6 Posts

Keyflower» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stone scoring tiles when no stone generating tiles in use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We had our 2nd game of this tonight, and the same thing has happened twice now, no stone generating tile came out for us to purchase, then later the stone VP tile is out, also a few of the tiles require the stone to upgrade a tile, I know I can use gold as stone, but if one person has 1 gold generating tile you can only use that a couple of times in a season. Are we setting up the spring correctly? Drawing 6 randomly from 12?
Also
1, if you have the movement tile (the one with the horse On it) showing 2 and 1 house symbol, can you split two goods? Move 1 good to one tile and another good from the same tile to another tile then upgrade one of those or even a different one? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Are we setting up the spring correctly? Drawing 6 randomly from 12?

I think this is OK and the problem is built into the game. Of course you may considerthis when bidding for the tiles; interesting auctions can occur this way.

Quote:
Also, if you have the movement tile (the one with the horse On it) showing 2 and 1 house symbol, can you split two goods?

Yes.
(BTW, I think the "house" symbol is an arrow, i.e. the same arrow that shows the improvement conditions on the tiles.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably no more than a tiny consideration, but don't forget you can also use the Start Meeple as a stone (or any other resource) at the end of the game. That's a rule I overlooked for a LONG time.

Weighed down by two expansions and half-a-dozen promos, I have considered putting together 'fixed' tile sets to increase the range of strategic options in the game. Watch this space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly this is fixed with bidding, I think, as other posters have mentioned. If there's little or no stone production in the game, don't bid for the tiles that need stone to score, and all is well.

But there is an odd case...what are the chances that you'll never be able to upgrade your home tile, and your opponent can? This would be an actual disadvantage (my estimate: a 3-point disadvantage, on the theory that I would probably upgrade my home tile in only about half of games if it were worth 2 points instead of 5).

This can only happen in a two-player game (because see spring section below) (ignoring promos/expansions for now).

There's a 4/5 chance you'll need a resource for your home tile upgrade that your opponent doesn't. Let's call it stone, for...concreteness. cool

Four of the spring tiles generate stone or gold without upgrading, and two other tiles will generate gold after upgrading. So the other six have to come out, with a 1/924 chance.

In summer, there is 1 tile that will produce stone before upgrade, and 2 more that will produce gold after upgrade, plus one side of a boat that allows upgrading with any resource (you can only use this if you win it, so let's pretend you have a 50% chance of this). There's a 1/15.4 chance of getting none of these.

So, multiplying these together, there's a 1 in 17787 chance of this disadvantage. That's not too bad.

Expansions help here. If you're using Farmers, you can, for certain, get the resource you need by winning one of the new turn order tiles with resources (though the chances of regular tiles not generating resources increases, of course). And with Merchants, any of the new tiles or boats with contracts will probably let you get you a contract to trade for stone (and one of the new tiles will just give you stone or iron straight up).

Promos, though...the relevant two are the Storyteller and Trader, spring and summer tiles that don't make resources. Redoing the numbers...a 1 in ~4173 chance. That's...still not too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
Noting what you need to upgrade you home tile should be done before you start bidding in spring...

It is rare I haven't upgraded it (the home tile) through a combination of bidding and "using" the tiles for-bid. You can lose the movement but many times it is worth it. (When you get goods from tiles for-bid they go 'straight to' your home tile)

Obviously, this can impact how many Spring tiles you bid against. I tend to find that winning more of these tiles isn't better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
1, if you have the movement tile (the one with the horse On it) showing 2 and 1 house symbol, can you split two goods? Move 1 good to one tile and another good from the same tile to another tile then upgrade one of those or even a different one? Thanks.

Number by the horse states how many "moves" you can use. With 2 moves you can:
1) Move 2 goods from tile A do adjacent tile B (must be road connection there)
2) Move 1 good from tile A to Tile B being 2 spaces away (must be road connection passing from A to x to B)
3) move one good from tile A to adjacent tile B AND move any other good C from any tile to tile adjacent to C.
Using all move points is not mandatory. You can activate movement tile with 5 moves and use only 1. Or none, just do an upgrade.

Always remember about roads! When counting distance you count "road distance". Sometimes 2 tiles are adjacent, but connected via road passing through some other tile - so distance is then 2, not 1).

After you finished moving goods around, you can upgrade ANY tile you want and can. It can be a tile G on the other side of your village, not related to movement at all. If on activated movement tile there are 2 arrow-ups, you can of course upgrade 2 different tiles. Any tiles in your village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.