Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I did ask this before and did get a valid response, but I just felt the need to confirm.

When a square unit is in terrain that reduces dice attacking out OR if a square unit is attacking a unit that reduces dice for units attacking in, that square unit CANNOT attack?

Likewise, same question for cavalry attacking a square unit.

Basically, I have had several situation already where adjacent cav/square infantry units were next to each other with one being in some sort of terrain which reduced die to 0 making it so neither side could attack (cavlary on hill, square on clear adjacent hex thus neither could attack, Im assuming).

Does this happen often?

Also, I just completed my first game and have come to the conclusion that if you have a light cav unit with only 1 block left, that its best to just have it retreat from any threat to prevent it from turning into a victory point, since they can move up to 3 hexes with is hella far in this game, or at least in my opinion. Does this seem like a sensical thing to do? Or am I ignoring something?

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yup, Square'd infantry can have their dice rolls modified to 0 and often do. Going into square when attacked by cavalry is not an automatic reaction but highly dependent on the many subtleties going on at that moment, like so many other decisions in this game.

As for your question about light cavalry..... maybe? I don't consider myself experienced enough yet. I'm guessing the answer is yes and if so, you want to save your melee-only cavalry for rushing in and back out attacks........... gee, isn't that what cavalry actually did in Napoleonic times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:

Also, I just completed my first game and have come to the conclusion that if you have a light cav unit with only 1 block left, that its best to just have it retreat from any threat to prevent it from turning into a victory point, since they can move up to 3 hexes with is hella far in this game, or at least in my opinion. Does this seem like a sensical thing to do? Or am I ignoring something?

I'd go a little further and suggest you do this with any 1 block unit - get it away from the action, if possible. Often times during the game action, there will be either/or choices to be made about retreating some units to (relative) safety or pressing the attack with other units. When one can do both, that is where the game often turns.

For your LC in particular, there may be an instance where attempting to force a 1 block inf into square is desirable, or taking a kamikaze run at an arty or other cav unit (especially if using Cavalry Charge or Elan) is a desperately reasonable thing to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Todd, what you wrote about just now did occur to me. A 1 block LC is great for keeping an infantry in square, assuming the infantry would roll 0 dice against it. One die has a 33% chance of scoring a hit against cavalry which is fairly high and would earn the other player a VP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are such situations where doing a combined arms attack against a square will ultimately net you positive dice.

For example: Cavalry charges down a hill hex into an Infantry unit in square. The active player brings in a Foot Artillery piece (three hexes away) as part of a combined arms attack against the defending square.

The Infantry in square and the attacking Cavalry will net 0 dice...

Infantry in square: 1 die for infantry in square minus 1 die for combat up a hill nets 0 dice.

Cavalry attacking square: 1 die for attacking square minus 1 die for attacking down a hill nets 0 dice

But the Artillery attacking with the cavalry in a Combined Arms attack will add two dice (for ranged combat at a target three hexes away) and will also hit the Infantry in square on Swords because the Cavalry will be be in melee with the square (it can't be 'bounced' away).

So the net dice for the combined arms attack against the defending square will be 2 dice hitting on Swords—even though the cavalry unit itself is rolling 0 dice!

Here's the kicker: And vice-versa! If the roles were reversed and the Artillery is on the same side as the Infantry in square, the combined arms attack would net 2 dice against the cavalry up a hill (possibly hitting on Swords if the Cavalry does not Retire and Reform), even though the Infantry is rolling 0 dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
There are a lot of situations, where also a single block unit, indifferent which kind of unit type, are usefull and can win a game for example.

But if i read this beside such questions

Quote:
Also, I just completed my first game

i would advise,
play 99 games more and again an experienced CCN player, and if you have then still any questions about strategies/rules or something else, ask whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great point about combined fire, I always forget about that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Todd, what you wrote about just now did occur to me. A 1 block LC is great for keeping an infantry in square, assuming the infantry would roll 0 dice against it. One die has a 33% chance of scoring a hit against cavalry which is fairly high and would earn the other player a VP

An aspect of all of the C&C games which I greatly enjoy, are all of the "tough" decision situations that arise. Constantly weighing risk and reward, and something that one should not consider doing at one point in the game, may be the best available option at another.

Forgot to mention it explicitly, but, yeah, exactly - using that one block cavalry unit to keep an inf in square in square, is certainly one potential good use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:

There are lots of exceptions and caveats (see posts above for some of them), but given that die are reduced by block loss in CCN, it is generally better to exercise "the better part of valor" with any 1 block unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.