United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Caveat: I've only read the rulebook and have not yet looked at the component distribution.

In the back of the rulebook, there are several suggested cardlists for the starting zones. There is an ampersand between many pairs of them. For example, I think the Beginner setup is Ancient Egypt & Rome. I do know that Ancient Egypt is a Time I card from the examples in the book. Does that mean they want you to add two Time I cards to the starting zones? I cannot think of another reason for the ampersand between the first 3 pairings and not the last 4 entries...

TL;DR - Why are some cards paired with an "&" and some not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Caveat: I've only read the rulebook and have not yet looked at the component distribution.

In the back of the rulebook, there are several suggested cardlists for the starting zones. There is an ampersand between many pairs of them. For example, I think the Beginner setup is Ancient Egypt & Rome. I do know that Ancient Egypt is a Time I card from the examples in the book. Does that mean they want you to add two Time I cards to the starting zones? I cannot think of another reason for the ampersand between the first 3 pairings and not the last 4 entries...

TL;DR - Why are some cards paired with an "&" and some not?

It's just a poor delimiter. In my version of the file it's slashes. Ancient Egypt is Time 1; Roman Empire and Renaissance are Time 2; the next three are Time 3, the last four Time 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. That makes sense, although I have never before seen the & used like a comma/colon/semicolon/etc. I thought my understanding of the setup was correct. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're on the subject, when you came up with the suggested setups, did you have in mind that the order the Zones were listed in would be the order they go in on the board, left to right? Or just that those particular zones would be used, no matter which spots they're in? This makes a big difference especially because of the starting zone, as well as the fact that it's harder to ever reach the first and last zone in Time IV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
While we're on the subject, when you came up with the suggested setups, did you have in mind that the order the Zones were listed in would be the order they go in on the board, left to right? Or just that those particular zones would be used, no matter which spots they're in? This makes a big difference especially because of the starting zone, as well as the fact that it's harder to ever reach the first and last zone in Time IV.

Sorry, missed this question.

They are in order, left to right. The game is supposed to work with random cards, but the intention for those special set-ups is to put the cards down in the order given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Maloney
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as we appear to have attracted your attention, sir, I have a few questions. I'll be teaching this game at Cafe Jay during the World Boardgaming Championships about a month from now, so my inquiries are not idle.
Under Turns, it says: "Players take turns. Each turn consists of four phases. .
Then it says "1. Change history" and goes on to explain how one does that. But the placement of the pawn in my color at the start prevents me from performing this action. And I wondered. . . do these phases have to go in order, because if they do, I'm stuck before I even begin. All right, so common sense dictates that you can't perform the 1st phase of the four phases on your opening turn.
Or does it? Have I missed something?
Shouldn't the first sentence, under "Turns" include the phrase that the phases are played out in order, except for the opening round, when because of the position of player pawns, the first phase can not be performed. Because otherwise, as one attempts to follow the game process in the rule book, one comes up against that immediate question - Are phases played out in order? Simultaneously?
There are also no instructions under Preparation regarding the placement of the six Paths. One has to assume that they're placed, initially, in the brighter pink board paths, but I generally hate assuming anything when I'm trying to learn a game from a rule book. I like things spelled out clearly. Doesn't everybody?
I'm sure this is all quite clear to people familiar with the game, but for some of us newcomers, it creates questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
SkipM624 wrote:
Under Turns, it says: "Players take turns. Each turn consists of four phases. .
Then it says "1. Change history" and goes on to explain how one does that. But the placement of the pawn in my color at the start prevents me from performing this action. And I wondered. . . do these phases have to go in order, because if they do, I'm stuck before I even begin. All right, so common sense dictates that you can't perform the 1st phase of the four phases on your opening turn.
Or does it? Have I missed something?
Shouldn't the first sentence, under "Turns" include the phrase that the phases are played out in order, except for the opening round, when because of the position of player pawns, the first phase can not be performed. Because otherwise, as one attempts to follow the game process in the rule book, one comes up against that immediate question - Are phases played out in order? Simultaneously?

You can't change history from time 4. That's true both on your first turn, and on later turns when you start in time 4. I have taught the game many times and never had this be confusing.

SkipM624 wrote:
There are also no instructions under Preparation regarding the placement of the six Paths. One has to assume that they're placed, initially, in the brighter pink board paths, but I generally hate assuming anything when I'm trying to learn a game from a rule book. I like things spelled out clearly. Doesn't everybody?

It's in the first paragraph on page 4, under the "Preparation" heading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Maloney
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct, of course, about the Paths. Must have read that damn paragraph half a dozen times, and skipped over its final sentence.
As I understand it, although the rules do not indicate this specifically, the phases must be executed in order. In other words, you can't 'visit' the Zone your pawn is in, and then move. Again, this may appear obvious to anyone familiar with the game, but without a specific rule stating this 'obvious,' I tend to ask the question.
Thanks for your help, by the way. Always nice to be able to communicate with the person at whose desk the 'buck' stops (to coin a Harry Truman phrase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
SkipM624 wrote:
As I understand it, although the rules do not indicate this specifically, the phases must be executed in order. In other words, you can't 'visit' the Zone your pawn is in, and then move. Again, this may appear obvious to anyone familiar with the game, but without a specific rule stating this 'obvious,' I tend to ask the question.

I have not previously encountered any confusion there, but you are correct that the rulebook just says "a turn has four phases" and then numbers them, without going on to say "do phase 1, then phase 2, then phase 3, then phase 4." That is what you do though, you do them in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.