GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is there any market? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malin Karlsson-Falk
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
Hi guys! ^-^

Some of you might have seen me over at the Mice and Mystic forums in my own thread there but I though that "Hey why not try and get some more going?"

So! I'm still kind of new to this who coloring figurine thing but I'm - If I might say so myself - is rapidly evolving with it.
I already have Mice and Mystics + the expansion packs on queue in the coloring department through a friend, and I'm also moving on with his Descent figurines where we are talking almost every expansion pack + the heroes(?) pack. Correct me if I'm wrong now!

And if I feel like I get really good at it, I'm thinking about doing it as some sort of extra income. Either buying games myself, color it and then sell it, or take in other people's games and coloring them. Or maybe both.

But what I'm wondering now is...

Is there some kind of market or interest in that sort of thing among you guys who play the games? Like is it possible for me to do it in the future?

And I'm so so so sorry if I put this in the wrong forum, but I thought that "general" was easier to put it in. c:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be the wrong forum I suspect.

I have no idea about games, but there is a market for painted miniatures. But be warned, you will have to be very good to compete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There surely is a market for painted games (if they are good looking) but I doubt that you really can make money with painting miniatures. If you enjoy the painting, you can make some money, but if you think of it as work, I doubt that anyone will pay anything close to minimum wage per hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malin Karlsson-Falk
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
@
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
: Yeah I'm sorry. Kinda new here ^^' And I do accept that the competition might be really tough.

Locu: Yeah no I wasn't really thinking like some kind of full time job, really. Just some extra cash you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't play games with miniatures, but I do work in the art field, so I'll say I think if you want to try this out, do it via people paying you to paint their pieces they already own, and do NOT pay for the game yourself with the idea of selling it later (unless you love painting so much that you don't mind paying for the game just to continue this hobby). It's hard enough for people to compensate artists as it is, without you having to put up a large investment beforehand (plus art supplies!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is actually a pretty big market for miniatures painting (thought really more for miniatures games than board games). Most of the artists work on commission and offer several levels of pricing depending on how detailed the buyer wants the miniatures to be. I had a buddy who did it for a while. And it is pretty competitive because you run into two issues: 1) many people would rather paint the minis themselves than pay a bunch of money; and 2) there are some artists who can do astonishing things with miniatures.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Being really good is not what you need to be (though you need to be good.)

You need to be really fast. Otherwise you're definitely not paying yourself very much for something that is going to be time intensive no matter what.

And I'll echo what other's have said: don't just paint stuff and expect it to sell, especially if you have to pay much for it. Just let your work speak for itself and get people to come for you.

With minis painting I assume it's a weird market, but I might be kind of biased since I got into minis games more for the painting than the gaming--I don't actually understand wanting someone to paint one for you!

But I've had some success altering magic cards as a hobby. I could make 10 ish bucks per card in trading or selling. But it takes me two+ hours to do a card so it's not really viable as a job (And I have considered it, lol.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Radcliffe
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's clearly a market, just look at games like Takenoko or any of the HeroClix range.

And you must be able to make money at it, look how cheap HeroClix are compared to the standard of finish (I know it's not perfect, but it's good enough for the price that's charged).

I think to make it pay you'd have to really be able to 'bulk' paint. Get a load of figures in, then paint 20-30 of the same model at a time, you'd not be able to take the time to do individual models cost-effectively imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure!

Post pics of your paintings of a game in its forum, and mention that you take commissions. I know someone's doing this for Cthulhu Wars, and Star Wars : Imperial Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmb
A general rule of thumb is that you should charge approximatly the cost of the game again i.e. a £50 game with minis should cost around £50 to paint professionally and you need to have a two week or less turn around time.

This is a hell of a lot more work that you think it is actually going to be and people will be very fussy about your painting standard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your production costs (i.e. your own time and materials) will probably make you too expensive to be viable as a business.

Pete (thinks there's no real money in it unless you find some way to automate it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
scifiantihero wrote:

And I'll echo what other's have said: don't just paint stuff and expect it to sell, especially if you have to pay much for it. Just let your work speak for itself and get people to come for you.

This. You can make some money at painting by commission, but it won't really be a "profit" by any means. Certainly not enough to justify buying whole games, painting them and trying to resell. If that were a viable market then you'd regularly see dozens of "pre-painted!" games on eBay, going for 2 or 3 times the retail price just because they're painted.

People like painted minis, sure, but they aren't willing to pay that much for it. Honestly, given that you had to open the box to get at the minis (therefore the game is now "used"), you'd be lucky to make back what you spent on it.

However, painting minis for other people's games by commission, yeah, that can work out for you. Talk to your FLGSes about maybe getting a couple of your minis on display there and you'll probably get a decent number of calls. Figure out reasonable pricing (probably by negotiation for the first few jobs, until you get a handle on what's reasonable) and go from there.

But again, like others have said, your time and labour will far outweigh what you're earning. Just make sure you're charging enough to cover the costs of paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.