Popular Tags: stats [+] gamesplayed [+] [View All]
Rob Leveille
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to find the best way to track the games that my group plays. I currently use a notebook to track the scores, then i also input it into GameTracker - a software package designed for this. While I like GameTracker, it has a lot of bugs and is kind of finicky to use.

What I'm looking for is maybe a homemade database system to track scores and tally players' win ratios within specific games. Tracking average/median scores (maybe based on how many players in game) would also be a great feature.

If I knew how to use the programs, I would design it myself but doing that kind of work always results in migraines and anxiety attacks for me.

What is everyone else using? Is there a package out there already for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Filemaker, it is not free but you can track anything with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC GameTracker was written in FileMaker.

I wrote up my own GameLogger program, and released it to teh internets, but it doesn't really track a group's gaming, as it is much more of an individual tool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I built my own system in Filemaker -- I found that GameTracker was finicky, and also, non-modifiable (since it was actually created using Filemaker Developer)...so you couldn't actually change fields, layouts, etc.

Everything is automated and relational. There are navigation buttons and an instruction sheet. Of course, it's all set up for what my group tracks (which is a lot: http://www.libogroup.com/leaderboard.htm). It also ties directly in to our collection database, which makes things easier...

I've not actually looked into wiping out the data for a new user. I'm sure it could be done, though. The biggest problem I'd see would be 1) deactivating things in the system you don't want; and 2) rewriting the scripts to reflect WHERE on your computer you place the program.

That's the one insidious thing about relational databases...unlike Excel, which is ONE file; Filemaker creates individual files for each database.

I do have an Excel file up in the files section here at BGG -- I don't use it anymore (because it's unwieldy and HUGE -- unfortunately, Excel bogs down with LOTS of data) - but it might help you in creating something for your own group...

Here's the link to that: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=16249

Good luck!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.