Subject: Changes to FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Might be useful to have a thread that identifies some of the FAQ that have been changed or clarified in this version.

Or further clarify a few things...

For instance is it just me or does this (Praetus - Cloaked mines)

"Each ship may only be attacked by each minefield one time per turn. But also note that if you move out of the minefield you still have activated the mines and will still be attacked."

Not seem to contradict this :

"When a ship starts its move within Range 1 of an enemy's Cloaked Mine, this works the same as the normal rules for a Minefield Token (see rulebook page 23), just with a wider range. If the ship moves beyond the Cloaked Mine's Range, then it does not receive damage again this turn. But if it stays within the Cloaked Mine's Range, then it does receive damage again this turn."

One says if you move out of the minefield you are attacked the other (which is what my understanding has always been) is you aren't.

Or am I reading it funky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biggest change is that the broad "may" ruling is now gone.

Finally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Wave 4 - USS Voyager - B'Elanna Torres
Any card that adds slots to a ship only adds those slots during fleet building.

That's an interesting one with the verification of needing the appropriate slot to steal an upgrade. I'm not sure I've ever seen her taken in the hopes of filling her weapon/tech with stolen upgrades, but I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ajones81 wrote:
Might be useful to have a thread that identifies some of the FAQ that have been changed or clarified in this version.

Or further clarify a few things...

For instance is it just me or does this (Praetus - Cloaked mines)

"Each ship may only be attacked by each minefield one time per turn. But also note that if you move out of the minefield you still have activated the mines and will still be attacked."

Not seem to contradict this :

"When a ship starts its move within Range 1 of an enemy's Cloaked Mine, this works the same as the normal rules for a Minefield Token (see rulebook page 23), just with a wider range. If the ship moves beyond the Cloaked Mine's Range, then it does not receive damage again this turn. But if it stays within the Cloaked Mine's Range, then it does receive damage again this turn."

One says if you move out of the minefield you are attacked the other (which is what my understanding has always been) is you aren't.

The first one is from a really specific ruling about moving twice within range of a single minefield, which they took out of context. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dulsky
United States
Bryn Mawr
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajones81 wrote:

I was also confused about the "buff" to cloaked mines...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not a change, its just confusing the way they listed it. Its just saying if you move into and out of the minefield's range in one turn, you still triggered the minefield when you were close enough. If you end a move within range you take damage from the mines on that turn, but not on the next turn if your initial movement moves you out of their range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RequiemX wrote:
Biggest change is that the broad "may" ruling is now gone.

Finally.

I'm not sure it has.

Quote:
All cards that contain non-ACTION text abilities that are optionally triggered by a player may only be used once per round per ship per card.
a. Cards with continuous effects may affect multiple dice rolls in a round.
b. Cards that state “e
ach time” OR “every time” OR “When defending” OR “When Attacking” may be used multiple times per round

By the strictest reading of the rules (and the already known terrible wording of cards) many of the abilities are still hurt, most notably scan enhancers like Mr. Spock and Dmitri Valtane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One thing that I'm NOT seeing that used to be in the FAQ is that the cloak bonus only applies during the Combat Phase.

It is referenced in passing in the Navigational Deflector section because that was just copied and pasted from somewhere else, but not really called out anywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't address it in as many words, but I assume that's what this is referring to:

Quote:
28. The Target Lock, Evade, and Battle Station tokens may only be spent during the combat phase as stated in the manual on page 10.
Any other abilities that do not state they only work during the combat phase may be used to modify attack dice or defense dice outside of the combat phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GLM
United States
flag msg tools
mb
The rule about cloak only giving a +4 in the combat phase is in the manual on the back under the Cloaking Action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, a bunch of these have the magic phrase "during the combat phase":
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought to see if the atcion definition was different on the back of the book as on page 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Norris
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if Chris Guild would agree regarding the combat phase cloak ruling.

It seems ridiculous that the cloak wouldn't give you the +4 out of combat phase if an attack is coming in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrNicket wrote:
I wonder if Chris Guild would agree regarding the combat phase cloak ruling.

Certainly seems that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's stupid, but it IS supported by a literal reading of those rules. It's incredibly counter intuitive, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.