GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,367 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I know "Arena" is just a new edition/version of Mage Wars, and most of the Arena set is just duplicative of the previous set.

The Arena core set does have some differences:

-2 New Spellbook designs

-New Arena Board design

-Alternate Art for Bear Strength, Dispel, Dissolve, Minor Heal and Rhino Hide

-New Artwork for Battle Fury, Force Push, Hand of Bim Shalla, Teleport, and Temple of Light

-Plus, 14 additional spell cards have been added to make spellbook building easier, including Dispel, Dissolve, Force Push and others

But what, if anything, is different about the new Arena expansions, like Forcemaster vs Warlord? Is this new Arena version identical to the previous version? If there are differences what are they? I can't seem to find them listed anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
But what, if anything, is different about the new Arena expansions, like Forcemaster vs Warlord? Is this new Arena version identical to the previous version? If there are differences what are they? I can't seem to find them listed anywhere.

I read elsewhere that they've increased the card counts on some cards to reflect the card distribution of Druid vs Necromancer (and presumably future expansions): basically 6 of each level 1 and 4 of each level 2+ spell. The new old card counts can be found here.
*edit* Oops, that seems to be the old card counts (with 220 cards in the box). The new "Arena" version has 248 cards, as described here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine retailers are too happy with updating the base game and expansions. It can't help sales of the old product.

I had no idea the expansions were getting re-tooled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:
I can't imagine retailers are too happy with updating the base game and expansions. It can't help sales of the old product.

I had no idea the expansions were getting re-tooled.

Well, it isn't uncommon for fans of this game to get 2 core sets (for more copies of key cards, more dice, etc). And since the new "Arena" version (4th printing) has different board art, different spell book covers, etc, a lot of both new and old players might want 1 copy of each of the styles for variety. So it might actually boost sales (or secondary market value) of the older core set, assuming Mage Wars increases in popularity.

As for the Forcemaster vs Warlord expansion (which is apparently the only expansion that will have updated card counts in its reprint), it's pretty much sold out everywhere right now, with the reprint arriving imminently (e.g. this week?). So while it's kind of annoying to current owners who would like more copies of some of the cards, it shouldn't impact retailers too much (unless they've been secretly hoarding copies?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew Arena was coming before I bought the core set but bought one anyway since I knew I'd want two core sets and so by getting one of each I get the different spell books and boards as well as more of the cards.

But the expansions threw me. I didn't realize they would be changing too. And I'm not sure it's worth buying them again for the extra 20+ cards without knowing what cards are different. Are they new cards? Just additional copies of existing cards? Hmmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
I knew Arena was coming before I bought the core set but bought one anyway since I knew I'd want two core sets and so by getting one of each I get the different spell books and boards as well as more of the cards.

But the expansions threw me. I didn't realize they would be changing too. And I'm not sure it's worth buying them again for the extra 20+ cards without knowing what cards are different. Are they new cards? Just additional copies of existing cards? Hmmm.

More copies of the same cards.

As I linked above, the old Forcemaster vs Warlord expansion had odd numbers of copies of some spells. With Druid vs Necromancer, they set a new precedent to include (off the top of my head) 2 copies of "Epic" and/or "[mage type] Only" spells, 3 copies of "unique" and/or "legendary" spells (that aren't "[mage type] Only"), 4 copies of all other level 2+ spells, and 6 copies of level 1 spells, since that's enough for any single spell book (and probably enough for several built simultaneously, as long as you aren't trying to build, say, 3 different Forcemasters or something) - which means you don't *need* more than 1 copy of the expansion. With the reprint of Forcemaster vs Warlord, they've decided to upgrade the spell counts to be more in line with Druid vs Necromancer.

Here's the Druid vs Necromancer card counts for comparison.

*edit* There's just 1 copy of the mage's image and reference cards, of course. And there's 1 copy of some of the most commonly used spells reprinted from the core set with alternate art (or not?), which are just bonuses really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to guess by looking at the old card list, I'd expect more copies of:
- Arc Lightning (+1 = 6)
- Archer's Watchtower (+1 = 4; or maybe +3 = 6?)
- Barracks (+1 = 2)
- Dancing Scimitar (+1 = 4)
- Defense Ring (+1 = 4; or maybe +3 = 6?)
- Destroy Magic (+1 = 4)
- Earth Elemental (+2 = 4)
- Falcon Precision (+1 = 6)
- Galvitar (+1 = 2)
- Garrison Post (+1 = 4; or maybe +3 = 6?)
- Grimson Deadeye (+1 = 3)
- Invisible Fist (+1 = 6)
- Invisible Stalker (+1 = 2)
- Ludwig Boltstorm (+1 = 3)
- Mass Sleep (+1 = 4)
- Mind Shield (+1 = 6)
- Repulse (+1 = 6)
- Selesius (+1 = 3)
- Sir Corazin (+1 = 3)
- Sniper Shot (+1 = 6)
- Standard Bearer (+1 = 2)
- Storm Drake Hide (+1 = 4)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brett
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've got a Mage Wars Arena version of Forcemaster vs Warlord. As far as I can tell (I don't own the previous edition); the old difference is new cover to fit with the new range title and updated cards (quantity and wording).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time out...

Wording is changing on cards?

Can someone please let me know what is changing here? Game game cards being re-worded as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:
Time out...

Wording is changing on cards?

Can someone please let me know what is changing here? Game game cards being re-worded as well?

Since Mage Wars was released in 2012, several cards have been errata'd and/or reworded. For example, core set cards including Battle Fury, Temple of Light and Hand of Bim-Shallah underwent rather significant errata for power balance reasons, while other cards like Malacoda and Idol of Pestilence had rewordings and/or introduced new key words (like "poison" damage and "poison immunity") for theme and gameplay reasons (e.g. Malacoda is immune to all poison effects now, not just his own; and the Necromancer is immune to Idol of Pestilence's damage, since it is now keyworded as "poison damage"). Most of the cards with new/alternate artwork in the 4th printing of the core set have new artwork to easily distinguish copies with the new wording from the old, although I know that newer copies of the Core Spell Tomes also have updated wording (but old artwork) on several cards - and I imagine that's true for some of the more recent printings of the core set (I only have the first printing of the core set). To see the "current" wording of most cards, see the very useful official card database (although I'm not sure if 100% of the cards have been updated).

Functionally, in official tournaments, the new wording is used regardless of which version of the physical card you have in front of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bowers
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a pdf of the old card list saved on my computer, and just got my copy of FvW last night! Upon opening it, I figure I would post here, the total card count differences. The results are:

Arc Lightning +1 (6 instead of 5)
Archer's Watchtower +3 (6 instead of 3)
Barracks +1 (2 instead of 1)
Defense Ring +1 (4 instead of 3)
Destroy Magic +1 (4 instead of 3)
Earth Elemental +2 (4 instead of 2)
Falcon Precision +1 (6 instead of 5)
Force Wave +1 (6 instead of 5)
Galvitar - Force Blade +1 (2 instead of 1)
Garrison Post +3 (6 instead of 3)
Goblin Builder +2 (6 instead of 4)
Grimson Deadeye, Sniper +1 (3 instead of 2)
Invisible Fist +1 (6 instead of 5)
Invisible Stalker +1 (2 instead of 1)
Ludwig Boltstorm +1 (3 instead of 2)
Mana Prism +1 (4 instead of 3)
Mangler Caltrops +2 (6 instead of 4)
Mass Sleep +1 (4 instead of 3)
Mind Shield +1 (6 instead of 5)
Repulse +1 (6 instead of 5)
Selesiusm, the East Wind +1 (3 instead of 2)
Sir Corazin, Blademaster +1 (3 instead of 2)
Sniper Shot +1 (6 instead of 5)
Standard Bearer +1 (2 instead of 1)
Storm Drake Hide +1 (4 instead of 3)

32 new cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting the list!

RainYupa wrote:
32 new cards!

You mean 32 additional copies of the old cards? So us owners of the older version already have the same cards, just not in the same numbers, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any artwork differences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bowers
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Thanks for posting the list!

RainYupa wrote:
32 new cards!

You mean 32 additional copies of the old cards? So us owners of the older version already have the same cards, just not in the same numbers, right?

Aye, additional copies of ones already in existence (as per the list). There's nothing NEW new, but I don't think anyone was expecting that.

mandingoman wrote:
Any artwork differences?

Not so much - but mind you, I didn't have FvW prior to this week. But I think everything's the same, art-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing that. Looks like I was pretty close with my guesses up-thread. But no 4th copy of Dancing Scimitar? That's a popular one that all my solo/buddy mages depend on (e.g. Forcemaster, Anvil Throne "full metal dwarf" Warlord, Sectarus Warlock, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RainYupa wrote:
32 new cards!
Wow! That's pretty huge. How did the price change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael van der Zande
Netherlands
Wateringen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there any change in the quality of the markers in the new printing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This genealogy is way too confusing for a game I'm not playing much these days. I'm sticking with the pre-arena stuff I bought and going no further. I wish happy gaming to those more persevering than I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.