Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

The Voyages of Marco Polo» Forums » Rules

Subject: 5 coins & obtain contracts actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of the above need you to spend money if there is already another die on the spot?
They work exactly like marketplace?

Thanks!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yes, if there are one or more dice on a spot you have to pay
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So in 5 coins action there is no need to place a 5 and above die roll since it wont give anything... right? (Of course if a die is already there)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a reason to place a 3 or higher (if a die is there). You better take the bonus action for 3 coins.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
olavf wrote:
I don't see a reason to place a 3 or higher (if a die is there). You better take the bonus action for 3 coins.


Placing a 2 (if a die is there), doesn't make any sense either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pippo Munchkin
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vikingblood80 wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:
olavf wrote:
I don't see a reason to place a 3 or higher (if a die is there). You better take the bonus action for 3 coins.


Placing a 2 (if a die is there), doesn't make any sense either.


It does. After placing the die on the +3 actions space you are forced to place another die since it was a bonus action. After placing your 2 on the +5 space you are allowed to end your turn.(of course you need to pay 2 money in advance here)

So this could make sense if you want to wait for the move of your opponent(s). I agree that this will surely not appear often.


I didn't catch your point. Assuming you have the last two dice of your round, you can place both of them on the take three coins additional action and end your round. No need for your puzzling workaround imho.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pippo Munchkin
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vikingblood80 wrote:
steteo wrote:

I didn't catch your point. Assuming you have the last two dice of your round, you can place both of them on the take three coins additional action and end your round. No need for your puzzling workaround imho.


Yup in that case it doesn't matter.

Assume that you have two dice left and one opponent has exactly one die left. When it is your turn you can place both dice on the +3 space and finish your round or you can place one 2 on the +5 space and wait for your opponents move and then decide what to do with you last die after your opponents move.
still I don't understand why you should skip doing an action just to wait and see what your opponent is gonna do...there's nothing different you could do with one dice, playing as last player. If you don't mind you should give a concrete example...said that it's more a theoretical situation than a concrete in game issue, therefore we can also stop it discussing here. Thanks, ciao.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I perfectly agree with Andre, sometime you just need to wait.
Here are two examples I encounter.

First example:
I still have 3 dices (values: 3 4 5). I want to make a 4-step move, Somebody has already travelled. I have 15 coins. I need at least one more coin.
The next player has 2 dice and may travel too.
In this case, I spent my die of 3 and gain only 2 coins. Next player. I loose 1 coin, but I am sure to be the last one to travel!

If I used this die for the 3-coin additional action, I would have travelled during the same turn. The other player would have be the first player for the next round.

Second example: I am Mercator ex Tabriz
Last round. I still have 2 dice (values 2 2).
I need one pepper to finish a contract. However I cannot take the pepper action, I've already been there. I use one die on the 5-coin action (I have 7 coins, so, at least I have now 10 coins, i.e. 1VP ; I also may take camels, but extra camels are useless for me.).
Next player.
During the turn, another player take the pepper action. I get my missing pepper (thank you!). When it is my turn again, since I still have one die, I am not obliged to pass and I can take my turn normally. I then complete my contract (and play my last die).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pippo Munchkin
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NeoFitz wrote:
I perfectly agree with Andre, sometime you just need to wait.
Here are two examples I encounter.

First example:
I still have 3 dices (values: 3 4 5). I want to make a 4-step move, Somebody has already travelled. I have 15 coins. I need at least one more coin.
The next player has 2 dice and may travel too.
In this case, I spent my die of 3 and gain only 2 coins. Next player. I loose 1 coin, but I am sure to be the last one to travel!

If I used this die for the 3-coin additional action, I would have travelled during the same turn. The other player would have be the first player for the next round.

Second example: I am Mercator ex Tabriz
Last round. I still have 2 dice (values 2 2).
I need one pepper to finish a contract. However I cannot take the pepper action, I've already been there. I use one die on the 5-coin action (I have 7 coins, so, at least I have now 10 coins, i.e. 1VP ; I also may take camels, but extra camels are useless for me.).
Next player.
During the turn, another player take the pepper action. I get my missing pepper (thank you!). When it is my turn again, since I still have one die, I am not obliged to pass and I can take my turn normally. I then complete my contract (and play my last die).


Thank you Jerome, even if it is a (very) limited case the first example make a lo of sense. The second one it's more theoretical as you are somewhat betting on your opponent next move..

At the end of the day placing a two pips die on the take five coins action could be more effective than going straight to the take three coins.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F6 Garfield
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played Marco Polo the first time today.
The way I understood the rules there is a very big difference between the 5 coins and the 3 coins.
5 coins is a main action.
3 coins is an extra action.

So it's never possible to place two dice in your turn on the 3 coins field like some have suggested here.
The 3 coins field is only for an extra action, it not a valid field for a main action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
F6_Garfield wrote:
Played Marco Polo the first time today.
The way I understood the rules there is a very big difference between the 5 coins and the 3 coins.
5 coins is a main action.
3 coins is an extra action.

So it's never possible to place two dice in your turn on the 3 coins field like some have suggested here.
The 3 coins field is only for an extra action, it not a valid field for a main action.


You are correct that the three coin space is an extra action space. Which is exactly why you can place as many of your dice there on one turn as you like.

With the exception of the obtain a black die free action, you can take as many of the other free actions on your turn as you can afford, either before or after your main action.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
still I don't understand why you should skip doing an action just to wait and see what your opponent is gonna do...


A very simple example would be that you could be playing as Mercator ex Tabriz. In that case you might have new goods on your next turn. You could then maybe fulfill an order and gain a black die, or travel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.