - some will try to grab a complete fief or two during setup and others will want to spread out..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.