GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,575 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » Variants

Subject: Twin's Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My twin 6 (almost 7) year olds are hard core Star Realms players. They beat the AI on hard on the iOS version before I could.
Their favourite variant for an actual game against mom and dad is this:

Free for all

Non elimination

Use boosters for small hidden scoring ( see below )

First player reduced to zero authority triggers end game but the round continues so each player gets same amount of turns. Cannot be reduced below zero authority

Bases ( both types ) count as 5 authority each at the end of the game. Why not get points for things that haven't been blown up, dad??

Subtract 5 authority for each booster used.

Therefore: Final authority equals authority card value, plus five for each active base, minus 5 for each booster used.

Highest authority wins game.

Yes, that means someone whose authority was reduced to zero to trigger the end game, could theoretically win the game if he/she had enough bases that were left alone, and unused boosters. Or at the very least, they may not necessarily 'lose' the game.

Ties are broken by the tied player having the most active bases.

Is it perfect... no.
That's the way they want to play, and that's fine by me

Booster explanation:
Draw your starting hand as usual. Place off to side for a bit...
Each player is then dealt three cards. Each card must be a ship ( not base )between 3 and 5. Show and Return back any card not qualifying. Deal another until such a condition exists.
Players may accept a 1 or 2 cost card if they prefer, but don't have to.
Players may reveal the cards to opponents to ensure that the above rule has been observed... or use honour system
Players then take the three boosters and 3 scouts from their deck and secretly choose how many, if any, boosters they'd like. They then place any combination of three cards off to the side face down until the end of the game... and the other three in their discard pile.
After they have played their first hand... ALL cards ( not the 3 secret face down cards ) are reshuffled and their regular hand size is drawn again.
All players will have a small side pile of three face down cards that will be revealed at the end of the game.(scouts and/or boosters )

If a player reveals three scouts, 15 points are removed.
If a player reveals two scouts and one non-scout, 10 points are removed,
etc.

Edited a few times for spelling and to explain boosters 'better'... I hope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome booster idea. I like the creativity :-). Whatever works for them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...that looks AWESOME
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.