costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'm looking for a game for 2 players with a touch of war, not very long and language independent.
I have ROMA and i like it a lot, i'm about to receive a copy of Knizia's BATTLE LINE, but still i want to purchase one more game.
I've searched the BGG database and found some game's that could fit my criteria: MEMOIR '44 and JAMBO.
Could any one give me some clues...
Thnks,
luis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rendon
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Hellas fits most of your criteria. (I can't remember off hand if the cards have any/much text.) Hive, maybe?

j.

p.s. Jambo has no " touch of war" really. Though it is very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 is great. But beware - you'll probably end up buying all the expansions, the desert/snow board, and a sheet of clear acrylic... Jambo would be cheaper...

(Battle Line - a great choice - very cool game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberto999 wrote:
What's the sheet of acrylic for?

I'm so glad you asked that question

I used to play Memoir '44 naked (well, not me naked, the board was 'naked' - i.e. playing surface exposed directly to the air) but I quickly tired of readjusting cardboard hexes all the time. Moving tanks was the worst with the resulting tectonic movement wreaking havoc on the battle field. So I tried with a heavy sheet of plate glass to hold down the cardboard bits, and play with the plastic figures on top. This has been suggested here on BGG by quite a few people.

This greatly improved the game experience. Now I could move units simply by sliding them around, and the terrain remained perfectly stable. Wonderful. But there were three problems:

1. The piece of glass I had wasn't quite the right size and looked untidy.
2. The glass was thick enough to make the units look like they were floating in the air above the battlefield.
3. My wife wanted her glass coffee table put back together again.

The benefits outweighed the downsides but I knew I could do better. Getting a sheet of glass cut to measure was just too expensive though.

Then one day recently I investigated using a sheet of 3mm thick clear acrylic plastic instead of glass. I had it cut to the exact board dimensions. It only cost about NZ$20 (approx US $12), about a quarter of the cost of equivalent glass, and much much safer. Acrylic is actually 'clearer' than glass, stronger, and seems to have less reflectivity, so the experience is even better. Also, the refractive index of acrylic is much higher than glass so the pieces no longer look like they are floating - in fact they appear to be almost in direct contact with the cardboard underneath, even though they are really 3mm above it (notice how clear, still water looks shallower than it really is?).

The acrylic is also heavy enough to remain in place - not quite as solid as heavy glass, but it's steady enough. It generates a slight static charge which tends to make the cardboard hexes 'stick' to it, somewhat. Helps keep everything in place.

There are a couple of things to note - the coefficient of friction for acrylic is higher than glass, so the plastic figures don't slide around quite as nicely. However, they do slide. Acrylic is also easier to scratch, but the plastic figures are softer and so far so good.

In fact, I am so pleased with my acrylic screen I had one made for a friend. He agrees that it really enhances the game experience.

So that is what the sheet of acrylic is for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in New Zealand it's really hard to find anything useful unless you're a woman and enjoy shopping for clothes and shoes. However, there is a plastics distributor nearby who sells large (e.g. 1200x2400mm) sheets of all kinds of plastic, and they did a custom cut for me. It's not a hardware store as such - it's the national distributor and they operate out of a warehouse (NZ is a small country).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Siebel
Germany
Schwalbach
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
I'm looking for a game for 2 players with a touch of war, not very long and language independent.

As much as I like Memoir '44, I think it should still be mentioned that there is some english text to be read on the playing cards. Surely this can be helped by a translation sheet handed to each player, but nevertheless I would not exactly call it 'language independent'.

However, if some english text is not a problem, memoir '44 is a good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meowsqueak wrote:
Roberto999 wrote:
What's the sheet of acrylic for?

I used to play Memoir '44 naked (well, not me naked, the board was 'naked')

I am sure that the last time we played M44 you were oiled down and lacking in clothes. Well, that's how I remember it anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wharekumera wrote:
meowsqueak wrote:
I used to play Memoir '44 naked (well, not me naked, the board was 'naked')

I am sure that the last time we played M44 you were oiled down and lacking in clothes. Well, that's how I remember it anyway

Okaaaay.... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NickBottom wrote:
I think Hellas fits most of your criteria.

Hellas was the first game that came to mind for me - this is a fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dockter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon maybe? It shares elements with the old card game War, and since you enjoy Battleline you might enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.