Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Civilisation vs. Blue Civilisation
Turn 1 cards from the card row: Green: Colossus, Blue: Moses

The Green Civilisation started by quickly building the Colossus. Supported by Homer and an early theatre, Green was generating a lot more points than Blue. Having built the Colossus, Green wanted to milk the Colonisation Bonus by also acquiring Cartography.
Blue went for early Science points. Thanks to Moses, the Blue Civilisation grew quickly, building up its production. Alchemy was invented to increase the generation of Science Points, and some time later, the Universitas Carolina was built.

During Age I, Green got a new leader, Columbus, gaining a free colony. Thanks to the Colossus and Cartography, more colonies were won. At the start of Age II, Blue lost their leader Moses. After some time, a new leader was found: Robespierre. He made an easy transition from Despotism to Constitutional Monarchy possible.

Then, disaster struck. Both civilisations were strapped for happiness when a Plague event occurred, causing both civilisations to lose a yellow token, increasing the demand for happy faces. Blue had to spend an entire turn on inefficient actions to compensate. For Green, the effect was worse: a mine needed to be torn down, and several turns were needed to gain al that was necessary to acquire Team Sports and build an Arena.

To gain some more Science Points, Green got Newton as the new leader, but still remained a long way behind Blue. During the third age, it became almost useless for Green to acquire new building technology: not only was it expensive by itself, but the building would need several turns of Mineral income. Blue’s technology was more up-to-date, and he had a decent production. However, Blue was about 50 Culture points behind.

In an attempt to close the gap, Blue built the Eiffel Tower and turned the leadership of the civilisation over to Sid Meier. Green got Elvis Presley to scrape together some more points. At the end of Age IV, the gap, though smaller, was still a lot of points. Blue managed to get within 15 points of Green by means of the Age III event cards, but the technological backward Green Civilisation still won the game.

I was rather happy with this outcome: I was afraid that technological advancement/supremacy would be the only strategy to win the game, but this game session proved otherwise.

There were no Aggression of War cards played during this game; neither player had them available in those turns that his civilisation was stronger. There was an arms race, however, as the strongest player could safely play event cards for points and benefit from the subsequently revealed current event. Green ended the game with Medieval Armies composed of Modern Infantry and Knights, while Blue had Mobile Artillery: Knights with Rockets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Purple wrote:

...and turned the leadership of the civilisation over to Sid Meier...

Sid Meier is a leader card in this game?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier is a leader card in this game?![/q]
Yes, he is He turns part of your science production into (gaming) culture production (which means: victory points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier REIX
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emile : How long did it take ? (I have a full game with 3 players this evening)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it took us slightly under two hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.