GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,211 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Lazax mods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Drake
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, all.

My group and I have been trying out a modified version of the Lazax for standard gameplay, and thought I'd share it here for thoughts.

We use most (not all) 'official' optional components of the game & expansions, excepting artifacts, and we leave out the 'Game Over' and'Instant Win' stage 2 objectives. We include FINS, and a few other 'unofficial' varians. There are a few other house rules as well, though I can't recall any that would be particularly relevant at the moment beyond those listed below.

Special house rules when the Lazax are in the game:
- Use the Hope's End planet as the center tile (or any other specific system you feel like using). All objectives, political/action cards, Custodians of Mecatol Rex, and other game elements which refer to Mecatol Rex by name (except those which refer to Mecatol Rex as the Lazax homesystem) are considered to reference Hope's End instead.
-Starting units may be placed in the home system without regard to Fleet Supply. No production or other placement of ships can occur in the 'overburdened' system until fleet supply is available either through increased supply OR movement out of the system. Any remaining ships in excess of fleet supply at the end of the first round must be scuttled.

The Lazax special abilities are modified to read:

-You start the game with one extra Command Counter in your Strategy Allocation area.
-When executing the primary ability of the Political or Assembly Strategy Card, choose an outcome and resolve all political cards with no Representatives or voting.
-When another player executes the primary ability of the Political or Assembly Strategy Card, you recieve -5 votes when voting.

Note that Lazax starting units and techs are not modified. The Lazax do NOT mantain their 'start in adjacent systems' ability, but see the special rule about starting units and fleet supply.

The Lazax use ONLY one representative, and he is always played revealed (since there's only the one, it's not like he's a secret anyways.)

Representative:

(Ruling: 'cannot be targetted' includes Action Cards. No spies, no action cards, etc.)

The Lazax flagship:

(Ruling: You have to actually have the plastic to do this, so this automatically precludes targeting an enemy flagship. We've also ruled that warsuns cannot be targeted, but the card text does not yet reflect this. The theory is that facing the emperor's personal flagship strikes the figurative 'fear of God' into an enemy ship and they abandon their rebel ways.)

The Lazax have no racial techs or leaders (all other races should use these).

So far, what we've found doing this is that the Lazax start out extremely strong, but tend to fall apart about halfway through the game, and the Lazax player has to work to keep up. This seems both thematically appropriate as well as (relatively) balanced. They also tend to be early targets; again, thematically appropriate and relatively balanced. Note that we have only ever tried this out with the Assembly strategy card. Though I suppose it could work out just fine with Political as well, we've never actually tried that.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds very interesting - I think the flagship is very thematic. We've played the Lazax scenario a few times, but I don't think we'd play it again.

We regularly play the political variation where each player has a face-up PC in an 'Agenda' area, and the person the Assembly card holder chooses gets to pick 2 or more PCs to vote on. With Lazax' ability, does that mean they'd constantly be giving Speaker away to get to pick laws and choose the outcomes?

I'll see if I can get my group to include Lazax in our regular game as well. We like playing with racial techs and leaders, so I'd need to come up with racial techs, and borrow another race's leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with 3 reps, and Racial Tech along with leaders for them.

General
Admiral
Agent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the effort, but to be honest, I like the OP's flagship and councillor more. I think the idea that an opponent's ship switches sides is thematic, and the single councillor goes with the main advantage of Lazax.

I haven't heard of the Elder Aids and Alliances. I tried doing a search in the forums for them, but couldn't find anything. Is there a link to info on these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had these going for a while now. Made them up shortly after Shards came out.

My mods are in my mediafire account which is linked to in my profile.

I do a major amount of varianting with my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
brettellmd wrote:
With Lazax' ability, does that mean they'd constantly be giving Speaker away to get to pick laws and choose the outcomes?

That's what we've noticed, yeah. We don't use the Twilight Council variant, since we rather like the uncertainty of what political cards will actually be thrown out there, but yeah, typically the Lazax player will give away the speaker token in order to be able to decree one of their own agendas. Alternatively, if they have nothing they care about in hand (or on the table), they'll offer to make a decree on someone else's, in exchange for some trade goods.

tawnos76 wrote:
My mods are in my mediafire account which is linked to in my profile.

I should note that our group has pulled a lot of our material and ideas from your stuff, so yeah, I should probably actually thank you for having all that stuff posted!

We have intentionally left out the Leaders and Racial Techs for the Lazax, as we were concerned about balance issues. The Lazax already have a significant number of staring techs, so although they haven't got any unique techs, they do have a bit of an edge anyways. We did give the Lazax the Winnu Leaders at one point (made the most sense), and that didn't seem too bad, but it was just a one-game thing, so I couldn't tell you how much it affects the balance either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
How many games have been played with this Lazax mod?

Sounds very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alwin wrote:
How many games have been played with this Lazax mod?

Six or seven is all so far, but the play seemed relatively consistent from game to game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok

I'll make the cards and propose it to our TI3 group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alwin wrote:
Ok

I'll make the cards and propose it to our TI3 group.

Let me know how it goes; I'm interested to hear how it works for a different group of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
AgentDrake wrote:
Let me know how it goes; I'm interested to hear how it works for a different group of players.

Sure, will do.
We play 2 to 3 games of TI3 in a year so it will take a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.