Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Fernandez
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello you all.
I've posted some images with deployment strategies for the basic fellowship characters. I'd like you to comment them and to give your suggestions.
Let's see them...

Strategy #1
A conservative strategy, with Pippin in the front line to use his exploring skill, Gandalf waiting for a train crash, Frodo and Sam in the backwards, and Boromir in a mid position.

Strategy #2
Merry and Boromir swapped places, Aragorn in the front line to add a lot more power. Pippin still on the front to be able to explore Sauron's advanced piece, and Gimli to the rear, reacting to orcs' movements.

Strategy #3
Boromir advances to the first line, as a "kamikaze bomb" -surely against the Balrog-. Gandalf and Merry in the Shire to react to the best pieces of the opponent.

Strategy #4
With this configuration, Sam can move ahead with Frodo, and then there would be a 5-strength barrier in the center. Frodo can retreat sideways and then Aragorn can get into action. Gandalf, Merry, Gimly and Legolas all have spaces to maneouver forwards.

What do you think? I know these strategies can get much more better. For example, Octavian already has proposed to change Legolas for Frodo in configuration #1 to kill instantly the flying Nazgûl in case it attacked the hobbit.

What is best? Gandalf in first line, or to the rear and so be able to react? Is there a better place for Pippin than the front line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Nordberg
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
I always start with Legolas in the rear to defend against any early or midgame Nazgul attacks.

But I must say I'm impressed by the bold idea of putting Frodo front and center! I'm going to try that soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools

In my experience, the key is not where you play individual characters, but how you distribute the "weight" of your characters. Concentrating your strongest characters one one side or the other, or in the center, is more viable because you can never count on any individual character surviving to their best use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the games tonight I ended up starting all three with Gandalf on the front line. In two of the games this resulted in me trading Retreat and Magic for the Sauron players two highest strength cards, and then trading Gandalf himself in the next fight vs. either Shelob or the Balrog, using Elven Cloak in that fight if the Sauron player decided to retrieve his 6 strength card with his Magic. I was relatively content with this when it happened, but on reflection I think I prefer having Gandalf in the middle or to the rear. I think this would not only allow me to conserve my retreats for better times but also allow me to keep Gandalf as a hidden threat until later in the game.

I always keep Pippin out front not only because he's a great scout but also because he's by far the most expendable Fellowship piece.

I generally keep Boromir in the middle row or back in the Shire to start 'cus I don't want to risk exchanging him for the Black Rider in case the Sauron player decides to make an early scout thrust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacko Lantern
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only played a few times, always with the Fellowship, and both Sauron and I are still discovering how to get the most out of our pieces (for example, I suspect Sauron doesn't use the Flying N enough). So, like, what do I know? Still:

The strategy I've found works best is to start out slowly (so most characters get bunched up) and then take out as many enemy as possible once the fighting begins. I use Pippin to check out what's in the enemy front line, possibly using a noble sacrifice to take out anything big. Gandalf can usually go on a rampage to knock out a couple of smaller pieces, almost always ending with a noble sacrifice (if necessary a magic one) once something bigger attacks him. If all has gone well, this leaves Sauron with 5 characters. Boromir will surely take out one, and by luck or judgement an instant kill usually accounts for another. By this time I'm typically down to Frodo, Sam and one other but that's OK since it leaves enough space for Frodo to sneak home
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem with starting out with Pippin with the intent to Noble Sac right off the bat is that's exactly what the Sauron player should be expecting, and losing Noble Sac to the Eye on the very first turn of the game can really suck eggs. On the other hand, is it worth sacrificing Pippin to draw out the Eye? Could be.

I'm curious what people think of Aragorn. In most games I find myself losing him pretty quickly, but the ability to attack adjacent and move back toward your own end is hellacious if you can keep him alive long enough. Where do y'all like to start Aragorn typically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.