Popular Tags: [View All]
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess that this tax is not because your order is sent from the States, but because it is imported into Holland. Perhaps if you post your question with the Subject "Holland import tax", you will get some more useful responses....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately it probably is Jeroen soblue

Games coming into the UK incur VAT + a surcharge to cover the cost of Parcelforce collecting the VAT - the surcharge has always been higher than the VAT on my orders so far which is very infuriating angry

Not all orders get caught, but probably 90% of mine have, so I assume I will have to pay the duty and work it into the cost.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though you may pay shipping twice, you'd still probably spend less if you had a US friend buy the game, then ship it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's like France, you'll be paying VAT on the price of the game, VAT on the shipping to the border (pro rata), import duty and a tax for the "right" to present the package to customs. (They used to add insult to injury by then adding the cost of postage from the customs point to the final delivery point as if the package had been posted in France, but that seems to have disappeared, thank goodness!).

If you're very unlucky, there might also be a processing fee added by the shipping company...

On the other hand, you could be lucky: under a certain point, they don't collect the tax as it costs more to process it than they receive...

Gavin
PS It does seem a bit high, though: I paid EUR 24,15 on a recent Amazon order valued at EUR 90 (ca USD 108). You should receive a breakdown of the taxes with the delivery: it could be worth checking. (For example, is printed matter taxed lower than the normal VAT rate?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This 'TAX' business really grinds me! In the US...we are lucky (to an extent) and only have to pay of shipping costs. Across the Atlantic is VERY expensive. Shipping out of the country is hard. I know when I fill out the customs papers that the party the game/product is going to is gonna get screwed by import taxes. I think a LOT of it is WAY overboard and wrong.....just my opinion!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD wrote:
This 'TAX' business really grinds me! In the US...we are lucky (to an extent) and only have to pay of shipping costs. Across the Atlantic is VERY expensive. Shipping out of the country is hard. I know when I fill out the customs papers that the party the game/product is going to is gonna get screwed by import taxes. I think a LOT of it is WAY overboard and wrong.....just my opinion!!!!!!!!

Actually, most of us owe use tax on all of mail orders. We avoid it because the sellers aren't obligated to charge it (yet) and most states don't audit individuals for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD wrote:

It's not the import taxes as such, it's the value added tax: with a minimum rate of 15%... Import duty tends to be a quarter of that and isn't necessrily levied on everything (unlike VAT). VAT would be levied even if the item were bought locally.

But yes, we get screwed!

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.