Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This expansion for Ticket to Ride four tickets from the Mystery Train expansion, 35 new "1910" tickets, plus the original 30 tickets (a couple have had their point values reduced). It also includes a replacement deck for the train cards. The tickets and train cards are full sized in the expansion, not the small cards of the original game. Also included is a "Globetrotter" card that replaces the longest train bonus. This card is for the player who completes the most tickets, and is worth 15 points instead of the 10 for longest train.

The rules include four different ways to play:
1. You can play the regular rules using the original tickets (the rules comment that four of the original tickets have had their values revised downward).
2. You can play the 1910 version, which uses the 1910 tickets and the Globetrotter card and the regular rules.
3. You can play the Big City version, which uses the 35 tickets marked with one of the "big cities" on the map (New York, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, and Seattle). In this version you draw four tickets and keep at least two at the start of the game. During the game you also draw four but need to keep at least one.
4. Finally, you can play the "Mega Game" where you use all the tickets. Draw five tickets and keep at least three at the start of the game; draw four and keep at least one during the game.

We played this for the first time tonight. We used just the 1910 tickets. These are all new connections, with different point values. Playing where you don't have to build the longest single train for the bonus changed the way I built my trains. For a time I was confused and built two connections to Dallas, which ended up inadvertantly blocking one of my opponents, so it wasn't too disappointing :-) By the end of the game the layout of trains looked very different from our typical games of Ticket to Ride. There were only two 6-train routes completed, and most of our rail networks were disconnected. I think that was a good thing, the new tickets changed the nature of the game for us.

I liked the new tickets. We all started working in the center of the board almost from the beginning of the game. I had no idea what my opponents were thinking about doing, since I didn't know the ticket distribution. This made board play a little more tense. The drive to complete tickets instead of grow your single train line made ticket drawing an attractive option during the game, and I found myself drawing tickets more often than I usually do.

I also like the new train deck. The wild engine cards have the different colors listed on them as the symbols on the colored track instead of just little squares. They look nicer and are just a bit easier to distinguish from regular train cards in your hand. The backs of the train cards are more distinctly different from the tickets than in the original deck as well, which is a minor point but does make a difference when packing up the game. The biggest difference is that they are MUCH easier to shuffle.

I ended up winning with 105 points before the 15 point "globetrotter" bonus. (Each of us had completed the same number of tickets, so my score would actually be 120).

Downsides to this expansion: There are almost none. If I had to really get picky, I do note that the expansion comes in a metal tin that won't fit inside your Ticket to Ride game box unless you throw out your insert. The lid to the tin comes off easily and that means the cards could get lost. I solved this by bagging the cards and tickets in ziplock bags and packing them in my game box inside the insert.

Second picky comment: When more than one player ties for the "globetrotter" bonus, do both the tied players get it? I suppose they do, but the rules aren't in the expansion and it has been so long since I read the original rules to see what the rule for longest train was so I wasn't sure. I think everyone gets the longest train bonus, so everyone who is tied should get the globetrotter bonus as well. (very picky point, I know). One more thing on this bonus. Since when is going aound the US and southern Canada considered "globetrotting?" Poor choice of name for that bonus.

Third picky comment: Are you supposed to use the longest train bonus or the globetrotter bonus with the Big Cities game? What about with the Mega Game? Since Days of Wonder specified everything else, it seems like they could have specified this as well.

Fourth comment, which is acutally a question. The 1910 expansion includes 4 tickets from the Mystery Train expansion. I wonder what else was in that expansion? I ordered it as part of an order placed by someone else, and never got my copy (long story). Was there more to that expansion than the 4 tickets? Should the entire expansion have been reprinted as part of the 1910 set?

Overall, I had a very favorable first impression of this expansion, and am really looking forward to playing with the new tickets quite a few times in the next couple of weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Fourth comment, which is acutally a question. The 1910 expansion includes 4 tickets from the Mystery Train expansion. I wonder what else was in that expansion? I ordered it as part of an order placed by someone else, and never got my copy (long story). Was there more to that expansion than the 4 tickets? Should the entire expansion have been reprinted as part of the 1910 set?

There were also a few characters in the deck, but I don't think they added much to the game:

(2x) Engineer: You could play this guy instead of your whole turn. It let you rummage through the ticket pile and take a ticket of your choice. This one is way too powerful ... And if you'd already completed one of the two routes along the top of the board, grabbing the other one was a game winner.

Tycoon: 10 points at the end of the game if you've gone coast-to-coast

Engineer: Double the value of one completed ticket (worth 10 or less) at the end of the game

Station Agent: 10 point bonus if you've visited the most cities.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.