GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,469 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which game(s) for solo backpacking please? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Bak
United Kingdom
Alfreton
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
I'm off for a week to 10 days solo backpacking. I'll be wild-camping and have two or three hours a day to chill (alone) in my tent. I'm thinking of taking a game or two (or three!) which need to be :-

Small and Light.
Very replayable
Playable in a lightweight tent
One-player (or have a good one-player variant)
Enjoyable!
Small and Light

I'm thinking I'll need more than one game; hence the emphasis on small and light!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco Antonio Regalado
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For something small, solo and replayable, can't beat Onirim in my opinion. Bring an expansion or two along if you like, each one's just a few cards anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SET is small and works well with one. The game drives me crazy, but my wife can sit around and play it for hours so there must be something to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gunderson
msg tools
mb
+1 Space Hulk: Death Angel

Also, Friday is a fantastic solo game that meets these criteria!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For backpacking, you should be carrying games like Dominion and Thunderstone, with as many expansions as you can cram in there. After a day or so of backpacking, you'll be in excellent shape! (and great pain...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday - just don't let the cannibals get you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim (second edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panayiotis Zois
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim, Urbion, Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pearo

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
As the owner of a one man tent, beware the footprint Space Hulk takes up. Love the game, but could be impractical floor space wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bak
United Kingdom
Alfreton
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
Thanks for the posts so far guys. I'm already acting on these and looking into possibly buying all these so I'll have time to play and choose between them.

Any more suggestions or comments will be very welcome and acted upon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim, Urbion, Friday, Goblins VS Zombies, Isle of D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles S
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fellow backpacker and solo gamer, I can heartily suggest any or all of the following (Star Realms is probably the heaviest, if you're a gram weenie (which I do not mean as a pejorative, being an ultralighter myself)).

Barbarian Prince
Astra Titanus or Any of the "States of Siege" games from VPG.
Star Realms(with a solo mission)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bak
United Kingdom
Alfreton
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
WOW! Thanks so much, guys - so many suggestions. I may need to delay my holiday in order to investigate all these and extend it to a month in order to play them! :-)

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooooooo, I don't actually have a contribution, but wanted to mention that I am insanely jealous. Sounds like an awesome time. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy plus its first expansion Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm has a solo variant that is really good. The cards will fit in an ultro pro deck box. You don't need the victory point chips. The pieces needed for the solo player can be put in a baggie. I would scan a copy of the solo player mat to take with you so you can fold it up and not worry about it. The replayablity is huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Star Realms

Friday works well too, you can get rid of the boards and maybe use a 20-sided die for health to save some space. That will bring it down to just a deck of awkwardly thin cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fellow ultralighter here - I have not brought games with me solo yet, since I rarely ever stop until after dusk, but I have considered some. I'm really not willing to bring anything that might get damaged or weighs more than an ounce, so I've focused on laminated card/dry-erase marker only games, perhaps with some dice.

I think my best choice for me personally is Racetrack. I really enjoy racing games. You just need a small sheet of laminated graph paper and a dry-erase marker. Draw a course and try to complete it in the fewest turns.

A 2nd one I've been thinking about is solo Qwixx (1 laminated score sheet, marker, 6 dice). Standard rules, just you have to take a number every turn, either the 2 white or white+color (since every turn is your turn), so greater risk of taking a -5 if you can't take anything. Try to get the best score.

My 3rd one is Roll through the Ages (with Late Bronze Age expansion), but chucking the peg board. Make a double-sided laminated sheet, one side the score sheet, the other side a version of the peg board, along with marker and the 7 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Space Hulk Death Angel

+1 Friday

Also, throw Harbour into the mix. There are a couple of solo-play variants (one in the box), and has quite a bit of replay value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-1 for Star Realms
+1 for Onirim, Death Angel & RFTG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Perfect size for travelling with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp

Dawn of the Zeds (First edition)

Friday

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Zombie in my Pocket

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb

Harbor looks pretty good, both with solo variant and for when you are backpacking with others. I generally prefer multiplayer games that play solo over solo-only games.

Still for strictly solo trips, I think a small laminated piece of orange graph paper on one side for Racetrack and a Qwixx score sheet on the other side, with 6 tiny dice and a tiny dry-erase marker is still my top choice, since it is 2 games in one and serves double duty for emergency notes. And I don't need any floor space, which I seriously lack in my bivy. I am most in need of a game at dusk when the moskies are crazy and I just need to hunker down under netting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.