GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Joel Gabelman
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there's a new in shrink Mayfair edition of the game I'm considering buying. How can you tell if it has the updated board and tile set?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If both sides of the #63 tiles have a revenue of $40 then the game is correct(ed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The box is still in shrink.

Anyway to tell fron the box?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if the tiles aren't in the box (which would be surprising, mayfair will send them to you.

nothing to worry about.

but no i do not know of a way to be certain. other than to say i bought mine like 2 years ago and had the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know they had a corrected second printing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alonso Alvarez
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
Coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think you can know from the box if you have the latest version, but if you acquire it use clearclaw answer to determine if you need to email mayfair for the corrected tiles as mentioned by Samuel.

They will mail them to you really fast, I purchased one from the first print run and they sent me the corrected tiles once they were available.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's was single, smaller, punchboard with the corrected tiles included in the copy I bought a few weeks ago. I don't know if there really ever was a second printing as the original tiles with errors are also still in my copy.

Here's a link to the errata pdf. It's been around since 2012 so I imagine any copy sold in the last 2 years would have the corrected tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also under the impression that one of the city's should have been grey, not brown. I thought they had corrected this in a new print run. Maybe I'm wrong? Either way, thanks for the info! It sounds like even if I got an older print run without the tiles, it's an easy fix at Mayfair will complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in my copy. The board still has the misprints as follows:

Board – Classic
1) The Richmond hex (K15) should be grey, as it cannot be upgraded.
2) The Detroit/Windsor hex (D10) should have a cost of $80 to place a tile. Board tile 30l has the correct information and can be used to correct this problem.
3) The Ottawa hex (B16) should have no cost to place a tile. Board tile 30q has the correct information and can be used to correct this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There has been only one print run of the Mayfair edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Richmond hex has no viable tile upgrades so while it should be grey it's functionally identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
There has been only one print run of the Mayfair edition.

Is that an ongoing print run? Are they still shipping out copys of the game?
Or are there now a limited supply of games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The run was large. There is considerable unsold stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The editions in other languages have the same components. e.g. the Dutch version also has the misprints and includes the corrected tiles as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dulcey
United States
Dorchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Mayfair normally prints enough of a game to keep it in stock for at least five years. Their business model is to do large print runs to keep the unit cost down, but that means they instead tie up capital in unsold games. They don't plan for reprints; most of their games other than Catan and the earliest crayon rail games have only had one print run.

The alternative is to do printings that are just large enough for current demand or just a bit larger, and plan to reprint as needed. Companies like GMT and Splotter do that. They pay more per game to make the copies but end up with less unsold inventory.

Mayfair's edition of 1830 has only had one printing so far. The company still has copies in stock and there are also numerous copies at game stores, so it's not likely to get another printing in the near future. They have issued corrected tiles; the board is uncorrected but you can use tiles to work around the errors. The company charters with the wrong number of token slots have not been corrected; you just have to remember. (The rule book and the number of tokens in the box are correct.) Copies of 1830 that you buy now will already contain the corrected tiles unless you find one that has been lying around in a store for a LONG time, and if you don't get the tiles you can ask Mayfair to send you a set. New copies don't include the list of changes, so you may want to download the PDF and print a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Meertens
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
You gotta hang on to the trip you're on
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

2) The Detroit/Windsor hex (D10) should have a cost of $80 to place a tile. Board tile 30l has the correct information and can be used to correct this problem.

Unfortunately this tile 30l is a misprint on its own because it doesn't have the OO marking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.