GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,031 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Homeland: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Regarding Assets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

My only "complaint" about this game is that I think that the assets in the game aren't balanced in terms of the VP's they give in relation to the power/abilities they have...

There are many Assets with so-so abilities that are worth 1 or 2 points, some even 0!! and then we have super-powerful Assets like Carrie that has 2 excellent abilities and is also worth 3 VP's... this is not balanced at all...

To me the VP's the asset is worth should be in the inverse proportion to the usefulness/power of their abilities, so, the better the ability the lower the vp's you get for having it and I don't feel this is the case with the game...

Would love to hear what you guys think of this "complaint" I have!

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not noticed this. All of the low VP assets have really solid abilities (such as additional hand size) whereas ones like Brodie that have high VP and powerful abilities require you burn him to use it.

My memory could be a bit fuzzy on this as I haven't played in a couple weeks. Specific examples would help.

Also, don't forget some assets are more vulnerable to being stolen via other assets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that they are inversely proportional to their ability. Take the '0' example, you get to trade in an extra intel card for rep/klout. you make significantly progress towards your victory while having additional rep/klout to spend on resources than you would without him. I think 0 is well justified.

And any of the assets who give you a bonuses if you burn them are as much of a hindrance as a boon because they may help you more but you lose those points. I found them well-balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not refering to those that you have to burn like Brody, despite thinking that Brody being worth 5vps is lot... I think those kind of assets you need to burn should have higher VP...

I was thinking more in the lines of Saul that has 2 great abilities, when your recruit an asset also get an Agent and when you deploy an Agent get an Intel Card... These 2 abilities are awesome and he's worth 2 vps... He's way more useful than those that increase your hand size and that are worth 1 or 0 vps...

Carrie's powers are uber awesome, +1 to all your cases and when you deploy an Agent to any threat you get to see all the info (plot card and all Intel cards) and no random card is added and she's worth 3 vps!!! To she should give 0 vps

And the combo you get with Carrie and Saul is super-mega-hyper awesome... With 2 actions, recruting an asset and deploying an agent, the things you get out of those actions are worth way more than being able to do 4 or 5 actions... And you have 5 points there...

I'm not saying I'm right, but is the impression I have...

One of the players in my last game wasn't expecting much from the game, he liked it but said that the assets didn't look to be very well balanced... That was in accordance to my thought so I decided to post this here to see what was the feeling of the community
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy White
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I won my 4 player game this evening off the back of the 0 VP 'Prince' Asset card that give you +1 Hand Size and lets you trade in 2 cards for chits. It was my first Asset. That plus reasonably good Intel draws allowed me win easily. Before guessing the Traitor, I was 13 VP ahead of the other two loyal players.

Now it was my first asset, and my draws were good such that I was trading in for 3 or 4 Reputation chits every turn -- but it was dominant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
jeremywhite wrote:
I won my 4 player game this evening off the back of the 0 VP 'Prince' Asset card that give you +1 Hand Size and lets you trade in 2 cards for chits. It was my first Asset. That plus reasonably good Intel draws allowed me win easily. Before guessing the Traitor, I was 13 VP ahead of the other two loyal players.

Now it was my first asset, and my draws were good such that I was trading in for 3 or 4 Reputation chits every turn -- but it was dominant.

Winner of my first game was also the player who drew that same asset early. It let them gain assets & VP's faster than any other player.

Make that first and second games.
Price is possibly the best asset in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
I was not refering to those that you have to burn like Brody, despite thinking that Brody being worth 5vps is lot... I think those kind of assets you need to burn should have higher VP...

I was thinking more in the lines of Saul that has 2 great abilities, when your recruit an asset also get an Agent and when you deploy an Agent get an Intel Card... These 2 abilities are awesome and he's worth 2 vps... He's way more useful than those that increase your hand size and that are worth 1 or 0 vps...

Carrie's powers are uber awesome, +1 to all your cases and when you deploy an Agent to any threat you get to see all the info (plot card and all Intel cards) and no random card is added and she's worth 3 vps!!! To she should give 0 vps

And the combo you get with Carrie and Saul is super-mega-hyper awesome... With 2 actions, recruting an asset and deploying an agent, the things you get out of those actions are worth way more than being able to do 4 or 5 actions... And you have 5 points there...

I'm not saying I'm right, but is the impression I have...

One of the players in my last game wasn't expecting much from the game, he liked it but said that the assets didn't look to be very well balanced... That was in accordance to my thought so I decided to post this here to see what was the feeling of the community

Saul can be stolen with his wife, that needs to be taken into consideration if you choose to reveal him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Baldeck
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Remember that when you recruit an asset, you look at the top 2 cards of the asset deck and take one of them. We found this rule to be very helpful in our game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.