Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which horse is on the left. Looking at the log sheet, you would think that horse #1 is on the left since it is at the top of the list. The left wheel is above the right wheel on the log sheet, so it makes sense that they would correspond. However, a look at the Team Speed Chart shows that horse #1 is as fast or faster than horse #4. Isn't this backwards? Wouldn't the faster horse be on the outside (horse #4)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as all players adopt the same approach then it doesn't matter which is left. I have always played that horse #1 is left as that is the way the charioteer (you) would view them and it matches the format of the sheet.

If you don't like the horse speed set up then swap the horses over before the race starts. Most of the poor old nags end up as dog food and glue at the end anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bowsher
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
My experience has been that it's the drivers that end up as dog food much more than the horses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are numbered from left to right. Rule 3.63. It's also mentioned in the Designer's notes, 6th paragraph. (At least it is in my rulebook)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually the number representing the horse not only is suppose to represent it speed but also how much damage it takes before it dies so it also acts as a strength or hit point number. In the designer notes in the rulebook it says this"The strongest,and sometimes the fastest,horse was always posted on the far left hand side in Roman races.This is reflected in the rules and if new teams are constructed this advice should be followed to the letter".So if you look at most of the horse teams horse number 1 which is the horse closest to the inside wall and horse number 4 which is closest to the outside wall have the highest numbers and horse 2 and 3 in the middle are usually real low.Hope this helps to understand this a bit.This game is one of my favorites but most folks do not like spending 2-3 hours playing this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
United States
California
flag msg tools
As someone who has horses, it makes perfect sense for the strongest horse to be on the inside of the corner. That is the leverage point that the rest of the team will be pulling around as they attempt to make that corner.

I would also note that in the designer notes it states that the strongest/fastest horse was always placed on the inside. It also goes on to state this is a requirement in the rules.

Does anyone know where that requirement is?

In a recent game, a player had two of his horses killed. He has purchased replacements and is shuffling his team around to fit them in but we have not found an explicit set of rules about horse strength and placement in the team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the Team Speed Chart, I'd say follow these rules in assigning where each horse is on the team based on his strength:
( LH = Leftmost Horse; LC = Left Center; RC = Right Center; RH = Rightmost horse)

LH = Strongest/Equal Strongest horse
LC = Equal Second/Third Strongest Horse
RC = Weakest/Equal Weakest Horse
RH = Equal Strongest/Second Strongest/Equal Second Horse

For example, a team of 6,5,5,4 eould be aligned as:

6545, or

Strongest (6), Equal Second (5), Weakest (4), Equal Second (5).

a team of 6,6,5,4 would be:

6546, or

Equal Strongest (6), Second Strongest (5), Weakest (4), Equal Strongest (6).

That's how I'd play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fausto Barbarito
Italy
Roma
(RM)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasH wrote:
I would also note that in the designer notes it states that the strongest/fastest horse was always placed on the inside. It also goes on to state this is a requirement in the rules.

Does anyone know where that requirement is?

In a recent game, a player had two of his horses killed. He has purchased replacements and is shuffling his team around to fit them in but we have not found an explicit set of rules about horse strength and placement in the team.

Hello Thomas,
as someone have posted before me, the requirement about the strongest horse on the far left hand is stated in the Designer's Notes, page 13, 6th paragraph of the Second Edition Rulebook.

As for the correct placement of the horses according to their strength in case of replacements or campaign games (where you can buy whole teams), you can read The General, Vol 17 N. 5, page 6, Optional Rules, A More Detailed Specification Method, paragraph 2a.

You can download that General issue here:
http://www.ahgeneral.org/index/v17/AH_GEN_V17N5.pdf (585 MB, takes more than 1 hour to download).

I'm pasting the relevant info below:
"A player must have four horses. Horse Four may not be faster than Horse One, Horse Two may not be faster than Horse Four, and Horse Three may not be faster than Horse Two."

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.