Subject: Wizards Starship Battles vs. FFG Armada? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I don't think I'm finding a thread on this, but can anyone speak to the differences between the previous capital ship game and FFG's version?

I've not seen a direct comparison outline anywhere.

Thanks!

Here's the Wizards' version: Star Wars Miniatures Starship Battles: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24627/star-wars-miniatur...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Night vs Day? Sh*t vs Shinola? Jar Jar vs "the Wookie"?

Analogies aside, I've played and collected both.

WotC SW:SSB
•Cross era
•Infinite range
•1"-4" capital ship miniatures of soft plastic. Many came warped, mine have actually warped more in storage (even the ISDs and the Mon Calamari ships which looked solid)
•Painted squadron miniatures with a single ship representing a squad.
•Gridded movement
•Very easy to learn
•Fleet building is only about choosing ships.

A combination of the activation/move system and the infinite range mean SSB is full of theme but lacks interesting strategic depth.

SW:Armada
•Rebellion Era
•Range and ship speed are tracked
•2-8" capital ship miniatures of hard plastic
•Unpainted squadron miniatures with three ships representing a squad, that are incredibly fiddly to assemble.
•Free movement (feels cinematic, but you have to have a miniatures player's attitude that comfortable with fudging stuff and giving opponents the benefit of the doubt)
•More complicated than SW:SSB. Comparable to FFG's Battlestar Galactica boardgame, or X-Wing.
•Fleet building includes upgrades on capital ships for a large amount of customization.

A combination of the objectives, command system, upgrades, and squadron engagement make SW:Armada feel like a "real wargame" with interesting strategic decisions and like a "deck builder" with fun fleet min-max problem solving. Oh and the theme is there too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tharin
Switzerland
Dübendorf
Schweiz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot offer you a qualified answer as i never played the one you linked, but given the ratings it's probably poop.

Armada i can only chip in that it's very well streamlined and up to todays standards from miniatures down to the play system. Much like X-Wing but different.

I also never saw the one you linked in any store... so it might be hard to find people for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought about $50 of SSB stuff when it first came out, played it once, found it to be incredibly boring and simplistic, then gave it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The WotC game sucked. I have probably a couple hundred ships for it, but never used the rule set. I just wanted the ships. No with Armada, the ships will be collecting a lot of dust, lol.

The WotC ships are generallysmaller, with no real scale to them. though the Corvettes are actually bigger in the WotC game. And the starfighter models are larger, maybe an inch long or so.

There isn't a lot of cross over if you are concerned about keeping the scale close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkgalahad wrote:
I also never saw the one you linked in any store... so it might be hard to find people for it.

This - Wizard's game has been out of print for years, so unless you already have friends with it or you own a large enough collection to play with others, it's really not worth thinking about. With Armada and X-Wing existing as current and expanding games, Starship Battles offers no reason for you to go on eBay to buy someone's old collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cinemajay wrote:
I don't think I'm finding a thread on this, but can anyone speak to the differences between the previous capital ship game and FFG's version?

Off the top of my head, FWIW.

Star Wars Starship Minaiture Battles (SSB) was not a miniatures game so much as a 'collectible' game, much like a collectible card game. As such it was very abstract. The ships moved around in a 'grid' that was pretty much a slightly enlarged chessboard. It strove to be very kid friendly (and was) but error'ed much more on the kid side than on the playable game side.

Combat was an extremely simple dice roll to beat the target ships defense number depending on which side you were facing. Then the ship took damage. Range was unlimimted.

Movement was pretty much one square, two squares, three squares or four squares (for starfighters).

There were also Command tokens that could be spent on special abilties that were mainly on the larger ships.

Luke Skywalker had a single ship and a special ability.

Star Wars Armada is much more a miniatures game complete with rulers. Ships allocate ability tokens before they act and are pretty much committed to those actions (repair, fire all weapons, move, etc.). This is slightly (but not very) similar to the way X-Wing movement dials are used.

Instead of a defense rating you have defense tokens which give various methods of defending an attack for each facing.

Movement depends on how many tokens you allocated to movement and the big ships are very slow to turn around while the squads of fighters move very far and 'swarm' over the big ships.

There are alot of different cards and special abilities that can be attached to the big ships and to the squads of starfighters.

Luke Skywalker is in his own special squad that benefits from his special ability.

So other than being 'star wars space combat games' they don't really compare at all.

If you want a pew-pew game that will take 30 minutes to play, try Star Wars Starship Battles. Though be warned that most people (including myself) felt it needed house rules to be fun. Since you know where the forum is it should be easy to find all the house rules you need.

Mixing and matching squads of differrent types of ships is fun and the rules are very well thought out and easy to understand (some would say too easy).

Armada is a much longer game that has a lot of chrome to it. Think "Hunt for Red October" kind of. If you like the idea of building 'armies' in the sense of mixing and matching crew and ship types and special abilities to find a combination that matches your style of play Armada has that kind of depth.

Armada is much more tactical in maneuvering to position and setting up another ship to be flanked by another ship while harried by an elite squad while sending a sacrifice squad....etc.

BOTH are going to be EXPENSIVE. ALL minature games can get expensive if you're not careful, but both put out pre-painted Star Wars space ships so it's not like there won't always be a market for them.

But you can still find deals for SSB ship if you look for them, though whether the existance of Armada will lower the price or raise the price is debatable.

I haven't actually seen the Armada ships up close but I have no doubt that they are MUCH better than the SSB ships if that's important to you, but at $15-$25 a pop they'd better be!

(And they could hardly get any worse! The Micro Machines ships were better than the SSB ships!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in the end, Starship battles was all about collecting the miniatures. Didn't help though that the minis were cheap, warpy plastic.

FFG Armada might be more expensive but, if you'll pardon the phrase, you get more bang for your buck. The minis are more fantastic and each ship has a lot of significance in the game based on the price you pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the key thing is that there is actually a game in Armada. There was no viable game for SSB. The rules provided were really that bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll share my confoluted story, if anyone is interested:

I resisted the urge to get into X-Wing due to the price. I played a friend's copy and it reminded me of fond memories of the X-Wing/Tie Fighter PC games. Loved it. Can't believe I've held out this long.

When I heard about Armada, I acquiesced and pre-ordered it. I didn't look closely enough, though (I blame middle age). When I got the game, I realized it was a Victory Star Destroyer instead of an Imperial Star Destroyer included with the core. I sent the game back: I feared that the iconic Imperial class would wind up being $50 or more (of course that turned out not to be the case).

Fast forward several months. I pick up West End Games' Star Warriors - a game I've wanted for almost 25 years. I looked up the game here, and saw pics with minis being used instead of the cardboard chits. It was then I was reintroduced to Starship Battles by WotC.

I remembered the starter set from a decade ago, but I can't say I ever saw a booster for it. The game wasn't on my radar then.

I got on EBay and ordered multiples of several types of fighters to replace the chits in Star Warriors. When I got them, I was really impressed with their detail and paint. Sure, they are soft plastic, but you can bend them back with the hot water trick.

I started reading about Starship Battles. The rules as written have been almost universally panned, but there were several folks who touted various house rules for the game. I was intrigued enough to get a complete set on EBay. The capital ships were just as cool as the fighters.

Anyway, I _want_ a Star Wars game I can go "pew-pew with. With the tweaks to the rules available here at the 'geek, I'm sure this will fit the bill.

I've got around $250 in Starship Battles so far, but I have a complete set of 60 ships, plus around 40 or so additional, multiple fighters for Rebels and Imperials (and I can set games in Episodes I-III, too). These ships also double as minis for Star Warriors.

For anyone interested, I'd recommend trying to score a complete set if you can do so reasonably. The Large/Huge ships (Executer, Home One, SDs, etc.) alone can go for $20 or more each. On the other hand, you can score 6 or 7 X-Wings for $6 or $7 bucks.

Lastly, I'll share this link to a site I just discovered tonight. It has additional SW ships/minis in the same scale as Starship Battles.

https://www.sites.google.com/site/utarships/home

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bunch of SSB minis if anyone is interested. Problem is, most aren't on bases and I no longer have them. But if you're going to re-base the ships anyways, it doesn't matter.

And by lots I mean hundreds. some of them have been re-painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought some of those WotC things, kept getting Episode 1 droid ships and little else, never convinced anyone to play with me ever, and eventually sold the whole lot to somebody in Alaska. Maybe when the electricity goes out and his cabin-mate is going mad it will distract him from cannibalism long enough for help to find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.