Hide
2 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Variants

Subject: Pokemon Black & White: Victini & Friends Faction! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Forest White
msg tools
Hey All! I'd like to present to you... The Victini & Friends faction! This faction, base around the Pokemon Victini and the Unova region, focuses around claiming victory at the last second! I'll be uploading the cards soon.

Edit: Here are the cards! Let me know what you think, and feel free to download and playtest for yourself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel F
msg tools
(sidebar: For future reference, it's nice if you have the card text are out, even if there are images, so you can read the cards without zooming in or opening the image in a new window)

Overall, this seems like a really strong faction. The main idea seems to be "be on a base, and then win that base with specials." I'm not the hugest fan of that idea, just because other players are powerless to stop it, so it seems like it'd take out some of the strategy.

Pawniard--I can't decide how I feel about this. It basically gives you a +2, +4, and +6 special in your deck, which seems pretty strong. I understand it's conditional on getting rid of the others first, but with the number of factions that give great draw support, that shouldn't be too uncommon. Now when I think about other factions' specials, most of them give ~3 power change. The average minion power in a "normal" faction is 2.7 so basically 3. Most specials are "move/destroy/play/control a minion" often of power 3 or less. So the +2 and +4 are about normal, and the +6 is strong but also very foreseeable (it isn't a surprise like other factions' specials). So overall, it could be OP but could be fine, not sure.

Darmanitan and Emolga--These are both fine, but when they are stacked with each other and Pawniard, it seems like it would be pretty hard to lose a base. Emolga, in particular, is very powerful. There are so many combos you could pull off. Think of all the minions that could be played here for crushing combos--Seastar, Ninja Master, Tiger Assassin, Supreme Overlord, Collector, Puck, Titania, Muffin, Doctor When, Bear Cavalry, plus others that are less good like the 2 power destroyers (Night Stalker, Laseratops) and those that could be huge with a clever play (Starlyte, Mimic, Neophyte, Zombie Lord). Now consider that there are 3 of them! That's 3 cards that are at least as powerful as the average special (most factions get 1), and if played with even a little bit of strategy become devastating. This DOES make them huge targets, but I'm not sure that would offset their strength, especially not in a 2 player game, or even three, when there is a smaller chance of other players even being able to destroy your things. That being said, maybe make the minion more powerful and reduce the number of them--that'd make a good L5 minion power!

Victini--Overall, a little disappointing. That effect, if played right, could feasibly let you do things like score two bases at once, but I think the cases where that will be able to happen are few and far between. In the general case, I see this not being very useful.

Liberty Pass-- See above about Emolga, but this lets you do it potentially up to 5 times, or if you rather, pull off the +6 pawniard play again. Since there are 3 Emolga, you'll most likely get this combo at least once during a game.

Battle Box--another card that lets you replay that Emolga combo if you're patient.

Revival Herb--See Battle Box

Rustling Grass--The same idea as Emolga, roughly, but much more balanced--I like this one.

General:
I think Emolga is the star of this show (could you tell ) and this deck is chock full of ways to make sure you can keep on playing it. Maybe this is less dramatic because each time you do it you loose one of the great cards to do it with, but even so, it seems very strong.

I love the idea of making more fuss about Victini. Maybe certain actions that can only be played on Victini, or effects that only happen if Viciti is in play. You have good discard support to recover Viciti if you went that route, but you'd need more deck support to help you get him out there faster!

Again, sorry if this sounds harsh! I'm just giving the kind of feedback I'd want! I really do like the idea of Emolga, I just don't think it should be there 3 times, especially with so many ways to get it back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.