GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,502 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
159 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » News

Subject: New Announcement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2015/04/30/star-trek-attack-win...

Wow. Just... Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:

Holy cow, they care about this game after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a heavy-handed, abrupt ruling.

They keep handing these down from major tournament to major tournament, so that a winner at a Regional event is almost playing a different version of the game than at Worlds.

Borg could have been okay with one of those changes. Two is overkill.

Fighters are too flimsy to not be supported by other ships.

I know many people think these changes are necessary, but all they're doing is further complicating the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Borg, you may now never hit Voyager again. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if 'Squadrons' are no longer 'ships' do they still count for the 3 ship limit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bueckert
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:

Yep. One of those two changes for the Borg would have been fine. 2? All that did was put Feds so far ahead.

I'm not sure if due to these rulings the Feds are now more unbalanced than the Borg ever were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:

Well, it's true to the canon at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SMDMadCow wrote:
So if 'Squadrons' are no longer 'ships' do they still count for the 3 ship limit?

My guess is 'no.' But you'll need to field ships with 4 or more (4+) hull points to bring each to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jackowski
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
We are the Borg. Your technology will be assimilated and used at shorter ranges.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the one I don't understand:

Quote:
When a card states it may be played at any time or does not list when it may be used it may only be used between the phases of each round.

Can anyone create an example using a popular card written this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rezot tam
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In addition to a renaissance of new strategies, I really look forward to watching the community digest this little nugget. Brave new world...

Also, does the minefield nerfing really only affect antimatter mines? Was that a problem?

Lookout for all the tricolbalt warhead Tholian swarms, Borg players!whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Federation has always been the most powerful faction since Voyager dropped. The Borg are were just easier to build and not as hard to think about on the board.

The Federation Civil War looms ahead at Organized Play, unless something else changes soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
This is the one I don't understand:

Quote:
When a card states it may be played at any time or does not list when it may be used it may only be used between the phases of each round.

Can anyone create an example using a popular card written this way?

Transwarp Signal. It says you can use it at any time, during any part of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bueckert
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
SMDMadCow wrote:

My guess is 'no.' But you'll need to field ships with 4 or more (4+) hull points to bring each to the table.

Oh man, if they don't count towards ship count, that's nuts. Stuff like double keldon, double fighter (or double sphere, double fighter) don't work - so you need to sink extra points into putting in a "fifth" ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And Admiral Worf no longer works on Squadrons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa hey, they also expanded the exception to once-per-turn:

Quote:
Cards that state “each time” OR “every time” OR “When defending” OR “When Attacking” may be used multiple times per round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Claussen
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright 32 of 189, no one is expecting much from you, but we are going to give you a shot at helmsman. Turn left and pursue that ship!

Roger sir, we go straight and then turn left.

What? No! That is a dumb way to fly a ship!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
United States
flag msg tools
Wow, this is great news These rulings may add a little more life into the game imo.

And for those whose are or are thinking of complaining that they actually just took steps to try to fix Borg and tone fighters down a bit, .... I am at a loss for words... We all know this was needed. Just because feds are strong does not mean that they should not fix Borg and fighter issues. At least try the new rules for a few games before judging

P.S. I'll take any fed fleet on with a solid romulan one, that scimitar is a mean ship

P.p.s. I wonder if this means that the new time ship with its anti upgrades won't help slightly balance the rise of the Fed dreadnaught builds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the spin ruling, can someone give me some context on what it is changing? I haven't done much borg play since they very first came out, so maybe I am missing the big change. I appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebaghead wrote:
Alright 32 of 189, no one is expecting much from you, but we are going to give you a shot at helmsman. Turn left and pursue that ship!

Works for me, given how huge and how much inertia their ships have.

In any case, from a gameplay perspective, it's an elegant way to keep the Borg having a 'unique' movement mechanic while finally requiring them to think about next turn's movement options while plotting "this turn's" movement.

Like, you know, everyone else in the game has always had to do since day 1, and the Borg didn't. Now they do. But it still retains their unique movement style.

So...I like that change, a lot.

The restriction of the primary attack to range 2 might be a bit much of a handicap over that - I guess the question is whether the caveat of an upgrade overruling that applies to secondary weapons with printed range bands on them. I assume so? In which case, secondary weapons suddenly became a LOT more important for Borg ships - to keep those range-3 shot options available. So...also a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hopeful when the news came up on my RSS reader.

Then I saw the details and realized that WizKids still doesn't understand the real problems.

These fixes to Borg (and only slightly, fighters) are just surface fixes to the larger point costing problem in the game. The 2 x stats method does not work, all non-newbie players know it, but WizKids won't admit it.

See: http://catdrop.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dulsky
United States
Bryn Mawr
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebaghead wrote:

I always thought that proposal of giving borg ships weird momentum mechanics was a bit weird, but I don't really play borg. Other changes seem solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Steiner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Cant read the message from work.....can someone post it all here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
In which case, secondary weapons suddenly became a LOT more important for Borg ships - to keep those range-3 shot options available. So...also a good thing.

True, and I think the best part is that it's pretty hard to fit Picard and a worthwhile weapon on a 50-point sphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in b4 people finish celebrating the borg nerf only to realize feds are broken now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.