United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way planned to get these? I own all of 1E and all of 2E except for the generals and monster packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd Degani wrote:
Is there any way planned to get these? I own all of 1E and all of 2E except for the generals and monster packs.

If you are looking for the cards etc. corresponding to the monsters of the first edition the Descent: Journeys in the Dark (second edition) – Conversion Kit is the right thing for you.

It is basically the Hero/Monster packs without the figures themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pletcher
msg tools
Those are definitely copy righted and very defended by FFG. They seem ok with almost anything distributed freely except the quests. You could see if anyone has H&M packs but does not want quests and buy them but that is not likely.

You could also write FFG and make the suggestion that they sell the quests as a print on demand product. It may be risky for them to do it as it could lower the demand for the H&M packs but maybe if enough demand it they will release quests and cards only.

My guess based off the number of monsters in the conversion kit (25) and heroes (48) and number of monsters (3) and heroes (4) per kit there will be about 8 - 10 H&M pack. They could make a book of all those quests with accompanying card cards and I am sure there would be people willing to buy that for say $20 or so. That is about the cost of the new campaign book they just release and I would say comparable value to consumers.

I am sure there is a lot of people in the same situation as you or just not willing to spend the $350 or so it would cost to buy all the H&M packs but want the quests. If enough make the request to FFG they might consider make a product just for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Quest Vault. Yes, I know many BGG'ers only want the official quests, but you're losing out on some good content if you think this way.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2013/1/11/announc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$210 to get all 6 H&M packs in the US. In addition to the 2 rumor quests in each pack, the 4 heroes and 3 monster groups come with updated cards (almost all of them are different from the cards for the same character in the conversion kit) and all new figures, which are significantly improved from the models used in Runebound and Descent 1E.

I haven't taken the plunge yet for similar reasons as the OP - I already have these characters so why buy them again? But the more I look at the revised figurines and re-balanced stats, the more I'm tempted.

As for the original question, FFG jealously guards their quests, since those are the primary creative material in each release. There's no legal way to get them from the company outside of the packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pletcher
msg tools
If it helps you can get all 6 for $24 each on cool stuff inc with free shipping for > $100. $144 gets you all 6 released ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bpletcher wrote:
Those are definitely copy righted and very defended by FFG. They seem ok with almost anything distributed freely except the quests. You could see if anyone has H&M packs but does not want quests and buy them but that is not likely.

hooliganj wrote:
As for the original question, FFG jealously guards their quests, since those are the primary creative material in each release. There's no legal way to get them from the company outside of the packs.

I wasn't looking to steal them or get print and plays of them or anything else, I was looking to see if there was a way to legitimately buy them without rebuying stuff I already own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bpletcher wrote:
If it helps you can get all 6 for $24 each on cool stuff inc with free shipping for > $100. $144 gets you all 6 released ones.

Thanks for the info. Still a bit more than I'm willing to spend for em. I may look into reselling the minis possibly to recoup some cost.

Maybe they will have a monster, no pun intended, sale at some point. I think 15$ max is about what I'm willing to spend for a whole pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Try the Quest Vault. Yes, I know many BGG'ers only want the official quests, but you're losing out on some good content if you think this way.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2013/1/11/announc...

My goal isn't to just get new quests but to complete my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
I believe he is actually looking for the quests that come packaged with the various new monster packs (Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Crown of Destiny etc.).

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pletcher
msg tools
Todd Degani wrote:

I wasn't looking to steal them or get print and plays of them or anything else, I was looking to see if there was a way to legitimately buy them without rebuying stuff I already own.

I am very sure you where not. I am hoping FFG releases just the quests as a booklet as I also have all the figures from D1. Hoping enough people make the request that FFG releases a book of H&M quest. So every please send FFG an email request for this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd Degani wrote:

Yep, that was your question as I understood it. In case you missed it, I'll restate the answer more plainly: no, you can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
one thing to consider: even with the quests it will be hard to play because you won't have the updated monster cards that were used to design the quests aand you Will be missing the rumor cards with the rewards.

Also, Some of the heroes are a lot different than the conversion kit versions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bpletcher wrote:
Todd Degani wrote:

I am very sure you where not. I am hoping FFG releases just the quests as a booklet as I also have all the figures from D1. Hoping enough people make the request that FFG releases a book of H&M quest. So every please send FFG an email request for this!

Not going to happen, there is a reason you can't even grab the quest book from FFG for just the base game from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed- most everything about this game is public information- map tiles, OL cards, classes, hero and monster stats, even shop cards. The quests themselves are virtually the only part that are protected from distribution- you can't expect FFG to give the game away for free.

From a marketing standpoint, including truly exclusive content with the hero and monster packs is a great idea- otherwise, why would anyone besides miniature enthusiasts buy them when they could buy the whole CK for just $20 (and still use updated abilities listed online)?

Putting something unique in the pack (and only in the pack) is a bonus/incentive to buy the packs- its why those rumor quests exist at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pletcher
msg tools
jsc19702 wrote:
bpletcher wrote:
Todd Degani wrote:

Not going to happen, there is a reason you can't even grab the quest book from FFG for just the base game from them.

This is a little bit different than the base game situation. For that no one should need just the quests as there is no other way to get all the other parts of the base game. For H&M sets a lot of people will already have figures. With that said you are probably correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zaltyre wrote:
The quests themselves are virtually the only part that are protected from distribution- you can't expect FFG to give the game away for free.

I didn't imply that at all. I just need the packs minus the minis, which are the most expensive part of the packs. For loyal customers like me who have already spent piles of cash on the game it just feels like a way to squeeze my wallet more than necessary.

zaltyre wrote:
From a marketing standpoint, including truly exclusive content with the hero and monster packs is a great idea- otherwise, why would anyone besides miniature enthusiasts buy them when they could buy the whole CK for just $20 (and still use updated abilities listed online)?

I would assume all those people who don't have 1ED would buy them and not just miniature enthusiasts like you state. The conversion kit didn't include any minis, from what I recall. So if you are just starting Descent with 2ED they are a great buy. For those with 1ED they aren't worth buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. It'd be nice if they'd just published another book with the quests from the packs (or sell them as POD). I'm nearing the end of the tunnel that is painting the first edition base set and I'm not really sure that I feel like "starting over" despite the newer/better models. They made the conversion kit so we could use the stuff from our first edition stuff and that was great. I get that re-releasing/redoing the models is a way for the new players to expand their game, but now the 1st edition fans don't have access to the quests.

As loathe as I am to do so, I'm considering finishing the painting and then selling the first edition and expansions (and conversion kit) because my gamer OCD hates this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something else to consider is that the Hero and Monster quests aren't necessarily intended for the CK monsters. All of those rumors feature monsters from the pack, and while many of them are the same, where the monster stats are different the quest is designed to work with the new stats of the monster. Playing them with CK substitutes might not be a fantastic idea, even if the quests were available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.