Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb

This card allows the owner to place two attack cubes into the action area of other players. Does this have to be the same player, or can it be two different players?

The attack marker forces a sand timer to be used there to "clear" the attack cube. What happens if there is already a sand timer running on this card when the cube is placed? Can the cube be placed in this case? If yes, does the sand timer that is already running clear the damage for the placed cube?

Thanks for any assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we've been playing is to use the advanced rules, but:

- take the four "sabotage" tech cards out of the game
- play without the "neutral" planets
- just add up all the scores at the end, instead of messing with the track.

That solves the problems with ambiguity around the "sabotage" cards

The other problem with the sabotage cards is that they seem to be overwhelmingly a "whack the leader" thing rather than being generally tactically useful. Which is fine, but keeping the scoring track accurate is a royal pain, and people who aren't as diligent about keeping their score up-to-date can keep the target off their forehead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris - I'll take your advice on the VP marker.

The sabotage cards do take a timer to activate them, so there is a trade off, isn't there? You're spending your timer to whack others.

There seems to be a chunk or to in the German rulebook that didn't make it into the English book...

Right after the two sabotage card descriptions there is a bolded paragraph (auto translations):

When building the sabotage probe and interstellar rocket note that they lie within a players action area, and the demand lies with the demand area. In addition they must border with at least one edge of any other card.

There is also a bit at the end of 3.24 that doesn't make sense to me...

No more necessary goods cannot be put back if necessary into the supply.

Lastly, an extra bullet in the back page Basic Rules summary...

Utilize sand timer that have completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
The sabotage cards do take a timer to activate them, so there is a trade off, isn't there? You're spending your timer to whack others.

That's true, but my problem anyway is just the impossibility of figuring out who is ahead and appropriate to whack, due to the difficulty of maintaining the scoring track. The "timer" sabotage card seems useful in that you could sabotage another player's trade ship who is going for the same demand marker that you are (although that's a pretty minor application considering what else you could be building), but the "card" sabotage seems like a pure "get him - he's winning" thing. But you can't really tell who's winning, because it's so easy to make errors in tracking points, which makes it a bit of a shot in the dark.

Anyway. Once we've gotten a few more plays in, I'm planning to pull the sabotage cards back in and see how it goes, but I'm not convinced they're useful. In my opinion you really need the rest of the "advanced" cards (extra timer, extra ship, etc.) to make the game interesting, but the sabotage cards add some problems without seeming to add much interest to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gurutej Khalsa
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
There seems to be a chunk or to in the German rulebook that didn't make it into the English book...

There is [a bit] at the end of 3.24 that doesn't make sense to me...

No more necessary goods cannot be put back if necessary into the supply.

This says something like:

Any goods that you no longer need may be simply returned to the stock.

This is basically to let you know that you can jettison cargo anytime you like in order to jump quickly to a distant planet. Typically I saw this used to return home from a distant planet when a player's cargo could not be used efficiently (mis-loaded or another player already filled an anticipated target).

Quote:
Lastly, an extra bullet in the back page Basic Rules summary...

Utilize sand timer that have completed.

This is the reminder that you can let a sand time run out and then not move it and not use the action. You can "save" the action for later at the cost of not using the expired timer. e.g. You have produced something but have no place to store it or you have run a transformer but have nothing to transform. In those cases you can leave the timer on the card and then do the action at some later point. Of course you can also forego the action and use the timer immediately somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Gurutej, thanks for that last clarification (re: "Utilize sand timer that have completed").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfarrell wrote:
That's true, but my problem anyway is just the impossibility of figuring out who is ahead and appropriate to whack, due to the difficulty of maintaining the scoring track.

If maintaining the scoring track were the only way for people to get their victory points (i.e., if you didn't let people mess with it after the game) I bet you'd find that maintining it suddenly gets a lot less difficult.

Given that so many of your scoring decisions in this game involve also giving points to some other player, it doesn't really seem like you're playing the same game without the scoring track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP's original question about the sabotage cards (can you send two cubes at two different players or does it have to be the same player) never got answered. Anyone know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.