Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Carroll
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the optional character advantages rules, the Harkonnen captures an opposing leader when he wins a battle; one of his options is to keep this leader and use it as his own in a future battle, after which the leader is returned to the original owner, if the leader survives.

Thus, it can happen that a player is deprived of all leaders because some of his leaders are in the tanks, while others are captured by the Harkonnens.

According to the letter of the rules, that player may not yet revive his leaders in the tanks (except with the Ghola card)--the rules are explicit that leader revival may begin only once all of the player's leaders are in the tanks.

In a recent game, I was playing the Harkonnen. Four of the Emperor's leaders were in the tanks, and I had captured the fifth. I held on to that leader for a good many turns, depriving the Emperor of any leaders (except for the occasional Cheap Hero[ine]), and thus, the ability to play attack and defense cards in battle as well. To make matters worse (for the Emperor), I had held the Ghola card since early in the game and wasn't playing it.

Is this too powerful? Should there be a house rule that leader revival may begin once all of a player's leaders are in the tanks or captured? Or is it just a reasonable part of the Harkonnen's special abilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
yes you can revive once all your leaders are dead OR captured. I used to think the same thing though. Look at the wording i think it supports this.
Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Beijner
Sweden
-
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is from my 1979 (2nd ed?) rulebook Q&A part:

D.2 (Advanced game) Can players revive leaders of others have been captured by Harkonnen.
Answer- Yes. A player can begin to revive his leaders if he doesn't have any of his own leaders available to play in battle (this includes Harkonnen, too).

Personally I think this is clear, even if the clarification was used to answer an advanced game question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Carroll
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks. We didn't look at the Q&A when trying to figure that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.