Subject: lightish large-group game needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Scholtz
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm looking for another game to play w/ my wife's family.

So far their favorite, far and away, is Bang. The aspects that go over well: the humor, the deep genre atmosphere, the potential for back-stabbing and taunting, the secrecy, the relatively quick pace. So basically we going for fun here. I'm willing to sit through it because it's fun for gamers too, and because it's got just enough substance to it to not bore more to tears.

I need more like this. Preferrably with some substance, but no more meaty than Bang. Needs to play many players. Could be shorter and less fiddly than Bang (they always get confused about the difference between Mustang/Appaloosa and steal/discard). Party games are fine, but nothing too silly (for my sake).

I don't think Werewolf would go over too well. Too intense, group needs something on the table to distract from just staring at each other.

Ones I'm considering: Apples to Apples (sounds good), Diamant (sounds like too much luck?), ??. Another thread recommended Saboteur but that sounds a lot like Bang. I have Bohnanza and might try that but it can be long and I think they might get bored.

From the sound of it I think they'd like Guillotine but you can only play with 5.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Siwanowicz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Dalmuti is a great fun with many players. It has become a favorite with the high schoolers in the board game club I advised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rendon
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits and Wagers is fun. Category 5 (or 6 Nimmt) is good.

And Saboteur is great and has a very different vibe than Bang!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sparky wrote:
Ones I'm considering: Apples to Apples (sounds good)

I've found that Apples to Apples kind of falls apart with too many people. 5 is about the best number. Any more than that and it gets chaotic and not much of a game anymore. Just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players are you expecting?

I agree with several games others mentioned:
Wits and Wagers
The Great Dalmuti
6 Nimmt!

Also consider:
No Thanks!
Once Upon a Time
Celebrites

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schuller
United States
Hillsborough
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thought that came to mind....until I read it was for Wife and her family....was Nuclear War.

I have played in groups as large as 14! Yes, the expansions were there, but it certainly held up. It does suffer from continuing as players get knocked out.

Another thought which might better fit your crowd is Chronology. Borders on Party game and although some complain about luck of the draw making some cards easier to place....hey, it is a game! You dont need to win to have a good time.

If you are looking for a party game that went over very big. Especially with a crowd that might be a 'little' older - Claim To Fame. My wife and I used to play it a lot. I have it for trade because we have been through the cards too many times and have played it with all of our friends. It is in great shape and would gladly trade it to you for something that I would play or try.

Also, although I dont particularly care for it - The Great Dalmuti has gone over big with my kids and inlaws

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CITADELS

Takes upto 8 players.
The most universally popular game I own.
Extremely successful as a bridging game.
The only good bridging game that gamers in my group like to play regularly.
Simple to learn.
Backstabbing involved but it is mostly blind so it doesn't cause fights.
Secrecy Check.
Complexity of decisions is on par with Bang!

Pace depends on the players and is the only potential problem. It is easily solved after the first game by giving x seconds to chose a role card. I always finished 7 player games in less than an hour at school.

No player elimination means that noone is waiting for a long time while the rest of the players finish the game as can happen with Bang!

As for party games Apples to Apples is very funny and fun with the right crowd but it isn't much for mental stimulation really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody who we have introduced Apples to Apples to has enjoyed it and we never play with less than 6 or 7. We only pull it out when we need a party game. Several people have gone on to buy it. But it doesn't really have any "meat", just the fun of peoples wacky associations.

Believe it or not Cranium is also fun and changes focus enough to keep people from being bored.

The bean game is fun, it might work better than you think, but that would depend on personalities.

Diament is more than luck, it has a very "Can't Stop" combined with "guts" poker kind of stratgey. Being really gutsy can win or lose you the game in a big way, but reading your opponets and pulling out at the right moments can win just as well.

TransAmerica and Ivanhoe have gone over well with our more "light gaming" friends. But I don't remember the player limits on those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But Ivanhoe is OOP isn't it? I want it so if you know how to get it let me know please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Scholtz
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! This helps a lot.

I have played Citadels, and liked it plenty, but didn't remember that it went up to 8. I think there's a copy around here I can borrow and try it out with these guys.

As for the others, 6 nimmt sounds like it might be good, seems more interesting from a distance than Dalmuti. I'm not so much for trivia myself, so will avoid Wit and Wagers. Nuclear War is OK (used to play it as a teenager) but even then I didn't like it that much.

I can't stand Cranium, if that helps anyone. I'd rather play a good round of charades anyday than that or something like Pictionary. But I'm hoping to end up with something that's a little less party than that.

There definitely seem to be different opinions of Apples to Apples, but it's cheap enough that I figure why not try it? (Cheap is good for this thread.)

If there are more ideas out there, keep 'em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NickBottom wrote:
And Saboteur is great and has a very different vibe than Bang!

I second the suggestion to consider Saboteur. It seems to have all the elements you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original maximum players is 7. However, unless you got a very early edition there are extra optional characters including two with number 9. Thus 8 players can play and choose from 9 character cards numbered 1 to 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found 6Nimmt and Pickomino to go over well with large groups. 6Nimmt is great because it plays up to 10 people. And there are lots of variations, so you can try other things once in a while.

We did play Guillotine with 6 last week, and it went ok.

Deborah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillotine only takes 5 players.
Saboteur in my opinion is very lame because the winner is basicly set up by the player on their right. The traitor is usually pretty obvious too. Diamant is better than saboteur but doesn't have the traitor. I don't think Saboteur scales up to 8 players but I'm not sure. Diamant officially goes to something like 6 players but I played recently with 11 and it worked just fine.
6 Nimmt isn't bad but has little theme or atmosphere-a bit of tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sparky wrote:

I have played Citadels, and liked it plenty, but didn't remember that it went up to 8. I think there's a copy around here I can borrow and try it out with these guys.

I think that would definitely be worth a shot. plus since you already have it it is cheaper than cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels can play up to 8, but I don't recommend more than 6 (7 at a push). Don't discount Werewolf. It's much more fun than it sounds, and it's also quick so if you don't like it you haven't wasted much time.
Robo Rally plays 8 and is better with more players.
I'd second Saboteur.
Frank's Zoo plays 7 and is simple.
Bohnanza (the bean game) plays 7.

How about Pictionary or Masquerade type games? Team games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werewolf is free, and families seem to like it.

Also, I second Citadels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.