GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,183 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Do you place trap tokens on the Massacre Tile (starting tile for this scenario)?

2. Do you place trap tokens on the start tile when it gets placed after revealing the Guard Room?

The rules indicate you place trap tiles when you reveal a tile from the stack. Just curious what happens with tiles that are placed by other triggers.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I would say yes you do place trap tokens. What would be the point of having them on the start tile, which is never drawn from the stack. I think that the mechanic is whenever a tile is placed, for whatever reasons, you then place trap tokens on the indicated spots.

Remember that the character must actually enter the square with the trap, not the tile, in order to set it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, so when I started the first scenario and laid out the Massacre Tile, I decided NOT to place the traps, since by strict reading of the rules, you shouldn't. (placing of traps is only explicitly addressed in the Exploration phase, not the Set-up)

However, I didn't even realize that the Start Tile had Trap spaces until I pulled it after finding the Guard Room. At that point, I put trap tokens on it, since it was placed as part of the scenario.

But I think Recreant has a point--though the Start tile might occasionally be drawn during an adventure due to special rules, otherwise, those Trap spaces would never get used.

I'm guessing the intention was that every time you see a Trap Space, it should get covered with a Trap tile, no matter how the tie was placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Invictus5000 wrote:

I'm guessing the intention was that every time you see a Trap Space, it should get covered with a Trap tile, no matter how the tie was placed.

Definitely. Peter Lee said as much in his designer diary, they put trap tokens on the start tile so that players would become accustomed to them asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I agree with the logic of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.