United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That the Defense numbers are not written on the base of each ship. It seems that a before damage/after damage number should be on the four sides. That would make tactics a bit easier, without having to constantly reference the stat cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speak for yourself!
I have no problem with stat cards.
Actually I have a problem with heroclix-like "gamey" colours and numbers on the bases, that would have been disappointing.
But as is, everything is fine with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the fact it's not a clix-like system for the following reasons:

* You can use the miniatures with other systems without having clutter.
* You can display them as toys.
* Making mods is easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:

* Making mods is easier.

#2 is the reason, actually. Wizards realizes that people collect these for the minis, not just for the gameplay, so they wanted to make sure that they would appeal to those collectors, too. That means keeping the game stats off the figs.

Besides, it lets you mix things up a bit. If you want your standard freighter to be the Millenium Falcon, you just need to track down the Falcon's stat card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
anarchy wrote:

* Making mods is easier.

#2 is the reason, actually. Wizards realizes that people collect these for the minis, not just for the gameplay, so they wanted to make sure that they would appeal to those collectors, too. That means keeping the game stats off the figs.

Besides, it lets you mix things up a bit. If you want your standard freighter to be the Millenium Falcon, you just need to track down the Falcon's stat card.

For me #1 (use the miniatures with other systems) would be the reason. After reading these rules, I don't think that they would stand up to any of the several other space combat rule systems I own. However, it is tempting to get some of these ships to go with better rule systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Speak for yourself!
I have no problem with stat cards.
Actually I have a problem with heroclix-like "gamey" colours and numbers on the bases, that would have been disappointing.
But as is, everything is fine with me.

We are so glad all is fine with you. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your interesting comment snore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom DeHaan
United States
~Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
beri wrote:
...Wizards realizes that people collect these for the minis, not just for the gameplay, so they wanted to make sure that they would appeal to those collectors, too...
In the long run, I'm afraid that's all they'll appeal to, collectors.

After seeing several plays of this game I have to say: very disappointing. There are so many good miniature space games that don't receive their due and yet simply because this is Star Wars and will be heavily promoted by Wizards of the Coast it will be successful. At least for awhile.

My prediction: this time next year SWM: Starship Battles will no longer be played and will be mostly forgotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After just reading the rules it seemed to me that there really isn't much to it. The battles in my mind didn't seem to have many meaningful choices or strategy, but then I haven't seen it played or played it. My thoughts do seem to be echoed by many who have so far though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
After just reading the rules it seemed to me that there really isn't much to it. The battles in my mind didn't seem to have many meaningful choices or strategy, but then I haven't seen it played or played it. My thoughts do seem to be echoed by many who have so far though.

You're not wrong. The rules for this game do seem to be way, waaay too simplified, which doesn't say much for the game designers' opinions of Star Wars fans like me... But don't say that over at the official Star Wars minis forum at the WotC site or fans will bite your head off. There are actually people over there that are proudly proclaiming that much of the strategy of the game comes from the designing of your force before the game starts. How nice for them. Unfortunately that doesn't leave a whole lot of strategy for the gameplay itself.

Oh well, the ships are still awesome looking, and oh so useable for other space combat game systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
jeff brown wrote:

You're not wrong. The rules for this game do seem to be way, waaay too simplified, which doesn't say much for the game designers' opinions of Star Wars fans like me... But don't say that over at the official Star Wars minis forum at the WotC site or fans will bite your head off. There are actually people over there that are proudly proclaiming that much of the strategy of the game comes from the designing of your force before the game starts. How nice for them. Unfortunately that doesn't leave a whole lot of strategy for the gameplay itself.

Oh well, the ships are still awesome looking, and oh so useable for other space combat game systems.

I love Star Wars but I'm not willing to swallow everything that they feed me, unlike it seems so many others, like those you describe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
jeff brown wrote:

There are quite a few members over at the official WotC forum expressing their dissapointment with this game, myself included.

As I said in another thread I will buy boosters of this occasionally when I have the extra cash to burn (the minis are just so nice...) and I may play this occasionally...but I dont see much longetivity coming from this product.

Fortunately it doesn't seem that WotC/Avalon Hill's next miniature game (AAM: War at Sea) will be suffering from a lackluster ruleset...

Only time will tell though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.