Popular Tags: [View All]
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just got Times Square to the table for the first time this evening. I had expected that she would enjoy the theme and the colorful components. However, I wasn't sure what either of us would think about the gameplay. A number of reviews had been less than enthusiastic, and listening to the game explained on various podcasts didn't help much either. I was afraid that the special movement rules for the various characters might be confusing enough to put us off. However, we purchased the game anyway on the strength of the designer and publisher.

A few minutes into reading the rules, my wife was giving me a look that suggested we wouldn't be playing this one too often. However, once I put the rulebook down and dealt the cards, everything changed. It only took a few turns before we were comfortable with the movement rules for each character. After the first game (which my wife won) we were eager to try it again. I felt that my downfall had been connected to the fact that I was trying to set up dramatic moves over the course of several turns. The problem with this type of strategy is that your opponent's move can often completely change the situation on the board, making the final step in your multi-step plan obsolete. My wife had taken the more direct approach and won easily. In the second game, I focused on trying to accomplish the most beneficial move possible each turn with the cards in my hand. While this seemed to work a bit better, I lost the second game as well. Ironically, she won on a combination move that she had set up on her previous turn. I ultimately prevailed in the third and final game of the evening. As with so many other good games, it seems that the best strategy is one of balance. Attention should certainly be given to the best possible move on any given turn. However, there are nice combination moves that can really shift the balance of the game if the timing is right.

We enjoyed this game quite a bit and are looking forward to playing it again. Only time will tell. For now, however, it certainly seems as though Times Square will join Lost Cities as one that will likely hit the table whenever we're in the mood for a short, fun, two-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.