Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
The holidays are coming, and we'd like a gift guide for all of the confused people who search board games, and find us.

We are going to have this guide in the wiki--here is the link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Gift_Guide . People who help out will be rewarded with geekgold.

Some guidelines: This is not a gift guide for geeks. It is a gift guide for everyone, although a section for "giving a gift to a game geek" is certainly a good idea. There should be suggestions for kids, sorted by age, for families, etc. Suggestions should be for games that are reasonably easy to get, although not everything to be in Target or something. But keep the hard to find imports to a minimum.

The key is to keep this accessible. Many of the people reading this guide will never have been to this page before, and know nothing at all about hobby games. We just want to help them find what they are looking for, and, hopefully, come back again some time.

I suggest some discussion of the page here first, so that everyone doesn't go in at once and start editing over one another.

Oh, and when this is done, there will be a prominent linke to the give guide on the front page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Vogle
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would probably be easiest for the non-gamers of the world if it started with a quick overview of why a lot of these games aren't available at Walmart, and then, as you mentioned, it went into easy to understand sections, such as:

Young Kids Games
Kids Games
Games for the gaming geek
Wargames
Card Games
Family Games
Traditional/mass market US games
Party Games
Dexterity Games

Also, i'd think that each game should have a quick blurb as to why it would be a good fit, as well as a link to the bgg entry.

I'd also suggest adding links to online retailers for the harder to find games. Without a link to a retailer, my mom would never, ever be able to find a copy of BattleLore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
What a good idea! I've been trying to figure out how to give my game wishes to my family, without coming right out and telling them which games to get. I'd love to be surprised!

My game group includes people with kids of all ages and we've discovered many games that are family friendly. How should I submit these ideas?

A couple of games popular with everyone in my group that immeadiately come to mind are Bohnanza and Guillotine.

I'd love to put some brain to this project - let me know how I can help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goewert
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh, noticed the post after seeing the page in the first place.

I have started an outline..

I'm thinking something like

-Overview
-Games that have a broad audience (Think Blockus, Go, Chess, Rumis)
-Common Games by theme/mechanics
--War Games - Risk, A&A, Shogun...
--Battle Games - Heroscape, A&A Minis, Star Wars Minis, Heroclix
--Adventure Games - World of Warcraft, Shadows over Camelot...,
--Puzzle Games - Rumis, Blokus, Rubic Cubes, Kanoodle, pretty much anything Educational Insights publishes
--Kids Games - 6 to 12 - Left Turn-Right Turn, Memory, Papa Bear, the good games that Hasbro and MB make like Hi Ho Cherry Oh (Basically Playroom Games as well)
-If they Like X, They might like Y (Linking less known games with their more Popular counterparts)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goewert
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All games should be linked to their appropriate BGG page as well. More often then not, the ad below the picture is one from a reseller that already has purchased ad space.

This way, there isn't any favoritism towards online stores that could be upset at their ad dollars getting undermined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin E
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcwookie wrote:
I'd also suggest adding links to online retailers for the harder to find games.

An accompanying explanation of different retailers shipping costs might be beneficial (flat rate vs. item by item).

Also, how about a link to the gamestore DB somewhere, so people can shop locally if they have a game store nearby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goewert
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrUnicorn wrote:
mcwookie wrote:
I'd also suggest adding links to online retailers for the harder to find games.

An accompanying explanation of different retailers shipping costs might be beneficial (flat rate vs. item by item).

Also, how about a link to the gamestore DB somewhere, so people can shop locally if they have a game store nearby.

There is a gamestore DB? The only one I know of is the one at nationalgamesweek.com

Thanks for putting in the BGG Game links for me. I was just about to do that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary C
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcwookie wrote:
It would probably be easiest for the non-gamers of the world if it started with a quick overview of why a lot of these games aren't available at Walmart, and then, as you mentioned, it went into easy to understand sections, such as:

Young Kids Games
Kids Games ...

I also think it may be helpful for some if the Kids category is then broken down into actual age groups (2-4; 4-6; etc...) Maybe that will save some poor 12 year old from receiving some totally age inappropriate gift because their great-aunt doesn't know any better.

Perhaps a list of games by theme also? That way if someone knows a kid who likes trains, they could go to that section and see the plethora of appropriate rail games like TtR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Suggestions should be for games that are reasonably easy to get, although not everything to be in Target or something. But keep the hard to find imports to a minimum.

For Party Games, you might want to mention Wits & Wagers. IIRC, in the recent DiceTower interview, the NorthStar people said it would actually be in Target this holiday season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin E
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgoewert wrote:
There is a gamestore DB? The only one I know of is the one at nationalgamesweek.com

yeah, www.gamestoredb.com. it is also located under the "bazaar" menu here at the geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't checked the wiki page to see how it is shaping up yet, and perhaps people are doing this naturally. But I think it would be nice to have some kind of warning for CCG type games. Non-gamers might not realize that Collectable doesn't mean franklin mint plate type things that will go up in value, but means you don't know what you are getting it while buying. Also it would be good to note games with expansions. Pehaps link the expansions as well so that people can see what they might be getting into. On the one hand expansions are nice for birthday gifts and what not. On the other hand, I am sure my wife gets twinges of regrets for ever buying me Heroscape when a new expansion comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmb
mcwookie wrote:
It would probably be easiest for the non-gamers of the world if it started with a quick overview of why a lot of these games aren't available at Walmart, and then, as you mentioned, it went into easy to understand sections

This approach might alienate readers. We don't want them to see that and think, "I just want a normal game--I'll got somewhere else." Something at the end about how some of these games are harder to find might be in order, but let's start by just suggesting good games. Hopefully, we can also come up with some that will be available in a local Target or Walmart. I think, for example, that Blokus and rumis are at Target.

Maybe even something about how we are game geeks, but that doesnt mean we are only recommending games for geeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary C
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think we should put a couple of Gamewright games on the list as they have some pretty decent gateway stuff, kids games and several of them are commonly available at Wal Mart (albeit the cheap versions, but still).

For example:

Loot (assuming they still have any left)
Hisss
Rat-a-Tat Cat
Go Away Monster!
Turn the Tide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Gegg
United States
Festus
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hello

I would definitely suggest the following categories:

Electronic games (Scene It-like DVD games, Khet, etc.)
Couples games (men vs women, trivia, party games, etc.)
Traditional games by country (Mancala, chess variants, etc.)

It might also be helpful to include setup and setup times, play area size requirements, and play lengths. Many people are into small, quick, and easy games. This would help them pick what they want.

Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've always thought that funagain.com did a good job of this very thing (basically):

http://www.funagain.com/control/beginnersguide

Wouldn't hurt to borrow some ideas from there ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked at what's on the Wiki already. I don't know what draft that is, but I think we should avoid using geekisms like "gateway game," no matter how common that phrase is to us.

I agree with what's been posted here so far. I think the overall aim should be to address the man-on-the-street question of "What would be a good game gift?" Under that umbrella, we can then break it down into the categories of game type and appropriate age group.

As for listing retailers, I think that part will take care of itself. If they found BGG by looking for "games," then their further search for whatever specific game they choose will lead them to the retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about getting some "televised" 'PR' upon this 'site'? I've just SEEN on the 'telly' about "UNO Attack", and just before that, then "Jamie Lee Curtis" and her 'Ameri-Trailer-Trash' 'collection' of "Games Gone Whored" being foisted upon the ignoranting masses!
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmb
Gregarius wrote:
I just looked at what's on the Wiki already. I don't know what draft that is, but I think we should avoid using geekisms like "gateway game," no matter how common that phrase is to us.

I agree--there should be no talk of gateway games. This gift guide is not a surreptitious attept to lure in new gamers--it is a way for ordinary people to pick gifts, mainly for their kids or families, most likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Gateway" references have been removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think "Basically Good Games" is a very strong endorsement. What about "General Recommendations" or "Games for Any Occasion".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we're not following that "This is not a gift guide for geeks" guideline. So far, I see the following games recommended:

Blokus
Ticket to Ride
Settlers of Catan
Carcassonne
War of the Ring
Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition
Memoir '44
Nexus Ops
Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper
Mystery Rummy: Murders in the Rue Morgue
Pickomino
Um Krone und Kragen

So, OK, I'll give you Blokus and maybe even Ticket to Ride. Settlers at the edge of reason. But Carc? War of the Rings? Nexus Ops? Memoir?!?! And telling non-game non-geeks "Um Krone und Kragen" might just sound like you're spitting at them.

I think that the first three along with Wits & Wagers might be about the limit, donchathink?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leftfield
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I might have clobbered some changes taking too long to save mine. Sorry!

I agree about the 'gateway' comment. We throw around terms like this a lot and have to be very careful, not to use them in this guide.

Just looking at the the entries for Blokus and TTR:

* Blokus - "tile based game akin to Go." - can't assume a reader is going to know what a tile based game is or what Go is.
* Ticket to Ride - "Great light train game... A great gateway game." - ditto on the gateway game, and...well...I guess we can call this a train game with going into all the term 'train-game' entails

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think recommending gateway games without the word gateway is a fine idea. Carcassonne is very easy and everyone I've introduced it to has liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leftfield
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think recommending these games is ok, provided an appropriate context. Good categorization and careful descriptions using lay-terms, or analogies to what a reader is likely to be familiar with, I think, are ok

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a problem with the wiki is that in cases like this when several people are working on the same page simultaneously changes you have made are unintentionally reversed by someone else who started to edit the same page before you did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.