Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Amos
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game last night and we had a lot of fun. Some questions arose over the drawing of technology piles.

It says that at any time players may play technology cards. Then, it says that before you can play cards from the technology piles to the planning area, you need to raise the tech level. So, if I am already at level 3, do I have to use the sand timer to draw cards to put into my planning area, or do I simply refresh them automatically once I have space in my planning area? Also, what if I draw a card I already have in play, or a worse technology, can I discard that, or does it have to go into my planning area?

We're looking forward to playing again, but if someone can clarify this step of the rules, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules 3.21 Raising the technology level of the planet

Quote:
Before a player is allowed to put technology cards from the general technology pile in his planning area, he has to raise the technology level of his planet first. In doing so, he has to activate a sand timer on the sand timer field (The image of a sand timer on the planet).

Even though you are at level 3 you must still use a sand timer to grab technology cards from either your hand or from piles 2 or 3. The tech level marker just stops at three because there are no further decks of cards to draw from.

Disregard the above misinterpretation of the rules. You do not need to use a sand timer to place technology cards to your planning area. The only requirement is available open slots and respective Techlevels to acquire cards from decks 2 or 3. Sheesh ... another rules blunder soblue

Page 8 - top of the page just below example. Of the two cards you draw from either deck 2 or 3 you MUST add one to your planning area and the other goes to the bottom of the respective deck.

From page 14 - In order to scrap a card from your planning area you must put a sand timer on it and when it runs out you put this card back at the bottom of its respective deck or back into your hand. And you can never scrap cards that you have placed into your action area.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
casterman wrote:
Rules 3.21 Raising the technology level of the planet

Before a player is allowed to put technology cards from the general technology pile in his planning area, he has to raise the technology level of his planet first. In doing so, he has to activate a sand timer on the sand timer field (The image of a sand timer on the planet).

Even though you are at level 3 you must still use a sand timer to grab technology cards from either your hand or from piles 2 or 3. The tech level marker just stops at three because there are no further decks of cards to draw from.

We took the first paragraph above to mean that you had to raise the tech level to 2 before you could draw any common cards, because the common cards are only tech levels 2 and 3. We did not play that every time you wanted to draw a tech card you had to put a timer down. You have to clear a slot for the card, which means playing a timer on the card currently in production, but you would not have to then play a second timer just to draw a card. I don't have the rules in front of me (my copy has not arrived yet!) so I cannot quote directly.

I cannot imagine playing as you have it above, though; it would take forever to do anything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Amos
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone offer a third opinion here? Is there anything on this in the German FAQ? I know that the designer was lurking around here, it would be great if we could get an official answer on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoting from the English rules:

(Page 7 bottom to Page 8 top)

"A player with TechLevel 2 is allowed to draw new cards from the general technology pile 2; a player with TechLevel 3 is allowed to do so from the general technology piles 2 or 3. That means that instead of using a card from his own technology pile (hand), the player may draw two cards from a general technology pile anytime. He looks at both cards, puts one of them back face-down under the pile and puts the other one in his planning area."

To me, this is quite clear. Playing a card from your hand does not require the use of a timer, it simply requires an open slot in the planning area. Similarly, using a 2 or 3 level card does not require a timer to simply draw the card, but it does require an open slot in the planning area, and if it isn't useful, you will either have it taking up space there for the rest of the game, or have to waste a timer to get rid of it.

Section 3.2 on page 7 also seems to run toward this, as it specifically lays out the following potential uses for a timer:

* Raise the technology level of the planet
* Build a technology card (i.e.: one already in planning area)
* Use a technology card (i.e.: one already built)
* Move the spaceship

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
Quoting from the English rules:

(Page 7 bottom to Page 8 top)

"A player with TechLevel 2 is allowed to draw new cards from the general technology pile 2; a player with TechLevel 3 is allowed to do so from the general technology piles 2 or 3. That means that instead of using a card from his own technology pile (hand), the player may draw two cards from a general technology pile anytime. He looks at both cards, puts one of them back face-down under the pile and puts the other one in his planning area."

Which brings me to another question: when drawing from your own hand, do you have to draw 2 and choose one, or can you simply draw the one you want directly? We were taught the former, though they were a bit unsure about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Per section 3.1, page 7 of the rules:

"At the top of each planet card, there is a player's planning area (magnifying glass symbols on the planet) where he can lay out up to two cards (choosing any card(s) from his own technology pile)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Can't wait for my copy to arrive....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what's ur technology pile, or hand ?

we played that u had to either play or discard cards...though it was all our first time(at bgg.con)...

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darlok wrote:
what's ur technology pile, or hand ?

we played that u had to either play or discard cards...though it was all our first time(at bgg.con)...

Level One technologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 3 player game twice last night, we were using a sand timer to draw a tech card from whatever level pile you had researched up to.

Next time we will try drawing cards and placing them in the research area.

This second method seems to make the "Technology Center" a more useful card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Norman
United Kingdom
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IntvGene wrote:
I just played my first game last night and we had a lot of fun. Some questions arose over the drawing of technology piles.

It says that at any time players may play technology cards. Then, it says that before you can play cards from the technology piles to the planning area, you need to raise the tech level. So, if I am already at level 3, do I have to use the sand timer to draw cards to put into my planning area, or do I simply refresh them automatically once I have space in my planning area? Also, what if I draw a card I already have in play, or a worse technology, can I discard that, or does it have to go into my planning area?

We're looking forward to playing again, but if someone can clarify this step of the rules, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

There are four things that require a timer:

(1) Raising the planet's technology level.

(2) Moving a card from the planning area to the play area (i.e. building the item in question) (and also moving from the planning area back to the deck, if you don't want the card).

(3) Mining and Converting Goods.

(4) Moving the spaceship.

Taking two cards from the level 2 or level 3 technology deck, placing one in your planning area and the other at the bottom of the deck, does NOT require a timer, and can be done at any time, provided (a) you've got a space in your planning area, and (b) you've got the required tech level.

Joe Casadonte wrote:
Which brings me to another question: when drawing from your own hand, do you have to draw 2 and choose one, or can you simply draw the one you want directly? We were taught the former, though they were a bit unsure about it.

You can take any of the cards from your hand to the planning area.

David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.