Thumb up
1 Posts

Tragedy Looper» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Script - Today's News, Yesterday! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Custom Script - Today's News, Yesterday!

Earlier this week we played through a custom script by our regular mastermind, Max. It was a really tough game, a narrow win for the protagonists. The group was all experienced players and had one person taking detailed notes, and we still found it quite tricky going. A script for people who have a few games under their belt.

With the presence of a time-travelling journalist, I thought "Today's News, Yesterday!" would work as a title

Days: 7
Loops: 3

Main Plot: Change of Future
Subplots: Circle of Friends, Threads of Fate

Characters & Roles:
Informer: Cultist
Journalist: Time Traveler
Girl Student: Friend
Police Officer: Friend
Shrine Maiden: Conspiracy Theorist
Rich Man's Daughter: Person
Doctor: Person
Patient: Person
Henchman: Person
Alien: Person

Incidents & Culprits:
Day 2: Suicide (Girl Student)
Day 4: Spreading (Patient)
Day 6: Butterfly Incident (Henchman)
Day 7: Murder (Informer)

I'm not a very good mastermind, but a couple of thoughts on the script.

The Informer is vulnerable in Loop 1 - the protagonist are likely going to start trying to pile up Goodwill on her as her ability is pretty good early on. This would be bad for the MM, as the Informer would have to refuse the ability and out herself as the cultist.

I'm not sure what a good win condition to aim for on Loop 1 would be. In our game, we lost at the end of the last day, as we didn't have 3 Goodwill on the Journalist time traveler. That day end loss on the final day of the loop is a giveaway for Change of Future, it gives away the main plot very early. Maybe you could somehow try to get Butterfly Effect to trigger, if you can keep Goodwill off the Henchman? But if you're forbidding Goodwill on the Henchman, you aren't doing it on the more valuable Informer.

There aren't many ways for the players to find the Time Traveller - they only have the Alien's kill power to try killing people and seeing if they die. They might try spreading Goodwill around, and looking for the character you aren't blocking. They'll be less keen on that when Threads of Fate kicks in at Loop 2 though.

Loop 2 seems like kind of a freebie - the Girl Student is probably going to suicide on day 2. You might be able to prevent Butterfly Incident triggering and save that for Loop 3, but it's unlikely. The protagonists let it trigger in Loop 2, and poured Goodwill onto the Police Officer so we could find out the culprit, which was one of our better ideas I think.

Beyond that, I can't quite remember how the game played out. We managed to find all the friends, activate enough goodwill abilities without refusal that we narrows down the Cultist. It didn't go to the final guess, we managed to survive out the third loop.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.