jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I last heard a few tidbits form Rick Thornquist, but there has not been anything else said about the mystery reprint. Anyone know anything more about it ?

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/C50/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Re: anyone heard anything more about the Avalon Hill Reprint
Since the AH imprint appears to have been reduced to just Axis & Allies games, I suspect the reprint will not be happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that what they're re-doing is something called "Business Fumbling and Mismanagement".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crackedlcd81 wrote:
I think that what they're re-doing is something called "Business Fumbling and Mismanagement".

Is that like a reverse area control game?

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the initial comments on Axis & Allies: Bulge, it looks like it is a reprint of The Battle of the Bulge with A&A style components (minis and poker chips instead of counters.)

Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

So they are going to be reprinting Global Survival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want my GeekGold back! Some time ago, someone had a thread and took 'bets' on guessing what the reprinted game would be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
In Hasbro's defence they have actually done something right recently. They're taking Rocketville, Sword & Skull, Monsters Menace America and a few other of their recent disasters and discontinuing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
mrbeankc wrote:
In Hasbro's defence they have actually done something right recently. They're taking Rocketville, Sword & Skull, Monsters Menace America and a few other of their recent disasters and discontinuing destroying them.

Hey, I fixed your post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
In Hasbro's defence they have actually done something right recently. They're taking Rocketville, Sword & Skull, Monsters Menace America and a few other of their recent disasters and discontinuing them.

I liked some of their titles like Nexus Ops, Betrayal, and yes..MMA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you're not referring specifically to Hasbro, GMT has announce the reprint of Richard Berg's Blackbeard which was published by AH. It's going to be revamped/streamlined to play faster and be more interactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Well if you're not referring specifically to Hasbro, GMT has announce the reprint of Richard Berg's Blackbeard which was published by AH. It's going to be revamped/streamlined to play faster and be more interactive.

Does anyone know if the rights reverted to Richard Berg or if GMT was able to negotiate reprint rights from AH/WOTC/Hasbro?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mentis wrote:
Walt Mulder wrote:

Does anyone know if the rights reverted to Richard Berg or if GMT was able to negotiate reprint rights from AH/WOTC/Hasbro?

Richard himself would know; post a forum listing in Blackbeard (the new one) and ask him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
crackedlcd81 wrote:

They're doing something right.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=HAS&t=5y

Short term, 1000000 kinds of monopoly is good for a board game company. Long term, Hasbro's board game division is going to hurt for it. Hasbro is big enough to simply reallocate its resources if the board game market dries up, but we could certainly argue about whether or not their handling of the AH line is a smart business practice. Stock being up in the short term has very little to do with the long term outlook for their company.

Then again, maybe the demand for type of monopoly #1000001 is only going to grow and I'm totally wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that Berg owns the rights to most if not all of his older Avalon Hill titles. Besides Blackbeard don't forget GMT is also republishing Berg's Successors III which is also an update of a classic Avalon Hill title i.e. Successors. Lewis Pulsipher was another designer who retained his rights. In his case Britannia, recently reprinted by Fantasy Flight (and a fantastic job they did).

Not every designer was so fortunate. Mark Herman has never been able to wrestle back his game 'We The People' from Hasbro.

mentis wrote:
Walt Mulder wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kenfeldman wrote:
From the initial comments on Axis & Allies: Bulge, it looks like it is a reprint of The Battle of the Bulge with A&A style components (minis and poker chips instead of counters.)

Ken

I thought the same - BotB packed into the succesful Axis & Allies form. So I wait for Hannibal & Allies: Carthage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the "reprint", i.e. Washington's War, is going to have "changes". cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
And the "reprint", i.e. Washington's War, is going to have "changes". cry

It's going to be a different game, as has been stated in other forum entries.

I, myself, am looking forward to finding out how it will work. Then again, I like the AWoI as subject matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re the original question, my take is that Hasbro considers "Battle of the Bulge" (A&A/Larry Harris version) to be the item referred to earlier as an "old AH" title.

From their point of view, compared to the new (and already discontinued) line of Rocketville, etc., the publication of such a title probably does look like a step in the direction of "old AH" games: it's a wargame, it has hexes, and it's about the Battle of the Bulge.

From asking a question and reading various tidbits on Larry Harris' site, it sounds like Hasbro may have bought the rights to the Guadalcanal game he talked about in his BGG interview at the beginning of the year. It is possible that we will see a neo-traditional hex wargame (with plastic bits, of course, the Hasbro treatment) about once per year at this time according to Hasbro's plan.

Larry H. politely said that he "couldn't comment," but also said something along the line of "keep hoping." Most likely he's contractually obligated not to divulge, but when a title he's been very high on disappears from the publication intentions of one company, and a poster says he asked that company's rep about it and the rep said Big H made LH an offer he couldn't refuse, that seems like a plausible reason for hope that the Guadalcanal air/land/sea game might indeed appear.

The preceding might be the worst sentence I've written in thirty years.

My philosophy is this: Hasbro has bigger fish to fry than the specialized adult game market, and their bottom line doesn't seem to be significantly affected by AH/H sales one way or the other (though it's telling that they've punched out so fast on the "square box" line). The A&A series, plus Shogun/Samurai Swords, seem to have been their best performers, and perhaps they're content to keep their hand in at a reduced level. If they bring out one playable, tested game with nice bits on an interesting subject by a proven designer each year, that's still one more worthwhile game than I'd have if they pulled the plug altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and btw in the interests of full disclosure, while I don't bet, my "reprint guess" was "Wizard's Quest." Wrong again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.