GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,608 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Podcasts & Blogs

Subject: Beginner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Ives
msg tools
mb
Hey there

I'm a writer and a new comer to the board game scene. I've already tried out a bunch of games and I'm interested in hearing some recommendations on games you think I should try next. So far I think my favorite genre is themed co-ops.

I've done two roundups of the games I've played so far on my blog. I've tried to keep the writing consistent so other new comers can understand it. If people like this type of content I will keep posting them:

Latest: http://jimo.co.uk/post/117764492674
First: http://jimo.co.uk/post/114546413569

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calum M
Scotland
flag msg tools
Mmmm, teacakes.
badge
There's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, having skimmed your blog posts. Here are some very quick recommendations:

Co-op: Pandemic - By the same designer as Forbidden Desert, it's a fantastic game of saving the world.

Party game: Dixit - My favourite party game. Strange art, great fun

Themed game: Ankh-Morpork. I'm assuming you like Discworld. I mean everyone does, right? Lord Vetinari has disappeared. can you take his place?

Just a few quick suggestions of the top of my head. I'm sure there will be plenty more good ones coming your way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Marton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great blog! Thanks for sharing! I too am new to board gaming. I love my copies of Dead of Winter and Elder Sign (get the expansions!). Based on just the two blogs listed I agree with the above poster that you would like Pandemic. Also i adooooore my copy of Five Tribes. It's my one step up game. Also I didn't think I would but I really like King of Tokyo. Lords of Waterdeep is fantastic. My wife and I thought it was easy enough. It's scoundrels expansion is a must have as well. Lastly I love Small World so much I snagged up all the expansions. Hopefully soon I'll feel comfy enough to crack out my copy of Game of Thrones.

I am very curious of Sheriff of Nottingham. I think my next purchases will be Pandemic: On the Brink, Ticket to Ride (tenth anniversary), some Legendary expansions, Smash Up, Shadows Over Camelot and Resistance: Avalon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Black
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Absolutely love LOVE your website!

Super Dungeon Explore and Mansions of Madness for me, please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimouk wrote:
Hey there

I'm a writer and a new comer to the board game scene. I've already tried out a bunch of games and I'm interested in hearing some recommendations on games you think I should try next. So far I think my favorite genre is themed co-ops.

I've done two roundups of the games I've played so far on my blog. I've tried to keep the writing consistent so other new comers can understand it. If people like this type of content I will keep posting them:

Latest: http://jimo.co.uk/post/117764492674
First: http://jimo.co.uk/post/114546413569

Thanks!
I'll have to check out your blog later on a computer that'll be able to handle them. For now, my picks for fully-co-ops include:

Yggdrasil
Unfortunately, this is OOP There is an Ipad version though. I'm also working on a text based, digital version of this game just for the fun of it. Norse mythology, Ragnorak theme.

Ghost Stories
"Harder version of Pandemic" with a Chinese, ghost hunting theme

Sentinels Of The Multiverse
Card game with a super hero and villain theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
and now for something completely differnt...

you should check out Escape: The Curse of the Temple, a ten-minute mad dash through a temple for treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Bonilla
United States
Winneconne
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's simply endless possibilities, but I'll toss out a randomish selection of some of my faves:

1) I'll second Pandemic. It's still my favorite game.
2) Unless I missed it in your entries, it doesn't look like you've tried deckbuilding games yet I'd recommend Dominion (or Marvel Legendary if you prefer co-op and comic book super heroes)
3) Kemet (feels epic and meaty but plays smooth. Great mythological themed area control game)
4) Saint Petersburg (another one of my faves. Just got reprinted so is readily available.)
5) Guildhall (Really fun set collection game. The theme is ridiculously, unnecessarily dull unless you get the pirate themed one that came in AEG's special Black Box, but still a great game night primer or closer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ives
msg tools
mb
Awesome suggestions so far, thank you everyone!

I'm going to be placing an order for a bunch of new games next week so I'll definitely look into all of these. Ghost Stories really caught my eye after watching some reviews because of how insanely difficult it seems.

I'll be sure to update my blog again soon with some more games I've tried out. Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you guys like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Spence
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great article and good design on the site. I hope to see more from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.