GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,978 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Incredible Expeditions: Quest for Atlantis» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Solo Game - The Baroness Seeks R'lyeh rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Darlage
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Set up a solo game per the rules. I chose Baroness Alexandra The Huntress as my Expedition Leader. I chose R'lyeh as the destination. Minds Were Broken was my randomly chosen Consequence. I am starting with three Rest tokens. I'm typing this as I play, so right now I don't know if this will be a winning or losing game.

Turn 1: Gathering a Crew in Port City
The Baroness, along with her Gentleman's Gentleman, arrived in Port City to outfit the Arctic Orchid with a Crew so she could seek out lost R'lyeh. Using her Marks of Credit, she was quickly able to convince a mad Musician to come aboard. She was also able to get a Navigator.The Navigator and the Gentleman's Gentleman wore themselves out to bring a Shaman Clergy aboard. The Musician, with a little Skullduggery, managed to dig up a Graverobber Archaeologist for the journey.

Turn 2: The Ice Caves
The Baroness was eager to start, and they traveled to the Ice Caves. The Gentleman's Gentleman was nearly frozen solid, but some Heroism on the part of the Baroness saved him from such a cold-hearted fate. However, the cold frosted over one of the cabins on the ship, becoming unusable, and causing Cramped Quarters. This moved the Peril Track to 2. Fortunately, the Baroness did not have a full Crew, so she didn't lose anyone. Unfortunately, while this was being investigated, the Descendants of Profane Gods attacked the Arctic Orchid! The Shaman Clergy sacrificed herself to save the ship and defeat the horror. Unfortunately, there was no Key in this frozen hell.

Turn 3: The Rivers of Life
The Baroness moved the Arctic Orchid into another Location: The Rivers of Life. The Shaman Clergy was restored to life! Unfortunately, we knew Ravenous Creatures were prepared to stop us if possible, moving the Peril Track to four. Out of the Rivers came the Crawling Chaos. The Shaman Clergy, afraid she was actually a zombie, again sacrificed herself for the ship. Angry at being killed twice, realizing in her undeath that a true resurrection had happened, unleashed the Phantoms of the Lost. The Crew completely exhausted itself, and some bribes had to be paid, but the Phantoms of the Lost were put to rest. Again, there was no Key here.

Turn 4: The Baroness Orders a Rest
The Crew of the Arctic Orchid was tired, so the Baroness ordered a Rest. She acquired a Treasurer of Kings, who was visiting the Rivers of Life. She also acquired two more Strange Tinctures and some Gold Bullion, but had to spend all of her Money to get them. The Crew was refreshed, and the Baroness gathered new Resources to hand.

Turn 5: The Mouth of Hell
The Arctic Orchid moved into the Mouth of Hell. The Price of Heroism weighed heavily upon the Baroness, moving the Peril Track to seven. Ominous Waters surrounded the Mouth of Hell, which exhausted the Graverobber Archaeologist. Getting through the waters exhausted the Crew, except for the Treasurer of Kings, and the Navigator was doubly exhausted, requiring a Strange Tincture to get through the encounter. A Key was present! The Baroness sacrificed a Mark of Credit while drawing more Resources from the hold. Also, with the first encounter having been Faced, the Price of Heroism was removed.

Turn 6: A Second Encounter at the Mouth of Hell
First, the Crew clawed their way back, reducing the Peril track to 6. With two Strange Tinctures now in hand, the Baroness refreshed her Gentleman's Gentleman and the Navigator and pressed on. We had an Unexpected Reunion, which would have brought the Shaman Clergy back on board, but the Cramped Quarters still plagued the ship. The Gentleman's Gentleman, along with the Navigator and some Supplies, defeated the encounter. The Baroness sacrificed another Mark of Credit, discarded four Marks of Credit as she drew them, which caused a reshuffle, and ended up with five Resources from the Hold - four more Marks of Credit and a Bribery card.

Turn 7: The Baroness Presses On Despite Exhaustion
Even though only the Treasurer of Kings was refreshed, the Baroness felt that with the Bribery in her hand, she might be able to defeat another encounter and gain a key - and then rest. Thus the Dreams of Discovery were taking over. Four marks of Credit, five Money tokens, and exhausting the Treasurer of Kings prepared the Crew. The Bribery transferred eleven temporary Money into Skullduggery, taking that score up to thirteen... victory over the Dreams of Discovery! Victory gave the Expedition Leader some foresight, and she was able to avoid an upcoming Hull Breach, discarding the encounter. She had her Key, now she was ready for her third Rest.

Turn 8: Resting Again at the Mouth of Hell
The Crew spent their third and last Rest token. They also Clawed their Way Back, setting the Peril Track down to 6. She opted to buy nothing on the market, and sacrificed a Mark of Credit, and drew three new Resources. With three Strange Tinctures now in hand, plus a Gold Bullion and a String of Coins, she felt secure in moving forward.

Turn 9: Venturing into the Last Unknown
The Arctic Orchid traveled into the Mirror Dimension, and Ruination was before them, moving the Peril Track to 8. They suddenly Faced the Society of the Deranged! Fortunately, none of the Crew was exhausted (none of them had matching Heroism and Skullduggery) from entering the Mirror Dimension, but facing the Society of the Deranged would have instantly exhausted the Treasurer of Kings and the Graverobber Archaeologist, and randomly possessed a Crew, but the Musician saved us. Playing the music of Erich Zann, which exhausted him, he kept the effect of the Society to a minimum. As he was the only exhausted Crew, the difficulty was set at three heroism, which switched to skullduggery because of the Mirror Dimension effect, and the Expedition Leader had two Skullduggery tokens, which raised the difficulty to five. The Treasurer of Kings worked things out with the Society and brought the difficulty down to 1, and the Expedition Leader spent one token to defeat the Encounter. Again a Key was revealed.

The Musician was refreshed with a Strange Tincture, and the Expedition Leader pressed on. They next Faced the Deep Ones. The Graverobber Archeologist felt the call of Cthulhu, but the Musician again came to the rescue and exhausted himself to keep the ship intact. Unfortunately, this group of Deep Ones were ravenous (the second Peril drawn), so someone was going to die no matter what. Exhausting the Crew (other than the Treasurer of Kings) and paying a Money token defeated them. However, one Crewman had to be sacrificed, and that was the exhausted Musician. The Key was gained! The Crew clawed their way back one more time, taking the Peril Counter back to 7. The Gentleman's Gentleman and the Archaeologist were refreshed. The Baroness drew new Resources, needing to shuffle her deck, and ended up with two more Tinctures, another String of Coins, Gold Bullion, and Supplies.

Turn 10: The Nightmare Corpse-City of R'lyeh
The Arctic Orchid moved into R'lyeh, a city built in measureless eons behind history by the vast, loathsome shapes that seeped down from the dark stars and where lay great Cthulhu and his hordes, hidden in green slimy vaults. The Crew was Helpless Before Danger, moving the Peril track to 8. The Crew had to pass through Impenetrable Mists, so the Baroness used a Strange Tincture to refresh the Navigator. The Crew had a problem. No Crew ability could be used. They sacrificed the Gentleman's Gentleman to free them from their helplessness. The Navigator and Archaologist, and five Money tokens from the Treasurer of Kings defeated the mists. However, the Navigator was already exhausted, so we had to face the second encounter immediately... and it was a Shoggoth. The Baroness did not have three Resources to feed to the creature, so it ate the Graverobber Archaeologist. Because it was a supernatural creature, the Navigator was Possessed by R'lyeh...

The Baroness used her Supplies to get Bribery, exhausted the Treasurer of Kings, refreshed the Treasurer of Kings and exhausted her again, paid a money token, played the Bribery card... and was defeated. The Consequence gave the last uncursed member of the Crew the Curse of Possession... and with no more resources, no more Rest tokens, and an insane Crew both chanting "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" repeatedly, the Arctic Orchid was lost - and the Baroness Alexandra paid dearly for her doomed expedition, losing her soul in a region loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours. Defeat.

Conclusion
I think this was my first loss that I've recorded in a Session Report. it was unfortunate that I didn't find a Captain for the Crew - those pair nicely with the Gentleman's Gentleman, but even then I had a largely successful voyage until the end. I had to use more Rest tokens than usual. Having a supernatural being show up at the end was unfortunate, taking half my remaining Crew and making them work against me... I could have won but for that.

This game is a challenge, and that's what I love about it! If I won every time, it wouldn't be so much fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
devil

Finally a lost. It was a great run.
You are right on one thing.
Its all about the challenge.
I`m sure you will start a new winning steak.

THE FABULOUS FREEBIRD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Darlage
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cramped Quarters peril did me more damage than I thought it would, actually. I could never get six crew, and even just one more crew member could have saved me. Those Peril cards are perilous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Very enjoyable read, Vincent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.