Popular Tags: [View All]
John Heder
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming back from BGG-Con a friend - Sedjtroll brought back a copy of Hunting Party. He and some other people tried playing a few rounds or something a few nights ago and last night he, myself and a third played a game.

After going over the rules we each received our heros. Tyler who went first got the castle guard (or something like that). This turned out to not be the best hero as one of his abilities is meant to specifically help the hero he is with (I believe). Sedjtroll went second got the court jester. Again, not that great as a hero, but had an interesting ability which Sedjtroll forgot about for a few turns. Had he remembered he could make other players characters start out fatigued He could have stopped me from doing so well. I went last and my hero was some sort of warrior that 1 added 4 gold to the treasure when I defeated any dark agent and 2 got to bid first on every hire opportunity if I wanted.

The bidding first was annoying to the other two - a little bit helpful to me, but it was the four extra gold that per dark agent defeated that won me the game in the first few rounds.

My first hire was a knight that allowed me to pay one less share of the treasure for every female in the party. My second wasa female, and my third was a male that I gave a sex change potion to to save myself another share.

With these guys I quickly successfully hunted a few times and the first time I wasn't able to beat the bad guys I used the knights special ability to sacrifice himself for one more thing. This got me more gold, but was anoying because I now had two characters that each got an extra share they hadn't gotten before. However, by this time I had collected 10 to 15 gold. It was also about this time that Sedjtroll discovered that he could have been fatiguing one of my hunters each turn. This he began to do, but I had allready lost steam and was slowing down on the gold collection.

Tyler through all this time was hirinig a few characters, going hunting a few times, but not very succesfully, and struggling to keep any gold.

Sedjtroll was also having a hard time. He got a hunter that could look at the top card on the hunting stacks - the palace, the catacombs, etc, but could not get a hero with fighting ability and could not go hunting too much.

Tyler, rather quickly deduced the skills that the big bad guy had and was attemtping to hire the hunters necessary to go get him. I took a turn or two more to figure things out, but Sedjtorll may not have completely figured it out even by the time we stopped playing as he had been able to hunt so few times.

As I watched Tyler attempt to hire the necessary hunters I guessed on a couple of things and hired more and more hunters, but eventually gave up trying to get what I needed to get the big bad guy and went for more and more gold. By the time I had collected over 20 gold, ( I counted 24 when we stopped playing and I had spent three gold for items with the last couple of dard agents defeated) It was decided that I had an insurmountable lead and we called the game with me as the victor.

Tyler and Sedjtroll were both frustrated from the beginning while I got extremely lucky with my hero. He had two good skills and the four extra gold per ransom collected cemented me wihtin the first two or three rounds. His bid first ability as I have said was nice but more annoying to the other players rather than great for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry to say that last night's game of hunting Party was pretty dissapointing. As he said, John (hederj) started out with the Gladiator or whatever it's called - which had both fighting skill and the additional 4 gold. He managed to win a hunter first (using his 'bid first' ability) - and it was the Knight. So, well equipped to fight in the Palace, John went a-huntin' and started raking in money. The deduction element of this particular game didn't even matter, as John got so far ahead while Lowski (Tyler) and I were struggling to hire people with fighting skills.

It was noted (by me) that I could have stopped John from hunting by using the Jester's ability, so the whole game could have gone another way. I'll admit that I forgot about the ability at first, and John got away with 3 successful hunts before I locked down his Knight.

I only locked down the knight once. After that John hired a Sorcerer who could cancel the ability. Lowski however had the ability to counter his counter (his Hero was the Royal Bodyguard), and he suggested I lock down the Knight again. I had hired a Spy, and looked at the next card in the Palace pile - John couldn't beat it, so I didn't bother fatigueing the Knight. Wary of that card, John went hunting somewhere else - and he was unsuccessful! Finally the knight died and the Sorcer and other female character got more expensive.

Another problem I had this game was that I hired the Enchantress (disband to steal a male character) - because it seemed I needed SOMETHING, and this would let me take someone else's character. I had to bid 3 shares to win it though, leaving me just 1 (with 1 on the spy and three more on some other character which didn't have fighting skills either). Even after 2 successful hunts, I still couldn't afford to disband the Enchantress to use her ability!

I had spent my money buying items which gave my crappy characters fighting skills. I got the Barbarian's Axe and later some Bow. The plan was to use the Spy to find where I could actually win a fight, then go win it. but several turns in a row I peeked at the Palace and couldn't defeat the Dark Agent. I looked at the catacombs, and could win that fight, but I didn't have Guiding skill to the Catacombs :/

What a miserable game of Hunting Party that was!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dupree
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some (almost all) of the abilities you guys mentioned using are champion abilities. Your Hero is a champion automatically, but the other hunters in your parties aren't champions unless you manage to get their item (the one that matches their name) and equip them with it.

The Gladiator is one of the best heroes to start with. The court jester is one of the worst. The Bodyguard can be good or bad depending on the game/players - in a game with a lot of "take that!" going on, he can be pretty good, but in a less take-that game like the one you played not so much. So it's not too too surprising that hederj won. We typically allow each player to take two hunters and pick one for their hero to reduce the chance someone will get stuck with a near useless hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wang
United States
west covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have powerless hero, the more chance people would want to work with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.