GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Munchkin» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A Very Good Experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Cyr
msg tools
mb
I was introduced to this game earlier in this semester when I played with four others, only two of which had ever played before. In this first game I was immediately taken with it, I enjoyed immensely the extent to which it allowed for a variety of strategies and how much influence cards drawn by players influenced the game. From that first game I went on to introduce it to a handful of other friends of mine and have played many games since then. A major highlight from this that I feel reflects well on the game is that even with my greater experience I did not always win or do better than my less experienced friends. I feel this speaks well to the replay ability and entertainment of the game.
There is a very well-crafted balance of challenge, competition and reward. The feeling of obtaining that super powered weapon and being able to dominate the game kept me coming back for many more games throughout this semester. As a seasoned player of DnD and other role playing games I also found this interesting as a parody. I feel it again does a very good job of balancing its humor towards RPG’s and DnD, while also maintaining itself as a legitimate game. I found the equipment mechanics very interesting; the simplicity was very intuitive to me. It allowed for the elements of a role playing game, like class, race, and equipment to be used without the strenuous bits such as a player sheet or having to fill out all the details. It was an elegant solution to maintaining simplicity so as not to take away from the relaxed casual nature but also have pieces recognizable from the role playing scene. The rule book is also interesting as its tone seems to be treating the entire game as a joke. For things such as determining who goes first it tells players to determine it by their own means. In a way the tone of the rules is in line with the games name itself, Munchkin, as the game treats the players as children somewhat talking down to them to a degree. Outside of this the rule book does a thorough job of explaining the game to a player, although even with the rules it takes a couple turns for most players to fully click with how the game functions. It is certainly a very entertaining addition to the fantasy setting and sets itself a part in a very entertaining way from other games that fall into the category of fantasy and role playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wait 'til you try some of the other flavors. Especially Apocalypse...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.