Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Lin
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first session report on BBG. So please be gentle. My wife and I have been playing Lost Cities for the past several nights before we sleep. And last night, I thought we would try my newly acquired Rumis for a change. I opened the box and read the rules while she was brushing her teeth. And when she’s done, I’m done reading! The game is that simple. So we started off playing with the biggest square map. She was the first player and the game lasted for 5-6 min and I won by a lot. On the next round, I played first on a the smaller square map and I lost by a lot. So she complained that the game wasn’t balanced because the first player would lose. Well, I convinced her to play one last round for the night and she agreed. We played on the L-shaped map this time and I was the first player. I placed the straight 4 tile as my starting move, and she immediately placed her straight 4 tile on top of mine to totally mask my tile. I didn’t feel right so I went back to the rule and it says the starting tile must be on the ground (I take it as the starting tile can’t be a 2-story tile and can’t not be on top of other players tiles). So I made it clear that she couldn’t place that on top of me on her first move, but she could do so on her next move—which she did. Anyway, to make the story short, I was able to block her off at the corner of the L and she ended up not being able to play her last 3 pieces. Of course I won by a lot, but she wasn’t happy at all.

Overall, I like the game, but I think it’ll work better with more players than 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Powpow wrote:
I went back to the rule and it says the starting tile must be on the ground (I take it as the starting tile can’t be a 2-story tile and can’t not be on top of other players tiles)

Overall, I like the game, but I think it’ll work better with more players than 2.

I see no reason you can't play a 2-story tile; it just has to have at least one face touching the ground. So it could also cover some of the first player's first tile.

The game works nicely with 2, as a pure strategy game. Multiplayer it becomes more chaotic but also works quite well. It's become one of my recent favorites, and it's also good for introducing to non-gamers. We recently taught several people at an otherwise non-gaming party, and most of them enjoyed it and kept playing several times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, the Educational Insights edition leaves this rule out entirely.

That being the case, it's easy to play without.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.