Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there was ever a session to demonstrate the difference between night and day this was it. While Steve rolled one star on his first turn and three on the second, effectively putting all my forces in range of his artillery and roaming armour, I had to wait until my fifth turn before rolling a single star! The result is clear in the score: as the Japanese I failed to inflict many casualties before succumbing to superior numbers while as the Marines I was being overrun before daylight arrived.

Matthew: Japanese
Steve: US Marines

Despite the rapidly arriving daylight I quickly took forward Marines infantry units on both Left and Right flanks with the help of a Medics and Mechanics card after some good rolling from Steve on the Marines Left. Steve managed to retreat another infantry unit comprising just a single unit to the field hospital for recovery while inflicting a casualty of his own. Score 2-1. Most of the battle continued on the Marines Right, probably because that’s where Steve had cards, although I was forced to retreat from the hills on my Right as I came under artillery fire. As my own cards ran low I pursued Steve first with Infantry Assault then with Behind Enemy Lines with which I failed to eliminate the armour unit of just 2 figures despite using 5 dice! I finally tracked down an engineer to the beach and taking advantage of its inability to retreat eliminated the 2 remain figures from the cover of the jungle to get my third medal.

There was some action on the Marines left as Steve moved his armour up to the river perhaps because of lack of cards on the other flank. I responded with Firefight inflicting some damage on the advancing armour but failing to inflict any further casualties on the other flank. By now however I was in deep trouble. The score was 3-5 and I had an infantry unit with a single figure facing armour on the Marines’ Right. Steve makes up for his lack of Tactics cards by playing Artillery Bombardment although it takes all 6 4 rolls to finally seal the battle.

Score: 3-6

Matthew: US Marines
Steve: Japanese

I play the first few turns in darkness loosing 2 infantry units to Steve’s Japanese advance on my Right. I advance my armour to intercept but it is ineffective against infantry in jungle and I must retreat. However the single remaining figure is eliminated shortly afterwards by Barrage. I have no cards on the Right to counter the Japanese advance and my artillery in the Centre is still useless. I even need a Behind Enemy Lines to get the my Engineer unit to the Field Hospital. Score 1-4.

I have no Tactics cards to spread my orders so make my own advance on the Left occupying the hills with infantry and amour support. But Steve continues to advance on the othe flank eliminating one artillery unit and forcing another to retreat. But finally daylight begins to arrive and I counter the advance. Score 3-5.

I have threatened the PoW camp which Steve had occupied and inflicted one casualty. However time has run out so I use my artillery on the Right to eliminate one more unit for the sake of honour before Steve ends the battle inflicting a casualty in a brief counter attack with three infantry untits on the other flank.

Score: 4-6

Final Score: 7-12

I made some mistakes. During one attack as the Japanese I missed an opportunity to attack a single armour figure while as the Marines I rashly advanced my own only for it to be destroyed. When daylight finally arrived I didn’t counter Steve’s Japanese advance on the my Right fast enough concentrating instead on my own advance on the Left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
Looks like your math is a bit off. Depending on your notation, the scores were either 7-12 or 9-10.

Well spotted. I have a standard format for my reports and this was a cut&paste error which I have now corrected. Thanks for the commments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.