GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,724 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » General

Subject: The Eldar figures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Just noting one little oddity: the Eldar titans are clearly based very, very closely on Jes Goodwin's now ancient titan sculpts (so closely that I suspect the use of a pantograph...), which GW dumped almost 20 years ago in favour of a new look for the Eldar (sharp shapes, scales, and studs, as can be seen with the large ship model).

Anyone know why this figure was chosen? It is rather out of place with the rest of the figures, which are all much more modern (post 1997). Although now I look closer, the Chaos titans have a certain Adeptus Titanicus look...

Not complaining at all (I hate the revised Eldar look), just wondering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perhaps they do not want the figures used as stand ins in the epic version of the game (whatever it is called these days.)

something similar happened in Relic iirc. The pieces are all busts of characters because GW did not want them to have actual models

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
therealtheshader wrote:
perhaps they do not want the figures used as stand ins in the epic version of the game (whatever it is called these days.)

something similar happened in Relic iirc. The pieces are all busts of characters because GW did not want them to have actual models

Oh, I know that GW usually doesn't permit figures as close to their miniatures as these, but there's just no way to use these as substitutes (believe me, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the pics).

Although the Ork vehicles are exactly what battlewagons should always have been

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
I'll be curious to see (and plan on checking as soon as I get my game) how these figures stack up against the Eldar. I have Ork, Space Marine and Eldar Epic armies. And even though I've never played and probably never will, somehow I like the idea that I could use these pieces for that game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression there's a few really old GW fans at FFG, they probably picked the classic "old school" Eldar titan - as like some of us, they have really fond memories of a very great model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard D
Canada
Bonnyville
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the old school look of the Titan miniatures in F.S. ... looking forward to also being able to use them to play "mini" miniatures whistle titan vs. titan battles using the great rule set that was published in the GW Epic Firepower magazine several years back!
They included rules covering Imperial, Eldar, Ork and Chaos Titans IIRC cool From the looks of it there'll be Warlords, Reavers, Phantoms and Gargants to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carlton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The old eldar titan miniatures were awesome, I have very fond memories of them.

The new ones don't look 'big' enough... they just look like scaled up aspect warriors, not massive machines dozens of stories high. weighing thousands of tonnes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The originals were basically the best. The 'newer' sculpts essentially defied every aspect of grace and elegance the Eldar are supposed to have.

Jes Goodwin really defined the Eldar - always loved his sketches and he always did a great job making them come to life.

@krimsonstarr - I sure wish they'd bring Space Marine/Epic/Epic 40k back. [looks longingly at his Eldar, SM, Chaos and Ork armies doing nothing].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
heretic_dave wrote:
The originals were basically the best. The 'newer' sculpts essentially defied every aspect of grace and elegance the Eldar are supposed to have.

Jes Goodwin really defined the Eldar - always loved his sketches and he always did a great job making them come to life.

@krimsonstarr - I sure wish they'd bring Space Marine/Epic/Epic 40k back. [looks longingly at his Eldar, SM, Chaos and Ork armies doing nothing].

You've got the rules, yes? You have at least four armies. So what's keeping you from playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opponents Unless you wanted to pop over Friday for a game?

I'm an Eldar guy but I bought the other armies to get folks interested in the game. I had some bites here and there but its tough when new folks can't get into it themselves as there's zero support and ebay etc your option for miniatures.

I could go with some of the new systems like Dropzone Commander etc but to bring it slightly back on topic - I like the 40k universe and love playing the games in it, I grew up on Space Marine so, soft place, heart and all that. So to your point a lot of the early models are iconic and certainly for me so many of those are the Eldar ones.

I'm glad they picked some for this game - I'm looking forward to seeing some additional reviews etc as my interest is high.

[Tries not to look at his BFG fleets]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.